• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Iupati / Crabtree Re-sign or Don't Thread

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm going to hijack this old thread to expand the conversation a little bit. I want to talk about whom to keep and whom to let go.

Kendall Hunter: He's a FA now as far as the Niners are concerned (unless he's going to try to make a recovery for the postseason a' la Jerry Rice, but I hope he doesn't try that). I want him to come back. He shouldn't cost too much at all, and he's a solid player. I hope the Niners can get him back on a 1-year contract. Maybe 2. He'll be 28 around the beginning of next season.

Chris Culliver: RE-SIGN HIM NOW PLEASE!!!

Glen Dorsey: Want him back long term. Better than Ian Williams IMO (whom I want the Niners to try to trade). He could be the NT of the next 5 years. I'd offer an extension.

Boone: Let his contract expire & see what he does. It's a perfect excuse to send a message that holding out won't help you. Plus the Niners have Thomas waiting in the wings.

Looney: Meh. He'll be a RFA, so he'll stick around 1 more year; but I don't really want him around long term. Not impressed.

Vernon: Franchise tag. He has 2 more years under contract; let the contract expire & use the tag on him if he's still playing great. That is, of course, if Aldon Smith has been re-signed by that time.

Lamichael James: Bye.

Stevie Johnson: due to make like 6 million next year. I can't image the Niners keeping him unless he comes along & steals one of the starting jobs from Crabby or Boldin. However, they did spend a 4th-round pick on the guy, so I could be wrong.

The calculus on Looney and Johnson changes depending on what shakes out with the two guys headlining this thread. If we lose Boone and Iupati in the near future, Looney becomes a much more valuable piece. If he plays well in the preseason, I would strongly consider giving him the same sort of deal we gave Boone in 2011.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The calculus on Looney and Johnson changes depending on what shakes out with the two guys headlining this thread. If we lose Boone and Iupati in the near future, Looney becomes a much more valuable piece. If he plays well in the preseason, I would strongly consider giving him the same sort of deal we gave Boone in 2011.

True. Looney has a chance to change my mind, but I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I think mamma's-boy Johnathan Martin might have a better chance of being a good guard in Harbaugh's offense than Looney does, and I can't stand Martin.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke: 49ers will try to extend Iupati, Crabtree | CSN Bay Area

According to sources neither one is even close.

Not much of a surprise since it seems Iupati and the 9ers are dug in to how much they are willing to go on a contract and Crabtree knows this could be a career year for him that will drive up his price.

If I'm the Niners I'm thinking this won't be a career year for Crabbers since Boldin, VD, Stevie J and possibly B-Lloyd are all accomplished pass catchers. 2013 will not be a year when the fullback has the 3rd most catches on the team three quarters of the way through the season. Then again, I still predict Crabtree to amass 900-1,050 yards, so I guess it could technically be a career year for him in relative terms, but not the same way it would have been a career year if he'd been healthy last year.

I just think Crabtree is going to have a harder time arguing he deserves a ridiculously large contract if he barely pushes 1,000 yards and there are anywhere from 12 to 20 WRs with better numbers than him at the end of the season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"This year, the franchise number for a wide receiver was $12.312 million, while the tag was $11.654 for an offensive lineman. Some increase can be expected next season."

Yikes! I had no idea it was that high. Wow. :(

Yeah, they group all OL together, which really screws you if you've got a good guard or center. Kind of BS they distinguish between DE and DT but not OT and C.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yeah, they group all OL together, which really screws you if you've got a good guard or center. Kind of BS they distinguish between DE and DT but not OT and C.

Yep.

Looks like they're both gone. Crap.

...Well, crap that Iupati will be gone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's just a guard. we'll be alright....

He's not just a guard. He's probably the best guard in the NFL when he's not struggling with injuries. And the strength of the Niners' team is this: The pass rush and the OL. As goes the OL so goes any Harbaugh offense. If you want proof just watch the NFCCG before he broke his leg & then watch it after.

I would have no problem making him the top-paid guard in the NFL, but I was hoping the Niners would be able to use the tag on him if a deal couldn't be struck. At 11+ million that's not gonna happen. :(

...Well if they aren't even close to a deal, I say act as if you're assuming he's gone & extend Culliver, Dorsey & Kendall Hunter & maybe even sign a WR in the offseason (not named Michael Crabtree).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]501878706756141056[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

Looks like it's going to be Crabs over Iupati which is no surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like it's going to be Crabs over Iupati which is no surprise.

Maybe somehow we can still keep both if say Gore retires or leaves.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
how do you post the embedded tweet?

Just post the twitter link like you would any other URL and it will automatically pop up embedded.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Why 49ers are making push to lock up Crabtree | CSN Bay Area

I'm surprised Crabs is willing to take an incentive laden contract.

He doesn't strike me as the type that would and assuming he stays healthy he should have a big year and have no problem with a team paying him a big time contract without incentives.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why 49ers are making push to lock up Crabtree | CSN Bay Area

I'm surprised Crabs is willing to take an incentive laden contract.

He doesn't strike me as the type that would and assuming he stays healthy he should have a big year and have no problem with a team paying him a big time contract without incentives.
Due to his injury history, Crabtree is willing to accept a contract that is heavy in incentives, according to the report
I really find this difficult to believe and would consider this whole thing a BS article. Since when has Crabs been a real team guy and not out just for him?:bullshit:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really find this difficult to believe and would consider this whole thing a BS article. Since when has Crabs been a real team guy and not out just for him?:bullshit:

I suppose outside of the whole rookie contract holdout there hasn't been really issues with him so maybe he isn't as me first as he seems.

The whole rookie holdout could've been him taking bad advice from his team as well so I do give it some merit considering Maiocco is the one on it as well

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
cause don't think Crabtree has enough performance, ie stats, to justify BIG money? from his rookie year to now, is his body of work 'big money'?

so makes sense to take a good contract BUT, with added incentives to make it 'big'. isn't this similar to Kaep, believing in what you're going to do?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
cause don't think Crabtree has enough performance, ie stats, to justify BIG money? from his rookie year to now, is his body of work 'big money'?

so makes sense to take a good contract BUT, with added incentives to make it 'big'. isn't this similar to Kaep, believing in what you're going to do?

He would get big money because the market would dictate that.

Looking at the past couple of years the money WR have gotten he would likely command more than guys like Eric Decker and Golden Tate and there is always some team out there willing to pay that price.