• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The GOAT Vote

Who is the GOAT?

• Player A

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Player B

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Player C

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Player D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Player E

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Player F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it sad that I know who each guy is? The only one I had to look up was the great Lou Alcindor because I knew the all-star selection number was ridiculous, but I didn't know he won 6 MVPs. More than I thought he won. The GOAT is Jordan and his ridiculous ppg and 6 finals mvps. You left off the Hick from French Lick. Your Laker bias is showing :)

Side note. On Kareem. The older I get and the more I learn about players before my era (mid 80s till now)... The more I respect Kareem. His numbers. His longevity. A finals MVP at age 72. Dude was the 60s and 70s Tim Duncan.
Kareem was the most dominant player of his era.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem was the most dominant player of his era.

Yes, and Jordan was the most dominant of his, and LeBron of his, and now it looks like Steph will be of the current era. But who is GOAT? Frankly I don't think you can really pick one, but the arguing about it is fun in and of itself. You can say there are 5-6 interchangeably great players, each can claim it legitimately.

I only started following the game in the 80s. IMO there have been a handful of players who when you watched them you just knew you were seeing something historically special: Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Curry, Shaq. Players that had never been seen before, that just dominated in ways that hadn't been seen. I imagine Kareem and Wilt were like that too but their primes were well before I watched.

Not taking anything away from greats like Duncan, Kobe, etc. But Duncan is about never faltering and just being really good forever (like Cal Ripken say), and Kobe was just a slightly less Jordanesque Jordan. But I didn't get the same feeling watching them as those 5.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine Kareem and Wilt were like that too but their primes were well before I watched.

I started following the NBA in 1970. By that time, Wilt was a dominant defensive player, but he was no longer the dominant offensive player that he was in his prime.

Kareem was just in his 2nd year, so I got to see him all through his prime and he was amazing. He was the most dominant player that I have seen and his skyhook was all but unblockable. It seemed almost automatic when he shot it. I remember just about losing my mind when he came to the Lakers in 1975.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOATS depend on the era they played in. DrJ played when they did not call hand checking and did call travelling. Michael played when they allowed less contact and changed the travelling definition.
Current players get fouls called if the defender even gets close.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the choice, I would have to sign on with the player that has six champions instead of the guy with two. My reason is simple: It's easy to read the stats and say player A was the best, but there are some things that affect the outcome of the game that cannot be seen in the stats and that's where a player's stats might drop. A smart player for example is going to back off and let his team mate with the hot hand go out there execute.