• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hockey News Is Ranking The NHL Logos From 30 to 1

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess we need to send the Pennsylvania logo champ t-shirts to Pittsburgh?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess we need to send the Pennsylvania logo champ t-shirts to Pittsburgh?

They just arrived today. I just need the mailing addresses.

worst-state-ever-men-s-t-shirt-351.png

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Wild's logo well enough: IMO their road jersey is their best - an one of the better ones all around.

The home jersey is 'meh' (not too big on the red jersey/green pants contrast), and their third jersey is by far the most boring NHL jersey.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference is for simple, iconic logos. If a five year old fan can't sketch a recognizable replica on his or her notebook, then it's a shitty logo. And as cool as some of the Minny logo elements are, it doesn't pass that test and has a horrible color scheme to boot.

With that in mind, the pens logo is pretty good, but obviously the Habs and Leafs should have been much higher. (Although I agree the text on the maple leaf is hideous.) Of the newer logos, I think the jets are underrated. Its simple, iconic and representative.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Philly might be top 5, the fact it's 10 and below the Pens is a crime. This is starting to seem like one of those let's make an intentionally outlandish, bullshit list to get people talking type lists.
The fact that the Ducks logo made top ten (9) just plain makes me wonder who the hell thinks that logo is 'cool ' looking I would have had it bottom 10 not top ten :gaah::gaah:

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. 9: Anaheim Ducks

ducks3-640x427.jpg

Before we begin discussing our No. 9-ranked logo in the NHL, it’s worth pointing out again that this list was compiled by a group of seven THN staffers who debated each one. OK? Let’s go.

Somehow, the Anaheim Ducks ended up in the top 10. Actually – somehow they didn’t end up in the bottom five. The idea behind doing these rankings was to look at each one again for the first time, not taking into consideration how long it’s been in use. This list is supposed to be all about the aesthetics.

But each time I look at this one again for the first time, I still just see a duck-footed D with boring colors. Sure, there’s a little orange in there – and I like it when orange is used – but it’s buried beneath the muck. No bonus points for this one.

In our group, though, this logo got enough support to land it in the top 10. When you rank logos there is no right or wrong answer – it’s all about personal tastes and preferences. And this process showed that even this Ducks logo has its supporters. Where do you stand?

HISTORY OF THE DUCKS LOGO
In 1993, the Ducks were mighty. Literally. Originally called the Anaheim Mighty Ducks (or Mighty Ducks of Anaheim), the Disney-owned team leveraged the popularity of their hit hockey movie and used the logo for the NHL team. The Mighty Ducks movie introduced “The Flying V” and the Knucklepuck, but this team took the cartoony name and logo to the big leagues.

Overall, I’m not a fan of cartoon logos. I like a crisp bare-bones look that has sharp colors, preferably a combination not used by many other teams. Though the first Ducks logo was certainly cartoonish, the colors really stand out from the pack. And, hey, it gave us this most incredible (awful?) jersey that will always be a part of NHL history. You know what? This is the best logo the Ducks have ever used. And if they’re not going to use this logo anymore, at least stick with the green!
Anaheim Mighty Ducks

With the team under new ownership, it went through a re-branding phase shortly after the lost season of 2004-05. Henry and Susan Samueli elected to drop the “Mighty” from the marquee and move forward with plain, old-fashioned “Ducks” which sounds less gimmicky, while maintaining a connection to the team’s roots.

The color scheme was also changed, dumbing down the green to a bronze, while adding a tinge of orange. The second primary logo in franchise history didn’t have much to it. The team name was simply spelled out and the “D” in Ducks was given a webbed look. Big whoop. I despise when a team has to spell out it’s full name in the logo and making this one worse are the darkened colors. Worst. Ducks logo. Ever.
Anaheim Ducks

The current Ducks logo simplified the one that came before it. Rather than spelling out the whole team name, the webbed ‘D’ from the previous logo was enlarged and made a logo unto itself. The subtle orange has the capacity to create a fantastic looking jersey when the team wants to, but in the logo, it’s an afterthought. Where’s the fun here?

Dissenting opinion: “I really have no idea how this ended up at No. 9, but here we are. I move that any THN staffer who had a hand in placing this one in the top 10 should never have a vote in logo rankings again!” – Rory Boylen

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of the Flyers because...well, I'm not sure what it is? Still, simplicity is my favorite (exception being the Blackhawks). Every day that passes with the Pens not being mentioned is confusing to me.

Swamp Dragon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of the Flyers because...well, I'm not sure what it is? Still, simplicity is my favorite (exception being the Blackhawks). Every day that passes with the Pens not being mentioned is confusing to me.

Well, it's better than that Ducks logo, that's for sure...

Phantomphan

Beta Tester
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ok if you are an average fan of the Flyers. We'll take it. :nod: