• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hobbit 1: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf.......Thorin looks more like a man than a dwarf

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the best memories I have is of my dad reading the Hobbit to me and my sister every night.......I guess I was probably 6 or 7. I'll always remember that

I also want to break out my old copy of the Rankin-Bass version

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a blu ray player a few months back and my mother-in-law is getting me the LoTR trilogy on blu ray. Looks like I'll have to put my request in for The Hobbit in a couple years. Just looks so bad ass! I can't really add anything to the discussion since it's been decades since I read the Hobbit and I don't know the ins and outs of LoTR, but the movies are just epic.

Speaking of blu rays, any that are must haves? My wife and I have the following so far:

- Harry Potter 1-6 (Deathly Hallows is a gift from my mother this Christmas)
- Star Wars: Complete Saga (first time my wife ever saw Star Wars and she LOVED it)
- Jurassic Park Trilogy

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a blu ray player a few months back and my mother-in-law is getting me the LoTR trilogy on blu ray. Looks like I'll have to put my request in for The Hobbit in a couple years. Just looks so bad ass!

Speaking of blu rays, any that are must haves? My wife and I have the following so far:

- Star Wars: Complete Saga (first time my wife ever saw Star Wars and she LOVED it)
- Jurassic Park Trilogy

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked up Ronin on BluRay. Chase scenes look great.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got a blu ray player a few months back and my mother-in-law is getting me the LoTR trilogy on blu ray. Looks like I'll have to put my request in for The Hobbit in a couple years. Just looks so bad ass! I can't really add anything to the discussion since it's been decades since I read the Hobbit and I don't know the ins and outs of LoTR, but the movies are just epic.

- Jurassic Park Trilogy

where to start....

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I've heard it's really good on BR. I've watched it so many times on HBO over the last few months. Wife wasn't a big fan of it though.

I picked up Ronin on BluRay. Chase scenes look great.

Haven't seen it in years, so I may have to check it out.

Was thinking about picking up Gladiator and eventually the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (hearing rumors of additional ones eventually coming out though, so may wait on it). I know there are tons of good ones out there, but trying to slowly build a collection.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I've heard it's really good on BR. I've watched it so many times on HBO over the last few months. Wife wasn't a big fan of it though.

Haven't seen it in years, so I may have to check it out.

Was thinking about picking up Gladiator and eventually the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (hearing rumors of additional ones eventually coming out though, so may wait on it). I know there are tons of good ones out there, but trying to slowly build a collection.

make sure you buy that at B&M (as opposed to online) and make sure it has the yellow barcode (reissue that fixed numerous encoding glitches).

if you really want to build a collection, now is a great time also for old classics and foreign titles from Criterion as they are on sale at BN at up to ~63% off if you are a member and know how to stack coupons

The pirates movies are near reference level discs throughout but feature massively annoying bloated menus that can bogdown cheap or low-power BD players and leadins.

Also, if you really want to build a collection you should buy an older refurb Ingsignia player that has the *wink* firmware *glitch* wink* that allows for all-region playing. They can be had for ~50$ and of course there are countless titles that are out there in other regions that are either of better quality than the domestic release (early US titles with MPG2 and only PCM lossless audio) or that haven't yet been released domestically at all....

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I see that post was for nothing.
meh

What do you mean?

I have heard about the original Gladiator blu ray releases and will be buying the fixed ones once I do buy it. Thanks for the heads up in looking for a yellow barcode. That should save some time instead of asking the people working there if it is the fixed release or not.

As far as buying another blu ray player, I'm not that much into them to go all out buying dics that I can't pick up at my local stores. I was just wanting some basic titles that are definitely worth the upgrade over the DVDs. I'm not too worried about loading time/etc though.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean?

I have heard about the original Gladiator blu ray releases and will be buying the fixed ones once I do buy it. Thanks for the heads up in looking for a yellow barcode. That should save some time instead of asking the people working there if it is the fixed release or not.

As far as buying another blu ray player, I'm not that much into them to go all out buying dics that I can't pick up at my local stores. I was just wanting some basic titles that are definitely worth the upgrade over the DVDs. I'm not too worried about loading time/etc though.

Well again , I mean this is very vague. Other than a couple of mis-encoded films ALL of them are significant upgrades, not just in video but audio.

But with that said, I'll try to narrow down a top 100 must own upgrade starting points

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well again , I mean this is very vague. Other than a couple of mis-encoded films ALL of them are significant upgrades, not just in video but audio.

But with that said, I'll try to narrow down a top 100 must own upgrade starting points

Nevermind.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on5RPl.jpg