• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News Is Ranking The NHL Logos From 30 to 1

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Quiz

How many rivers are in this picture?

1229842.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "obvious"?

And one assumes it's "obvious" that there is no bloody way on earth that any of the other ones that this one writer thinks should be listed higher than the Leafuses should be there as well.

:exploding:

Fine.

Calgary's logo shouldn't be listed higher than the Leafs. That is absurd. It's a god damned flaming letter representing a city where the average daily low is below 50 fahrenheit no matter what time of year it is.

Happy? Yeesh.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a joke on the Bell Centre Tour that the Habs logo doesn't stand for Club de hockey Canadien, but CentreHice. I am no longer allowed inside the building.

Did you get a chance to point out that they spelled "Canadians" wrong?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:exploding:

Fine.

Calgary's logo shouldn't be listed higher than the Leafs. That is absurd. It's a god damned flaming letter representing a city where the average daily low is below 50 fahrenheit no matter what time of year it is.

Happy? Yeesh.

I have been in a bit of a snippy moody. Perhaps we should both save our efforts for when the Oilers comes up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Jackets logo more than the Leafs. The Leafs is just, well, a leaf. Dull, though I like the retro-third jersey version.

The Avs are at the bottom of this list, but to me have one of the best logos in the league.

These all come down to personal taste. As I mentioned earlier, the makers of these lists are generally going to give the nostalgia and history of Original 6 teams a bump. I try to consider it purely form a design/aesthetic standpoint. But again, it's personal taste, so nobody really has a right or wrong answer since sometimes something simple can be beautiful and something complicated ugly... and vice versa.

My understanding of the exercise was a group of writers got together to rate logos, and somehow one of the most iconic in the game ranks in the bottom third. It's odd.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding of the exercise was a group of writers got together to rate logos, and somehow one of the most iconic in the game ranks in the bottom third. It's odd.

I wouldn't call Orca "iconic'

:whistle:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to say "2", but I get the feeling this is a trick question?

Thumbs up for what I believe is Bob Rivers.

If it is not, I will retract it at once.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close one eye and put your foot on your forehead.

closed my right eye, started to bend my leg towards my head and a loud fart slid out
Guy in the cube behind me just stood up and fired his pencil at me:doh:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
closed my right eye, started to bend my leg towards my head and a loud fart slid out
Guy in the cube behind me just stood up and fired his pencil at me:doh:

Does he see the C-A-P-S ?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just skip to the part where the Devils have the number 1 logo already.

Damn, so close.

No. 18: New Jersey Devils

devilsfront-640x427.jpg

Jersey Devil, you’re up.

The New Jersey Devils franchise has been relocated twice before: from Kansas City to Colorado and from Colorado to New Jersey. Through that, the team has had three different nicknames and three vastly different logos, with slight variations made to the devilish look over three decades.

The history of this franchise was marred with failure until it finally found success in the 1990s after Martin Brodeur and the neutral zone trap came along. But before that came the Kansas City Scouts, who departed the city after just two seasons, and the Colorado Rockies, who made the post-season just once in their six years of existence and didn’t win a game. The most famous thing about the Rockies may be Hardy Astrom, made famous by coach Don Cherry who dubbed him ‘The Swedish Sieve.’ And Astrom only played two seasons with the team, while Cherry was behind the bench for only one before heading off to start Coach’s Corner. Of course, Colorado did also have the much better Chico Resch in net for their last season in the city before moving to New Jersey. But when I think of the Rockies, I think of Cherry and Astrom – because this team was just terrible.

The current Devil design is a clever logo that no one felt tremendously passionate about placing in the top 10, or despised enough to place in the bottom 10, so it fits in neatly to the middle of the pack.

HISTORY OF THE SCOUTS/ROCKIES/DEVILS LOGO
In 1967, the NHL began expanding into markets beyond the traditional Original Six. Six news teams were added in ’67, two more in 1970, another two in 1972 and the cycle ended with two more in 1974. The Kansas City Scouts were one of the teams added in ’74, but they didn’t last very long.

The Scouts were named after a statue in Penn Valley Park that depicts a Native American on horseback. According to VisitKC.com the “sculpture was originally created for the Panama-Pacific Expo held in San Francisco in 1915. On its return trip east, The Scout stopped over at Penn Valley Park. Citizens enjoyed the sculpture so much they raised $15,000 to purchase it for the city.”

The Scout statue that overlooks the city was featured in the Kansas City logo. The team was originally going to be named the Mohawks, to bring the border states Missouri and Kansas together. “MO” for Missouri and “hawks” to represent the Jayhawks of Kansas.

For a few reasons, not the least of which was a lack of attendance, the Scouts picked up and left for Colorado after just two seasons. Since the original team nickname reflected a Kansas City landmark, it obviously had to change. The Scouts became the Rockies, named, of course, after the mountainous region. Major League Baseball’s Colorado team also took this name when that league expanded into Denver.

The NHL franchise struggled in this market, too. Though they had some noteworthy players in their short history, the Rockies were a revolving door of coaches and players. The team found almost no success, reaching the post-season just once and leaving for the East Coast after just six seasons.

When the team moved for a second time, the nickname again had to change because it no longer made sense for the new city.

There were plenty of potential nicknames for the New Jersey team and it was ultimately settled on Devils. But the team isn’t named after the lord of the underworld, rather a mythical creature from the Pinelands that haunted (haunts?) the area. It’s a piece of local folklore that dates all the way back to the 17th century.

The Devils logo has horns, but it’s more clever than that. It has an “N” and a “J” built into it and, if you want, you can even make out a “D” for Devils. The original look outlined and circled the logo with green, which made for a pretty awesome jersey-pants color combination that we see in throwback uniforms today.

The Devils logo has only changed slightly in its time. In 1992-93, the green borders were turned black (why does everything have to be black!?), which is the look we know today. In the late-90s, the logo was modified only a little bit when the shade of red was darkened.

Dissenting opinion: “What else do you want in a logo? The Devils’ ‘N’ is direct and not over-designed. While it’s probably too strong to call it iconic, the Devils logo is instantly recognizable and I don’t think it’s a coincidence the team has essentially gone with the same look for its entire history.” -Ryan Kennedy

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New Jersey Devils franchise has been relocated twice before: from Kansas City to Colorado and from Colorado to New Jersey.

God, what a Mickey Mouse organization.

Actually like their logo a lot and am really glad they ditched the Christmas tree colors.