• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News Is Ranking The NHL Logos From 30 to 1

Phantomphan

Beta Tester
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because they were wrong on their pre-season prediction of which teams would play in the SCF, their opinion on team logos is invalid?

Show me a single person who posted in the pre-season that the Kings would beat the Rangers in the SCF. I will then ask that person for their opinion on all 30 NHL team logos.

I posted this on my twitter account but it got such a large negative reaction that I had to take it down and apologise for it.

Phantomphan

Beta Tester
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the LA Kings look better know that they did originally. The color scheme was horrible.

I like the new look Canucks too. The jumping Orca with a bit of Native American design looks good to me.

My top three picks would be the Blackhawks, the Leafs and the Habs. I think I like Montreal's sweater more because of the history of the club than anything else.

There were a lot of bad color schemes in the 70's.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 17: Edmonton Oilers

oilersfrontpage-640x427.jpg

By placing Edmonton at No. 17 on our list, that leaves the Montreal Canadiens with the No. 1 logo among the seven Canadian teams. Will the Habs logo rank first among all NHL logos? You’ll have to wait and find out.

When our panel of seven THN staffers debated and argued over the Oilers design, the room was split on where it should rank against other NHL logos. Some thought the look was outdated and ugly, fit for the bottom-third of the league – a place the Oilers have become accustomed to in recent years. But others – like myself – enjoyed the design and pushed for a higher ranking than this.

And that goes to show how much these rankings are determined by personal tastes more than scientifically breaking down the aesthetics of each one. To each his own. After our voting was done, the Oilers ended up in that mushy middle. I’ll be interested to see what the commenters below think of the Oilers logo.

HISTORY OF THE OILERS LOGO
Did you know that, in their first year as a WHA team, the Oilers were called the Alberta Oilers? The Calgary (Broncos) team never got off the ground for the inaugural WHA season in 1972 and a provincial rivalry that was supposed to hatch that year never did. In response, the Oilers wanted to represent the province and intended to split their home games between Edmonton and Calgary. That plan never came to pass, though, as they stayed in Edmonton all season. After Year 1, the Oilers went back to calling themselves Edmonton as originally intended and, in 1975, the Calgary Cowboys joined the WHA after they relocated from Vancouver.

The Oilers look is a throwback in the modern day. Its font screams 1970s and the droopy, thick lettering adds to the character. It’s a look that also fits with the name. The original colors were a royal blue with an orange oil drop that really popped.

Now, the Oilers’ logo hasn’t changed very much at all in their history, but in their last years in the WHA, the color scheme did change on the jersey crest. However, I’m not sure this one was for the better. Although the official primary logo for Edmonton stayed the same, a lot of orange was added to it on the jersey. We’ve only been focusing on the primary logos for each team during these rankings, but because Edmonton’s has changed so little, we’re going to throw in these orange ones for you to look at, just to give you a taste of something a little different. These colors, when layered like this, clash horribly and are difficult to look at. Hard to believe this appeared on their jerseys.

Over the years, Edmonton’s royal blue text and orange oil drop were darkened to a navy blue and copper, but the logo itself didn’t change much. An orange circle was added around the blue outline in the mid-90s and, really, this was the biggest change made to the primary look. This circle has since been removed and more orange has been returned to the jersey, recapturing that classic Wayne Gretzky-era style.

Again, since there’s not been much change here in 40-plus years, it’s worth taking a look at two alternate logos Edmonton used for a few years in the mid-90s and early 2000’s. There’s the “mechanical” oil drop (which I think looks terrible) and an oil worker using a hockey stick as a lever. In my opinion, neither of these logos would have been an improvement – don’t fix what isn’t broken. What do you think?

Dissenting opinion: “I just love the color combination. The royal blue and, especially, the orange stands out. It’s a classic look with some flavor. When our group of seven debated these logo rankings, I had this one in my top five.” – Rory Boylen

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my opinion, but I prefer this logo...

Coilers.jpg

Even that is better than the Leaf

:behindsofa:

I've always felt the Oil logo was just "meh". I like the color combo, but the logo is kind of bland to me.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasnt for the liberal media spouting garbage about global warming the Oilers would be ranked much higher.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasnt for the liberal media spouting garbage about global warming the Oilers would be ranked much higher.

Coming soon to a NHL rink near you - The Edmonton Wind Farmers.