• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Horse and the Rider; A Wanderer's Tale

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game should say a lot about both teams. The Chiefs may very well make the playoffs anyway even if the lose both of their remaining games, but I don't think any reasonable person would have confidence in them if they did so. And quite frankly, this should be a game they win at home, with several players available that were not against Denver. This act with teams on the playoff fringe winning in Arrowhead is getting real old-- fast. It could perhaps be argued the Chiefs are in the tailend of a stretch where they have faced 6 consecutive playoff caliber teams, including a very impressive 3 game run against the Broncos on the road, the Falcons on the road, and the Raiders at home. That's similar to the quality of opposition you would face on a superbowl run off of a bye. Or perhaps reaching a SB as a WC. With that in mind, I wouldn't stick a fork in the team but confidence in this team to be beyond pretty good would be pretty shaken with a loss.

It would a final indictment of the Smith era as well, imo. Looking back at this season, it does beg the question looking at some of these losses: "How did it come to this?"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is going to come down to which team is better. Plain and simple. I know thats a John Madden statement but both teams are coming off a loss where each team's offense just flat out sucked. The weather should be nice and every player on both teams will be playing with heart like its a playoff game.

With the arrival of a 2nd working CB, the Chiefs matchup really well with the Broncos on defense. I just dont know if the offense is going to have the same kind of prowess since the last time they played.

On paper this should be a low scoring slugfest and I think the Chiefs should be 3-6 pt favorites but my gut is telling me that one team is going to blow out the other team and i have no idea which team is going to get shot down. I just know that both teams are going into this pretty amped.

Last edited:

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this could be one of the best, most competitive games of the year. With their sputtering offense, there is no way that the Broncos should be able to sneak out a win at Arrowhead but both of these teams are amped, pissed off and on a mission to show that they are better than their recent record indicates. The Chiefs have an edge being at home with a chance to secure a guaranteed playoff birth but the Bronco come in knowing that a loss probably ends their playoff chances. Achieving a goal vs. desperation. Which one wins out? Throwing in the fact that these are bitter divisional rivals, I think this game could be epic. Both teams will leave every ounce of themselves on that field Christmas Night.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not appear Justin March will be ready for the game. Oh lord have mercy for this run defense with DJ Alexander back there.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
f677ebdf-1b68-4a7a-917c-992b011ed88f.png

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I could be misreading this, but McGloin is going to be the starter in Denver next week. The plot thickens.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the kind of game that lead me to have a lot of optimism in the offense to begin the year, but... I still remember the rest of the season. Sure hope it continues though.

Top offensive grades:

TE Travis Kelce, 85.6

OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff, 81.8

RB Spencer Ware, 791

OG Zach Fulton, 78.9

OT Mitchell Schwartz, 78.6

Monster first half by Kelce leads to critical win

Kelce led the way early with three excellent blocks on big Kansas City runs, two of them directly resulting in the Chiefs’ first two touchdowns, then made a monster play of his own by taking a screen pass 80 yards for a score. He finished the day with 11 receptions on 12 targets for 160 yards and the touchdown. The offensive line also had an outstanding day, especially in pass protection. The unit gave up just four total pressures, three of them by LT Eric Fisher.

Top defensive grades:

CB Marcus Peters, 84.1

OLB Dee Ford, 82.7

DE Chris Jones, 81.4

S Ron Parker, 78.1

CB Terrance Mitchell, 76.1

Secondary shuts down Denver receiving corps

The usual suspects pressured Denver QB Trevor Siemian, while the secondary was collectively outstanding. Rookie DE Chris Jones tallied five total pressures, while OLB Dee Ford put seven on the board, three of them hits. CBs Marcus Peters and Terrance Mitchell were tested a combined 12 times in coverage and gave up just four total catches for 47 yards with two pass breakups. S Daniel Sorensen was targeted the most (nine times), but limited Denver receivers to just 45 yards on six catches.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would think March would be available for next week. We'll see how Houston is feeling by then as well.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would think March would be available for next week. We'll see how Houston is feeling by then as well.

yeah, here's hoping. Houston is hurt way too often for my taste, and even though Dee Ford has proven adequate we're certainly gonna need him in the playoffs...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the kind of game that lead me to have a lot of optimism in the offense to begin the year, but... I still remember the rest of the season. Sure hope it continues though.
The opening drive gave me a lot of hope. They were basically playing rock paper scissiors with the LBs and S or Denver and they marched down the field.

Then they had the 2 big plays on the edge punishing an overly aggressive Denver scheme. Denver's scheme is elite until someone misses a tackle or makes a huge block and KC was better suited for the weather. Denver D was also massively beat up but it reminded me a lot of some of the things KC did against Atlanta. Ultimately I think both defenses gave the other team's offense very little respect and the Chiefs just looked a ton better. Maclin was a non factor and I wonder if he is still banged up. He was basically just a decoy all game but he did occupy one of the better Denver defenders at all time which is good. Hill is very rough around the edges as a WR because teams are physical with him throwing off his timing and attacking the edge assuming that he is always going to cut outside with his speed. He is an excellent weapon but isnt mature enough of a player to be the focal point of the offense. Kelce, on the other hand, has that potential to take over games. By my estimation he is the most important player on the Chiefs offense if they want to win a Super Bowl.

The big mistake the Chiefs made on offense was obviously the awful Alex Smith INT. He got pressured and made the throw to the only guy he shouldn't have been throwing to. That play never had a chance at all. That can't happen in the playoffs but other than that its hard to complain about the offense. There were a couple of bad penalties on the oline but nothing to lose sleep over. It just means that they have something to talk about when they look back at film. I couldnt figure out one of the offsides penalties but that type of thing is hard to see on the field even with a 2nd look.

The defense obviously played well. They got pressure but didn't actually get to the QB too often. That seems to be a product of their scheme. Its up to the secondary to hold up when teams play KC a certain way and the secondary was the best Ive seen it all year since the Jets game. The obvious thing to point out is that the Chiefs Defense looks a lot better when the opposing QB isnt comfortable. Carr had a TON of issues and might have been banged up or something and Simian...wow...lots of issues. He looked like a QB that was on nobody's radar to be drafted. Really struggled with the rain and all of the passes to Peters direction were lulz. Peters was the receiver almost every time IIRC. Mitchell played more of a shadow role. The definition of a bend but dont break kind of player. I believe he had one play where he was left on an island with DeMaryius Thomas and gave up a reception but its one of those things where the Chiefs had a guy off the street covering a near elite level WR and looking somewhat respectable. The secondary is probably on par or slightly better than it was entering the playoffs last year and that seems like a Christmas miracle.

Now if they can get that #2 seed and stay healthy....that would be quite the trick. Nobody wants to see KC/Houston again.