• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Hobbit 1: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get to see the Second White Council en sech!!

The Second White Council's membership included the Wizards Saruman the White, and Gandalf the Grey, and the chiefs and rulers of the Eldar including Lady Galadriel of Lothlórien, Master Elrond of Rivendell and Círdan the Shipwright of the Grey Havens. Arahad I, the seventh Chieftain of the Dúnedain, was also a member during his lifetime. Saruman was the head of the White Council, against the wishes of Galadriel, who later described this as the beginning of the long defeat. Other possible members are said to be among the mightiest of Elves, the Elf-lord Glorfindel; Elrond's chief counsellor Erestor; and Celeborn, Galadriel's husband, whom Galadriel herself called "Wise". The two Blue Wizards were not part of the Council. Tolkien does not give a list of all the members of the council, 'other lords of the Eldar' is as close as The Silmarillion gives to a list. Unbeknownst to the other members of the Council, Círdan (later Gandalf), Galadriel, and Elrond were also the bearers of the Three Rings of the Elves.

The Second White Council first met in T.A. 2463 to counter the growing threat from Dol Guldur. Gandalf travelled through Southern Mirkwood in T.A. 2850, and had learned of the identity of the Necromancer, who ruled over Dol Guldur. In T.A. 2851 the White Council met to decide whether to act on Gandalf's discovery, but Saruman dissuaded the others.

When he realized that the One Ring was possibly still in the area of the Gladden Fields and that Sauron was actively seeking it, Saruman relented and in T.A. 2941 Sauron was driven out of Dol Guldur, only to re-appear in Mordor, long prepared for him. This White Council meeting, of late summer T.A. 2941, was also the reason that Gandalf was unable to accompany Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves on a portion of their trip to the Lonely Mountain, in The Hobbit.

The Council last met in T.A. 2953 to discuss Sauron's attempts to find the One Ring. At this meeting Saruman insisted that the One Ring had fallen into the Anduin, and had been swept out to sea. During this meeting there was much tension between Saruman and Gandalf, for Gandalf already suspected Saruman of desiring to possess the One Ring.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOWESmaugOverEsgaroth.JPG

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, if you don't care about some opinions from the only real BD collector/movie buff here... then yeh, go EABOD

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, if you don't care about some opinions from the only real BD collector/movie buff here... then yeh, go EABOD

Just go make a new thread and post it. I'd like to the see the list.

:focus:

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For one, the bolded is uncalled for and I'll leave it at that.

Second, I do care about what would be some good titles to get and would appreciate your opinions. It just seemed like it would be a chore for you and I didn't want to take up that much of your time. I'm certainly not ever going to be as knowledgeable about blu rays as you seem to be since it isn't that big of a deal to me.

I guess stating that I wanted to build a collection wasn't the right way to describe it. I may buy a BD once a month and am either looking to upgrade one of the titles I already have on DVD that is a LOT better on BD or pick up a newer movie that would be worth the price of the BD. I know that BD is going to be better than a DVD in general, but I'm looking for that 'wow' factor of a difference.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leader.....say you're sorry.....

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is The Silmarillion worth reading?

I've read the other books....

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Second, I do care about what would be some good titles to get and would appreciate your opinions. It just seemed like it would be a chore for you and I didn't want to take up that much of your time. I'm certainly not ever going to be as knowledgeable about blu rays as you seem to be since it isn't that big of a deal to me.

I guess stating that I wanted to build a collection wasn't the right way to describe it. I may buy a BD once a month and am either looking to upgrade one of the titles I already have on DVD that is a LOT better on BD or pick up a newer movie that would be worth the price of the BD. I know that BD is going to be better than a DVD in general, but I'm looking for that 'wow' factor of a difference.

It's Leader. He's an idiot.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...is The Silmarillion worth reading?

I've read the other books....

It is worth reading if want to learn about the history of Middle Earth, but it's not a story in the sense that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are.

Also, Leader, GTFO of The Hobbit thread or I'll start posting LOTR shit in your movie threads :evil:

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, as I apparently interpreted a dismissive intent in your use of 'whatever' I'll apologize. :doh: I wouldn't have minded thinking up a top100, it would have just taken a while as I said practically all of them are significant boost-ups; but yes some much more than others. Practically everyday, all I do from 10pm-3am or so is watch movies. I will say if your buying criteria from above (only new release* movies, and movies you have on DVD already) is what you're limiting yourself to, then you're missing out on a lot IMHO but so be it.

That said

Taxi Driver
Alien/Aliens
Pulp Fiction
the Matrix
Blade Runner
Ben Hur
Godfather 1/2
Fight Club
Braveheart
ShawkShank Redemption

are among the obvious titles that a generally speaking a LOT of people have in their DVD collections (so I guess you might have some of) that are among the most improved by being in the new medium with good transfer, and if you own them on DVD are well worth rebuying. You'll be seeing and hearing them in far better quality than they were seen in your local theater at time of release if your HT is decent. That said, only one or two of those is close to what I'd call a reference/demo disc, oddly enough.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as I apparently interpreted a dismissive intent in your use of 'whatever' I'll apologize. :doh: I wouldn't have minded thinking up a top100, it would have just taken a while as I said practically all of them are significant boost-ups; but yes some much more than others. Practically everyday, all I do from 10pm-3am or so is watch movies. I will say if your buying criteria from above (only new release* movies, and movies you have on DVD already) is what you're limiting yourself to, then you're missing out on a lot IMHO but so be it.

That said

Taxi Driver
Alien/Aliens
Pulp Fiction
the Matrix
Blade Runner
Ben Hur
Godfather 1/2
Fight Club
Braveheart
ShawkShank Redemption

are among the obvious titles that a generally speaking a LOT of people have in their DVD collections (so I guess you might have some of) that are among the most improved by being in the new medium with good transfer, and if you own them on DVD are well worth rebuying. You'll be seeing and hearing them in far better quality than they were seen in your local theater at time of release if your HT is decent. That said, only one or two of those is close to what I'd call a reference/demo disc, oddly enough.

It is hard to tell intent/tone over the internet, so I should have taken the time (was running out the door) to qualify the reasoning behind my previous post. It has never been my intention to be a 'smart ass', especially when asking for advice.

I will certainly take into consideration your advice the next time a BD buying opportunity arises.

As far as limiting myself, I'll freely admit I'm ignorant on this topic and do not quite understand what you mean by the non-US releases/etc and different regions. I would have no clue where to get them. I either pick up movies at Best Buy or Walmart when I walk by them and on a whim.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

Mo_Cutter

'Member 34-13, Taters?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've finally stopped ejaculating all over myself by the 19th viewing of the new trailer.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hard to tell intent/tone over the internet, so I should have taken the time (was running out the door) to qualify the reasoning behind my previous post. It has never been my intention to be a 'smart ass', especially when asking for advice.

I will certainly take into consideration your advice the next time a BD buying opportunity arises.

As far as limiting myself, I'll freely admit I'm ignorant on this topic and do not quite understand what you mean by the non-US releases/etc and different regions. I would have no clue where to get them. I either pick up movies at Best Buy or Walmart when I walk by them and on a whim.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

It will take me a while to explain what I mean bout limiting yourself with as quality of a reply as I would like to give. I'll work on it tonight during my watching session .

In the meanwhile, I'll point you to this site if you're unaware of it, they do very detailed side-side comparisons of blu-rays to their dvd release counterparts.

http://blubeaver.ca/