• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Iupati / Crabtree Re-sign or Don't Thread

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still cheaper than the WR numbers, and I'm not saying Iupati isn't worth it, just saying it's a solid chunk of change.

I definitely don't think Crabtree is worth it

I expect both to pursue huge deals, with Potty trying to become the highest paid guard (and wouldn't be surprised if he succeeds).

I'm inclined to let both walk unless they can be had for reasonable contracts. Maybe tag Potty for a year if we have the Kap room next year (but doesn't the extra cap space carry over from year to year? If so, I might not even want to tag Potty. I would hope one of Thomas, Kilgore, or Looney could be plugged in and be solid).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I definitely don't think Crabtree is worth it

I expect both to pursue huge deals, with Potty trying to become the highest paid guard (and wouldn't be surprised if he succeeds).

I'm inclined to let both walk unless they can be had for reasonable contracts. Maybe tag Potty for a year if we have the Kap room next year (but doesn't the extra cap space carry over from year to year? If so, I might not even want to tag Potty. I would hope one of Thomas, Kilgore, or Looney could be plugged in and be solid).

I think there's a fair chance we tag Iupati and let Crabtree walk. Not confident we'll sign either to a longterm contract, frankly. Should make for some high comp picks, anyway. I'd love to see Looney play well in camp/preseason. That would give us the leverage to let both Iupati and Boone walk, though I hate to shake up the OL so much.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a fair chance we tag Iupati and let Crabtree walk. Not confident we'll sign either to a longterm contract, frankly. Should make for some high comp picks, anyway. I'd love to see Looney play well in camp/preseason. That would give us the leverage to let both Iupati and Boone walk, though I hate to shake up the OL so much.
IMO Boone has a beef for wanting more money but I would have hoped this would come out next season. I can never understand why players want to hold out 2 years before the end of the contract. I feel that Crabs will be tagged and the 9ers will work out a deal with Iupati.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO Boone has a beef for wanting more money but I would have hoped this would come out next season. I can never understand why players want to hold out 2 years before the end of the contract. I feel that Crabs will be tagged and the 9ers will work out a deal with Iupati.

I sympathize a lot more with Boone than I do with Vernon. Boone signed his contract when he was basically a backup. He has been one of the better OGs in the league the past couple years, even if he struggled a bit last year. He's clearly outperformed the contract. That said, if he's not coming into camp, we should do everything in our power to replace him. If we can adequately replace him for less, we need to do that.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can also see the Niners, having drafted Martin and Thomas as insurance for Iupati, having traded for Stevie Johnson who is under control for another three seasons IIRC, simply slap down a 5 yr/40 mil with 16 guaranteed offer in front of both of them and say "first to reach for it gets it." The team is deep enough to let one of them walk, possibly both, but I would like to have the consistency that those vets buy us.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can also see the Niners, having drafted Martin and Thomas as insurance for Iupati, having traded for Stevie Johnson who is under control for another three seasons IIRC, simply slap down a 5 yr/40 mil with 16 guaranteed offer in front of both of them and say "first to reach for it gets it." The team is deep enough to let one of them walk, possibly both, but I would like to have the consistency that those vets buy us.

:clap: exactly how I feel about this situation. And to be honest that would be a fair market value for both players since Pouncy just signed for similar deal and he is considered one of the better guards in the NFL

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who ever accepts a 5 year 40 million dollar contract 1st

You know what they say about great minds? I think this applies here! :suds:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may be a really stupid comment, so please, feel free to let me know! Anyway, I wonder if there isn't some value to letting Crabtree walk as long as Johnson is good in terms of Kaep's development. As as been discussed to death Kaep has a tendency to focus on Crabtree who is most often the number one option, to the exclusion of other receivers. As long as we had someone good to take his place, maybe it'd be better for Kaep not to have Crabtree to lock onto.
As far as Iupati goes, if he plays like he's earned it I'd try to keep him. A good oline is key and lineman tend to last a long time in the NFL.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO our O line is vastly overrated. we couldn't run worth a shit in the NFC CC. I like Iupati, but guards are like RB's these days-- a dime a dozen. sign Boone to a respectable contract and let Iupati walk.

As far as Crabs? he's a first down machine, and I like his grit in big games. Sign him if the cap allows it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
IMO our O line is vastly overrated. we couldn't run worth a shit in the NFC CC. I like Iupati, but guards are like RB's these days-- a dime a dozen. sign Boone to a respectable contract and let Iupati walk.

As far as Crabs? he's a first down machine, and I like his grit in big games. Sign him if the cap allows it.

1. Nobody runs well against the Seahawks. And few run well at all against any NFC West teams.
2. Boone wouldn't accept a "respectable" contract. He's going to get paid like one of the top guards in football.
3. Great guards are not a dime a dozen. Remember how long the OL was terrible? Remember high draft picks like Rachal & Smiley? Remember how unimpressive picks like Kilgore & Looney have been? And remember how high of draft picks were used on elite guard prospects like Zack Martin (16), Xavier Su'a-Filo (33), Chance Warmack (10), Jonathan Cooper (7) ---Cooper is probably a C, but he can play guard; and that goes even further to show the interior OL's importance)---, Kyle Long (20), David DeCastro (24, which was a steal)...

Are picks like 7, 10, 16, 20, 24 & 33 a dime a dozen?

And we're talking about an offense that lives or dies on the play of the OL. It's run-heavy, and Kaepernick is a slow defense-reader / ball-releaser. A Harbaugh offense (especially w/ Kaepernick at the helm) is not going to be good without a great OL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone thinks he is a lot better then what he really is. I have no problem losing him with the recent drafts that we have had.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone thinks he is a lot better then what he really is. I have no problem losing him with the recent drafts that we have had.

Or he is paid the least of all the starting guards in the NFL. Boone is the only player that has a grievance with his contract on the team IMO.

2014 NFL Top Base Salaries - Guard

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Or he is paid the least of all the starting guards in the NFL. Boone is the only player that has a grievance with his contract on the team IMO.

2014 NFL Top Base Salaries - Guard

No he's not. He's tied for 24th in terms of base salary. There are 64 starting guards in the league. Don't get me wrong; I think Boone has a much stronger argument than Davis, and if he's willing to agree to a reasonable contract that pays him as, say, a top-10 guard, I'd strongly consider it (pending how discussions are going with Iupati, can't keep them both and I'd prefer Iupati all things being eqaul). But he's getting paid more than a lot of OGs.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he's not. He's tied for 24th in terms of base salary. There are 64 starting guards in the league. Don't get me wrong; I think Boone has a much stronger argument than Davis, and if he's willing to agree to a reasonable contract that pays him as, say, a top-10 guard, I'd strongly consider it (pending how discussions are going with Iupati, can't keep them both and I'd prefer Iupati all things being eqaul). But he's getting paid more than a lot of OGs.

For some reason in my head there is only 1 guard per team and when I say some players making the same amount I figured that equaled 32 :L

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For some reason in my head there is only 1 guard per team and when I say some players making the same amount I figured that equaled 32 :L

No worries, easy mistake to make. Regardless, Boone has outperformed his contract over the past two years. Especially with his added value as the backup tackle.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Boone thinks he is a lot better then what he really is.

How good does he think he is, and how good is he really?

Because I think Boone thinks he's one of the best guards in the NFC, and I think Boone is one of the best guards in the NFC.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, I think he is average, now I would rather pay him a smaller salary and have a chance with Crabtree then pay Iupati what he wants and lose both. But I think Boone is one of our worst OL

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
9. San Francisco 49ers (1st)
PB: 13th, RB: 3rd, PEN: 31st

Stud: Another excellent year from Joe Staley (+27.7) who, after a slow start to life in the NFL, has peaked as an elite left tackle. Exactly what the team had hoped for, with his contract looking extremely 49er-friendly right now.
Dud: A bit of a fall back to Earth year for Alex Boone (-1.9). A revelation last year, he was always somewhat prone to getting beat in pass protection and this year that propelled him to a slightly negative grade.

Analysis: It was by no means terrible, but given what we saw from this unit last year still extremely disappointing. In 2012 they bullied teams and won their matchups with ease. This year they were just very good, making life a little harder for their backs. Credit to them for raising our expectations to the level that even with four of five starters earning positive run blocking grades, we still want more.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm going to hijack this old thread to expand the conversation a little bit. I want to talk about whom to keep and whom to let go.

Kendall Hunter: He's a FA now as far as the Niners are concerned (unless he's going to try to make a recovery for the postseason a' la Jerry Rice, but I hope he doesn't try that). I want him to come back. He shouldn't cost too much at all, and he's a solid player. I hope the Niners can get him back on a 1-year contract. Maybe 2. He'll be 28 around the beginning of next season.

Chris Culliver: RE-SIGN HIM NOW PLEASE!!!

Glen Dorsey: Want him back long term. Better than Ian Williams IMO (whom I want the Niners to try to trade). He could be the NT of the next 5 years. I'd offer an extension.

Boone: Let his contract expire & see what he does. It's a perfect excuse to send a message that holding out won't help you. Plus the Niners have Thomas waiting in the wings.

Looney: Meh. He'll be a RFA, so he'll stick around 1 more year; but I don't really want him around long term. Not impressed.

Vernon: Franchise tag. He has 2 more years under contract; let the contract expire & use the tag on him if he's still playing great. That is, of course, if Aldon Smith has been re-signed by that time.

Lamichael James: Bye.

Stevie Johnson: due to make like 6 million next year. I can't image the Niners keeping him unless he comes along & steals one of the starting jobs from Crabby or Boldin. However, they did spend a 4th-round pick on the guy, so I could be wrong.