• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The future is now, old man: CWS @ TEX 8/4-7

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seeing Kershaw once a week when healthy wouldn't put butts in the seats the rest of the week. Semien and Seager put fans in the seats every home game along with Adolis, Perez and the kids like Taveras, Smith, Duran, etc. it definitely isn't the pitching or bullpen

I agree with you that signing Kershaw to sell tickets doesn't make a lot of sense since he only pitches every 5th day (and also on the road).

That being said, the Rangers averaged 26k/game last year, and are currently averaging 25k/game this year. 2021 obviously had a post-covid + first season in new stadium (fans) bump.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that signing Kershaw to sell tickets doesn't make a lot of sense since he only pitches every 5th day (and also on the road).

That being said, the Rangers averaged 26k/game last year, and are currently averaging 25k/game this year. 2021 obviously had a post-covid + first season in new stadium (fans) bump.
true but we still have 28 home games to beat that

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but we literally did nothing about the pitching except Perez who surprised the shit out of everyone with his performance. now Rangers look at the upcoming games and see Howard, etc and they make other plans. when they see Perez listed as the starter there are a lot more butts in the seats than with Howard etc

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but we literally did nothing about the pitching except Perez who surprised the shit out of everyone with his performance. now Rangers look at the upcoming games and see Howard, etc and they make other plans. when they see Perez listed as the starter there are a lot more butts in the seats than with Howard etc
When Mo Howard pitches seats are 25 cents behind the plate.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Kershaw
I think an increase in season ticket sales was the primary motivator and then the increase of his individual start which I bet would be manipulated to be mostly at home

So yeah those in attendance is secondary to ST

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We also signed Jon Gray.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other financial benefits from acquiring a pitcher of Kershaw's status besides the extra fans that show up on days he is pitching. There are added merchandise sales. There is also the overall good feeling it gives some fans about the team which might lead to more fans showing up at other times.

There is also the benefit he has by being a mentor to our young pitchers.

Of course, no one is going to change their mind about him in particular, but I thought I would throw it out anyway. At least, no one will change their mind again. Looking back at the comments in the offseason about Kershaw, some folks have changed their minds once before about him. In fact, some changed during the offseason and have changed it again. Lol

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying but I would rather them do what they did in the Bush for Kelly trade and in trying to build up the minor leagues. I am not sure I want a band aid for a year to increase revenue in the stands but also increase revenue on the payroll.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying but I would rather them do what they did in the Bush for Kelly trade and in trying to build up the minor leagues. I am not sure I want a band aid for a year to increase revenue in the stands but also increase revenue on the payroll.
There you go

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

with as expensive as it is to go to a game, I'm a little surprised they're pulling down 25k a game

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, no one is going to change their mind about him in particular, but I thought I would throw it out anyway. At least, no one will change their mind again. Looking back at the comments in the offseason about Kershaw, some folks have changed their minds once before about him. In fact, some changed during the offseason and have changed it again. Lol
I think the term you're looking for is "Wishy Washy"...

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With fuel $87 per gallon and commodities, higher than giraffe coochie on a Ferris wheel, I’d say lots of folks have less disposable income. I would say over all entertainment isn’t as much of a priority

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other financial benefits from acquiring a pitcher of Kershaw's status besides the extra fans that show up on days he is pitching. There are added merchandise sales. There is also the overall good feeling it gives some fans about the team which might lead to more fans showing up at other times.

There is also the benefit he has by being a mentor to our young pitchers.

If they want to do a one year flyer I am good. It is not my money. But I do think as far as helping the team win, Marteen has done a very good job for less contract but yes there is definite spillover profit with Kershaw

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A little bit of nostalgia.

Did not see anyone go for the head!

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the term you're looking for is "Wishy Washy"...
Lol. Wishy washy for some I guess.
Some simply change their mind based on something new they learned like @Ephland mentioned. Some just jump on whichever band wagon is moving through. Others are simply contrarian and pick the opposite side of someone else.