• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News Is Ranking The NHL Logos From 30 to 1

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HAHAHA exactly. This story just lost all credibility

Well, it did lose credibility but not because they say the Jackets logo is better than the Leafs and Sens ones. Although I do enjoy the hand wringing that the fans of the Leafs seem to have over the Blue Jackets. And maybe if the Leafs were any good, it could be a decent rivalry. But for a giant, very livable and pretty awesome city the fact that some citizens seem to have a major inferiority complex compared to a small, friendly city in the middle of cornfields is hilarious.

How many people came here and said that it was a prime example of how hockey was going to hell in a handbasket that Columbus jumped into the boat and knocked the Leafs out? Because one team of players bested another team of players, the sport was doomed and dogs and cats were going to live together. Cracks me up.

Dion Phaneuf is the captain and they got David Clarkson on purpose. But *Columbus* is everything that is wrong with with the game and our logo being better than theirs is a major flaw in reasoning. HA! They can't even spell "Leaves" correctly. Gosh darn it, if we'd only had the flag going the "right way". And realized that the Stars have a patent on the shape "star"...

Anyway where the article loses credibility is claiming that the name "Justice" was a finalist. No, the finalists were Blue Jackets, Clippers and Chill. And Blue Jackets not only refers to the uniforms warn by the Civil War soldiers, but a famous Indian Chief, Blue Jacket, who fought with them. Those soldiers didn't take their name from the clothing, they took their name from him.

Otherwise, yeah. It's average. Not as good as the alternate logo either. Nowhere near it.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Anyway where the article loses credibility is claiming that the name "Justice" was a finalist. No, the finalists were Blue Jackets, Clippers and Chill. And Blue Jackets not only refers to the uniforms warn by the Civil War soldiers, but a famous Indian Chief, Blue Jacket, who fought with them. Those soldiers didn't take their name from the clothing, they took their name from him...

I thought I recalled a different backstory than the one I saw above. Thanks for this!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway where the article loses credibility is claiming that the name "Justice" was a finalist. No, the finalists were Blue Jackets, Clippers and Chill. And Blue Jackets not only refers to the uniforms warn by the Civil War soldiers, but a famous Indian Chief, Blue Jacket, who fought with them. Those soldiers didn't take their name from the clothing, they took their name from him.

Otherwise, yeah. It's average. Not as good as the alternate logo either. Nowhere near it.

I'm not a Jackets fan (obviously), but the naming history, including Justice being a finalist, is right on the Jackets NHL.com page:
Naming a Team: The Story Behind the Blue Jackets Name - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So because they were wrong on their pre-season prediction of which teams would play in the SCF, their opinion on team logos is invalid?

Show me a single person who posted in the pre-season that the Kings would beat the Rangers in the SCF. I will then ask that person for their opinion on all 30 NHL team logos.

No, the story lost all credibility with me by ranking the Leafs below the CBJ. I am not poking fun at CBJ, just dont think it would rank higher thats all. If you told me a logo would rank higher than say a team emblem that is just words (a.k.a "Rangers") I would buy that.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it did lose credibility but not because they say the Jackets logo is better than the Leafs and Sens ones. Although I do enjoy the hand wringing that the fans of the Leafs seem to have over the Blue Jackets. And maybe if the Leafs were any good, it could be a decent rivalry. But for a giant, very livable and pretty awesome city the fact that some citizens seem to have a major inferiority complex compared to a small, friendly city in the middle of cornfields is hilarious.

How many people came here and said that it was a prime example of how hockey was going to hell in a handbasket that Columbus jumped into the boat and knocked the Leafs out? Because one team of players bested another team of players, the sport was doomed and dogs and cats were going to live together. Cracks me up.

Dion Phaneuf is the captain and they got David Clarkson on purpose. But *Columbus* is everything that is wrong with with the game and our logo being better than theirs is a major flaw in reasoning. HA! They can't even spell "Leaves" correctly. Gosh darn it, if we'd only had the flag going the "right way". And realized that the Stars have a patent on the shape "star"...

Easy big fella, stay on subject here. We are talking team logo's not cornfields and clarkson

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy big fella, stay on subject here. We are talking team logo's not cornfields and clarkson

So then explain why the article loses credibility? Because a recent expansion team logo is liked better by one guy than an original six?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many people came here and said that it was a prime example of how hockey was going to hell in a handbasket that Columbus jumped into the boat and knocked the Leafs out?

Were there any? Personally I don't remember reading any serious posts like this.

forty_three said:
HA! They can't even spell "Leaves" correctly.

It's a proper name. The same way that Randy Wolf's family are not "The Wolves", or that Dick Butkus and his family wouldn't have "The Butki" on their mailbox. But I'm guessing you already knew this.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry 43, I gotta side with Dragon on this. How many people did this? Well, let's see...there was DerringerEagle, and BlueandWhiteForever, and BlueWolfZero...all of which were the same (now banned) person.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 19: Calgary Flames

flamescover-640x427.jpg

Another Canadian team bites the dust.

At No. 19 in our NHL logo rankings come the Calgary Flames, a team transplanted from Atlanta in 1980. Starting from the bottom, we’re 12 logos into this process and five Canadian teams have already appeared. Not only does the biggest hockey nation struggle to put playoff teams on the ice, it appears they struggle with logos, as well. Edmonton and Montreal remain.

And judging by some of the comments at the bottom of previous logo posts, a lot of you would have liked to see the Flaming C of Calgary even lower in our rankings than 19. But, there are some people who love the red and yellow combination and the simplicity of the look. Where do you stand?

HISTORY OF THE FLAMES LOGO
The Flames started, of course, in Atlanta for the 1972-73 season as the NHL expanded to fight off the rival World Hockey Association. Atlanta joined the league at the same time as the New York Islanders and, well, didn’t have quite the same success.

The team nickname originated from the burning of Atlanta during the American Civil War and only lasted eight seasons in the American south. Citing heavy financial losses, team owner Tom Cousins sold the team to a Calgary group led by Nelson Skalbania, who once signed Wayne Gretzky with the Indianapolis Racers and then traded him to Edmonton just three years before landing the Calgary franchise.

The red and white A’s with a yellow border is a classic look and, in a way, still appears on the Calgary sweater for its assistant captains.

After the move to Calgary, the ownership group decided to keep the Flames name, which was still a pretty good fit for a team from oil-rich Alberta. Obviously, the “A” from Atlanta was changed to a “C” for Calgary, but the color scheme and spirit of the logo stayed the same.

In the mid-90s, black jerseys and logos became a fad because they’re supposedly intimidating, or something. During this time, the Flames added a black outline to their long-time logo and it got really bad when they decided to do something quirky with the band along the bottom of their jersey. But these rankings aren’t about jerseys – we just judged the primary logos themselves. To this day, the Flames use the black outline on their logo, but their throwback alternates get rid of it. And you know what? That just looks better, as throwbacks usually do.

Speaking of black jerseys and logos, the Flames home look is one of the biggest changes made to Calgary’s primary logo. Where they used to use a white “C” on their red jerseys, today they use a black “C” that fits better with the increased use of the color on the jersey. Some think black is an overused color in professional sports these days – what say you, Flames fans? No matter what, it’s at least miles better than the awful horse head alternate.

Dissenting opinion: “Sometimes simplicity deserves love. The Flames logo keeps a tie to their Atlanta origins, but more than that, yellow is a stand out color not used too much in professional sports. I couldn’t see it as a top 10 logo (and I’m not a fan of the increased use of black), but the unique color scheme and clean look deserve a nod.” – Rory Boylen

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry 43, I gotta side with Dragon on this. How many people did this? Well, let's see...there was DerringerEagle, and BlueandWhiteForever, and BlueWolfZero...all of which were the same (now banned) person.

Maybe it was mostly him/them/it. Felt like there was more, though. I know blindbaby and Dragon weren't that way.

At other places it was pretty obnoxious, but maybe here it wasn't so bad beyond that one shit head.

It's a proper name. The same way that Randy Wolf's family are not "The Wolves", or that Dick Butkus and his family wouldn't have "The Butki" on their mailbox. But I'm guessing you already knew this.

:thumb:

I have long held that they should be called the Leafuses.

I'm not a Jackets fan (obviously), but the naming history, including Justice being a finalist, is right on the Jackets NHL.com page:
Naming a Team: The Story Behind the Blue Jackets Name - Columbus Blue Jackets - News

I think the owner wanted that name, but the voting was not kind to the concept. Although a gavel would make a fine phallic mascot.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know of anybody who begrudged the Jackets getting in over the Leafs. From what I recall, the Jackets had the Leafs' number by a pretty sizeable margin this season.

Just stating the obvious, that in no bloody way on earth should the Jackets' logo be listed as higher in preference than the Leafs'.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense now. I don't think any remotely reasonable Leafs fan thought the Leafs should be in the playoffs over any team that made it. We all knew they stunk, even before the collapse.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just skip to the part where the Devils have the number 1 logo already.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just stating the obvious, that in no bloody way on earth should the Jackets' logo be listed as higher in preference than the Leafs'.

The "obvious"?

And one assumes it's "obvious" that there is no bloody way on earth that any of the other ones that this one writer thinks should be listed higher than the Leafuses should be there as well.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then explain why the article loses credibility? Because a recent expansion team logo is liked better by one guy than an original six?

egg- actly.

Remove the unnecessary adjectives recent and expansion.

Plain and simple one is better than the other.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be assume if that were the case though.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the Jackets logo more than the Leafs. The Leafs is just, well, a leaf. Dull, though I like the retro-third jersey version.

The Avs are at the bottom of this list, but to me have one of the best logos in the league.

These all come down to personal taste. As I mentioned earlier, the makers of these lists are generally going to give the nostalgia and history of Original 6 teams a bump. I try to consider it purely form a design/aesthetic standpoint. But again, it's personal taste, so nobody really has a right or wrong answer since sometimes something simple can be beautiful and something complicated ugly... and vice versa.