• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News Is Ranking The NHL Logos From 30 to 1

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My heart says ...
Red-wings-logo.jpg

But this team is too iconic ...
montreal-canadiens-canadians-logo-wallpaper.jpg

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 13: Montreal Canadiens

HABSMAIN-640x427.jpg

Another Original Six team falls in the THN logo rankings. This time, it’s the Original Six team, the New York Yankees of hockey, the most storied, most successful franchise in the history of the sport. And that’s why plenty of rabid fans have probably oiled and ignited their torches already. The Habs? Not even in the top 10? Subscription cancelled, bro.

It was a surprise even to our voting panel when the Montreal Canadiens logo finished a modest 13th. The question to ask, however, isn’t “How could you?” It’s “What’s truly great about the logo?”

We know it calls to mind nostalgic images like Rocket Richard bearing down on goaltenders furiously or Guy Lafleur’s perfect hockey hair flapping in the breeze. Bleu, blanc et rouge is a pleasing color scheme. But strip away for a moment all the championships, all the history, and what do you have?

Well, there’s a ‘C,’ and there’s an ‘H.’ And they’re fused together.

It’s a perfectly old-school, understated, classy crest, and that’s why we liked it enough to rank it in the top half of the league. But, ironically, the rich history that had many of us doodling this logo when we were kids is also what drags it down. An eight-year-old can indeed replicate it rather easily with a few pencil crayons.

HISTORY OF THE CANADIENS LOGO
Believe it or not, Montreal’s first logo was even simpler. There was no ‘H’ to speak of yet, just a ‘C’ to symbolize Club Athletique Canadien. It’s pretty plain by today’s standards, but every logo in 1909 was.

In 1910-11, the logo became more artistic, complete with an old English ‘C.’ It’s shown as blue here, but when used for throwback jerseys in 2008-09, the logo appeared as green, and it’s generally acknowledged as such.

It’s interesting how similar the Habs logo was to its unborn rival Toronto team in the early days. This red, white and blue version from 1911-12 upped the letter count to three, representing the words Club, Athletique and Canadien. If this one looks familiar to you, that’s because it returned on Montreal’s infamous “barber pole” throwback uniforms a few years back. The sweaters were interesting in theory, but made our eyes bleed when we tried to watch them on TV.

The 1912-13 logo is the first bearing much resemblance to today’s. The ‘C’ looks awfully familiar. The ‘A’ combines with it to represent CAC. So the ‘C’ is used twice, I guess. If you find this emblem overly simplistic, ask yourself why you like the modern one so much.

Next up is the first version of the “true” Habs logo, which arrived in 1917-18. About those Habs: time to bust a myth. The ‘H’ in the logo does not stand for Habs or Habitants, and it never has. It stands for hockey. The crest was changed to represent the new team name: Le club do Hockey Canadien. It’s a lot like today’s. The design is simply cruder.

As far as primary logos go, the one used from 1919-20 to 1920-21 was the most experimental. That’s not saying much. The red was darker and the ‘H’ was filled in. This design has a lot more symmetry to it than the logos directly preceding and following it.

The color scheme switched to predominantly white here. Neat idea, but the design sure is rough around the edges. I’d blame technology at the time, but how do you explain the previous logo, then?

Montreal also experimented with an awesome alternate world domination logo to celebrate its championship the season prior. Delightfully cocky. Then came the transition to the modern Habs logo. This one, which arrived for 1925-26, is hardly discernible from today’s. The changes are minor from here on out. Legends like Aurel Joliat and Howie Morenz wore this version.

The blue trim was thickened all around the logo in 1935-36, creating a tighter, sharper look. This crest lasted more than a decade. Maurice Richard scored 50 goals in 50 games wearing this logo.

The logo changed again from 1947-48 to 1955-56, just before the dynasty heyday, which brought Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante, Doug Harvey and Bernie Geoffrion godlike status. It’s almost impossible to tell the difference between this crest and the last. After a lot of staring I see this version is slightly squished, with a shorter ridge at the tip of the ‘C.’

Last came the logo every Hab has worn since 1956-57, from the late 1950s dynasty to Lafleur and the late 1970s dynasty, to Patrick Roy, to P.K. Subban. The key change is a closed ‘C,’ with its top and bottom edges curling into each other in a symmetrical shape.

There’s no denying the sense of history that washes over you when you stare at this one, but it doesn’t have the creativity or master craftmanship of the top logos on our list.

Dissenting opinion: “It’s an iconic logo that has aged very, very well. It should be No. 1, in my opinion.” – Ken Campbell

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should compile the list of all dissenting opinions after this is complete and then we should have a real ranking.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like the Leafs logo, the Habs logo just screams hockey to me. I'm not a fan of either team, but c'mon, both logos are iconic. However, I'm just a forum pigeon.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should compile the list of all dissenting opinions after this is complete and then we should have a real ranking.

How about a list of primary logo's vs. actual jerseys....

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 12: Florida Panthers

FLAMAIN-640x427.jpg

The Florida Panthers have drastically revamped their team for the coming season. However, in THN’s 2014 NHL logo ranking contest, their logo – which hasn’t changed much at all in their 21-year existence – fared well among our in-house panel of judges. They ranked the Panthers’ current logo 12th-best.

HISTORY OF THE PANTHERS LOGO
The Panthers joined the NHL in 1993 and had their name selected in a fan voting contest. The choice in animal was connected to the Florida panther, an endangered species cougar known to inhabit swamps in South Florida. And their first choice in logo has proven to be such a hit, it’s essentially stayed the same ever since.

The Panthers kept their original logo until 1999, when they moved to the logo they still use today. If you can spot any differences other than the darker shades of blue and red, you’re more perceptive than us:

The Panthers experimented with alternate logos in 1993 and 2009.

As well as a secondary logo – the only one in team history that doesn’t feature some version of a panther on it.

But the Panthers’ main logo has remained intact from the original.

Dissenting opinion: “Maybe it’s the years of losing and mismanagement that have hurt the Panthers’ logo in my eyes, but when I look at it, all I see is a panther. There’s nothing else that says Florida here, and if you didn’t know the history of the animal and its relation to the region, you’d never see why it makes sense. Ranking this logo ahead of the Canadiens’ logo is a decision that made me scratch my head at the time, and I’m still scratching it now.” – Adam Proteau

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? The Panthers rated higher then the Canadiens?? :lame:

And the Leafs.

I have thought the Panthers logo/uniform has been an eyesore since day 1 and Beezer's helmet is the only cool thing to come from all of it. Only thing worse was the early Coyotes and whatever the fuck that thing was on Atlanta's jerseys.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But. but, but...it's looks so 3D. That has to count for something. :rolleyes:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? The Panthers rated higher then the Canadiens?? :lame:

its a fairly decent logo but its no way better than the habs or leafs. why habs and leafs are not 1 and 2 is beyond me

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Pens may be in the top 10 makes this list very suspect to me. I love my team, but...come on. It's an angry skating penguin.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Pens may be in the top 10 makes this list very suspect to me. I love my team, but...come on. It's an angry skating penguin.
The fact that penguins live on ice and are good at diving has to count for something, right?

And there's the penguin belly slide:

Last edited by a moderator: