• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Gordon Hayward Thread

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haywood, similar to DuhRon (from Mcgrady days)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would have mattered. A team trading for a rental that will be a FA at the year's end isn't going to give up much.

Plus, the Celtics have to shed salary to make the deal work. So they'll start trading away pieces, maybe some in a sign-and-trade for Hayward.

And if Boston doesn't, then Dennis Lindsey can still make some good moves for good contracts, and see what Hood can do in a larger role.

Losing Hayward will hurt some, but it's not as bad as losing a true superstar.

I also think often, when teams are forced to do a sign-and-trade for a departing FA, then they rarely get anything good back anyways, and often it's bad or long contracts. There's not much that can be gained from a departing FA.

The L.A. Lakers traded Shaq for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian Grant. Brian Grant was waived before the season started, and Butler was traded to Washington within a year.

Not even a MVP player in Shaq could get more than essentially an inconsistent sub-All Star player in Shaq.

If someone leaves, then Lindsey will have to make moves to get the talent level back. Hopefully it doesn't take him too long. Getting someone back immediately who may be on a bad contract isn't as much of a concern, as how to get the team moving forward 1-2 years from now.

There are players that the Jazz could recruited stronger if they knew Hayward was not coming back. We couldn't get those players to wait and they couldn't get those players and still sign Hayward. They got Rubio, reportedly, because Hayward wanted him. But would they have re-signed Hill instead? (I would rather have Rubio to be honest.) then, when the word was leaked that he chose Boston, instead of confirming, his agent said he hadn't made up his mind yet. Teams that weren't going to get Hayward anyway went after the players the Jazz were interested in but we're waiting for Hayward's decision.

Don't give me wrong, they just did their homework and had back up plans, but it was strung out with no communication and conflicting reports that the players who needed to sign just did. We didn't have the flexibility to just sign them and wait. Or to tell them to wait.

Hayward "didn't have time" to call the Jazz but he had time to get a fancy haircut and to tour Boston (obviously after that decision). I seriously can't except people saying that agents do the calling, but saying he didn't have time? It's a freaking phone call. He's not a businessman, doctor, or a busy lawyer. He had his workouts, but he wasn't doing that.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the difference between the Salt Lake Tribune, and the Players' Tribune?

Why are both named "Tribune"

What's the difference between the University Utah and University of Texas? They both have the word "University" in it. Just kidding. Tribune is general. Salt Lake Tribune is done by Salt Lake writers and the Players' Tribune is produced by the NBA union. Different entities.

Or were you joking and I just couldn't tell?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are players that the Jazz could recruited stronger if they knew Hayward was not coming back. We couldn't get those players to wait and they couldn't get those players and still sign Hayward. They got Rubio, reportedly, because Hayward wanted him. But would they have re-signed Hill instead? (I would rather have Rubio to be honest.) then, when the word was leaked that he chose Boston, instead of confirming, his agent said he hadn't made up his mind yet. Teams that weren't going to get Hayward anyway went after the players the Jazz were interested in but we're waiting for Hayward's decision.

Don't give me wrong, they just did their homework and had back up plans, but it was strung out with no communication and conflicting reports that the players who needed to sign just did. We didn't have the flexibility to just sign them and wait. Or to tell them to wait.

Hayward "didn't have time" to call the Jazz but he had time to get a fancy haircut and to tour Boston (obviously after that decision). I seriously can't except people saying that agents do the calling, but saying he didn't have time? It's a freaking phone call. He's not a businessman, doctor, or a busy lawyer. He had his workouts, but he wasn't doing that.

When did Hayward say he didn't have time?

I think he just wanted to get that Players Tribune article out before making it official.

Regardless of who wrote it, I thought it was a nice article because it had some seemingly personal moments, based whom he thanked. There were some people he thanked that I didn't know about before.

Given that the Jazz are over the cap for 2017-2018, I don't think they could have gotten anyone else.

They couldn't have acquired anyone else that other teams were trying to salary dump, nor sign a FA, because they were over the cap.

They traded for Rubio before July 1st, because they still had cap space on June 30th for the 2016-2017 season. When it turned July 1st, they didn't have cap space anymore.

Once they traded for Rubio, Hill wasn't going to come back.

The only players they can sign are those for minimum contracts. Or players who will take the Bi-Annual exception. Or the Mid-Level Exception. Those players will still be available, as the bigger contracts usually get handled first in free agency.

Last edited:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the difference between the University Utah and University of Texas? They both have the word "University" in it. Just kidding. Tribune is general. Salt Lake Tribune is done by Salt Lake writers and the Players' Tribune is produced by the NBA union. Different entities.

Or were you joking and I just couldn't tell?

I didn't know the Players' Tribune was done by the NBA union.

Thanks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know the Players' Tribune was done by the NBA union.

Thanks.

I learn so man things on here, but they're also the kind of things that I can't believe it took me this long to know.

Like how I didn't know there were two Hansbroughs' for the longest time.

Well, here's an article from last year from the Players' Tribune about Ray Allen.

I could have learned about the Players' Tribune then!

Ray Allen formally announces retirement, ultimately ending in Heat uniform

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I clicked on your link, I was wondering who the "new" star was. I shouted at the article, "Gobert isn't new!".

Then when I clicked on the link, I realized it was about Mitchell.

After his rookie campaign last year, it's hard to call him new too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I clicked on your link, I was wondering who the "new" star was. I shouted at the article, "Gobert isn't new!".

Then when I clicked on the link, I realized it was about Mitchell.

After his rookie campaign last year, it's hard to call him new too.

Tell that to Ben Simmons. I wonder if Patrick Mahomes will win rookie of the year. ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Celtics did not intend on signing Gordon Hayward when he came. They thought he was Luke Kornet.

D98C13AC-F54D-49C4-97E8-EE01DD41C083.jpeg