• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The future is bright!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kaepernick's issues are all correctable with experience.

Not to mention it will be a huge help that he'll get all the 1st team reps in the offseason and the coaches are going to work on further tailoring the offense around him.

So I expect him to play faster and get more comfortable with other guys and spread the ball around. We saw him lean on Crabtree early on but we did see him start to really connect to Davis at the end and I think that connection will get stronger.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kaep is going to be a great QB, but let's not pretend he's perfect. There are things he could work on.

He's already good at limiting huge mistakes, but there were some. The biggest one being the pick six in the Green Bay game, he should never have thrown that ball.

He needs to work on throwing with touch more. He's already improved in this area this season, but there is room to get better. Earlier in the season he missed some big plays because he threw bullets when he sould have gotten some air under it.

As has already been mentioned, but focusing on getting the snap off sooner to avoid delay of games and timeouts. He doesn't get all the blame becasue Alex struggled with this too if I remember correctly so it is also a coaching/scheme issue.

All this being said, I gladly live with his play because of how dynamic he is especially over a guy like Alex Smith.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kaep is going to be a great QB, but let's not pretend he's perfect. There are things he could work on.

He's already good at limiting huge mistakes, but there were some. The biggest one being the pick six in the Green Bay game, he should never have thrown that ball.

He needs to work on throwing with touch more. He's already improved in this area this season, but there is room to get better. Earlier in the season he missed some big plays because he threw bullets when he sould have gotten some air under it.

As has already been mentioned, but focusing on getting the snap off sooner to avoid delay of games and timeouts. He doesn't get all the blame becasue Alex struggled with this too if I remember correctly so it is also a coaching/scheme issue.

All this being said, I gladly live with his play because of how dynamic he is especially over a guy like Alex Smith.

Yeah, they were talking about this on KNBR, and they were saying that the delay of games really had to do with the process the Niners follow for calling plays. They said that Roman makes the call and sends it to Harbaugh. Then Harbaugh sends it to Kaep. Then, there's discussion about the play. They didn't go into this on KNBR, but I guess what happens after Harbaugh and Kaep discuss the play is that he tells the rest of the team and then gets to the line to read the defense. This sounds kinda time consuming and I can see why they sometimes have delay of game problems.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaepernick's issues are all correctable with experience.

Not to mention it will be a huge help that he'll get all the 1st team reps in the offseason and the coaches are going to work on further tailoring the offense around him.

So I expect him to play faster and get more comfortable with other guys and spread the ball around. We saw him lean on Crabtree early on but we did see him start to really connect to Davis at the end and I think that connection will get stronger.

Yup. I wonder if he will work with Jenkins in the off season?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Harbaugh will help him with that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they were talking about this on KNBR, and they were saying that the delay of games really had to do with the process the Niners follow for calling plays. They said that Roman makes the call and sends it to Harbaugh. Then Harbaugh sends it to Kaep. Then, there's discussion about the play. They didn't go into this on KNBR, but I guess what happens after Harbaugh and Kaep discuss the play is that he tells the rest of the team and then gets to the line to read the defense. This sounds kinda time consuming and I can see why they sometimes have delay of game problems.

Can't be. Kaepernick has only a receiver in his helmet, not a mike.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There we go - This makes sense. Most, if not all of Kaps deficiencies are mental errors caused by lack of experience.

As far as his ability as a QB is concerned without those errors he is as good as gets with regard to intelligence, poise, leadership, mental strength, physical ability and athleticism. I can't think of one of those categories in which he needs to improve much if at all.

As good as it gets? More intelligent than Manning or Brees? More poise and leadership than Brady? I think you're overstating your case. He very well may get there. I don't believe he's there yet. No disputing his physical ability and athleticism. His mental game still has plenty of room to grow. I believe strongly that he will put in the time to make that happen, and has the mental gifts to do so. I don't believe he's completely developed, yet.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Getting the snap off quicker is a given, but certainly not something I discredit his QB'ing ability for.

As for his reads where are you seeing inconsistencies because I'm not seeing any issues there at all?

Settling down earlier in big games? What are you seeing that makes you say he is not settled at the beginning of big games?

As for his performance & production vs. the blitz what are you showing that makes you think he needs to read and react better to blitzes?

I'm not discrediting his QBing ability. I'm saying he still has room to grow.

He needs to be more aware of the play clock and get the team to the line faster if he needs more time to read the D than he has been giving himself. Simply chalking that up as a mental mistake and thus doesn't count for some reason really only proves my point that he hasn't entirely arrived as an elite player.

He misses open receivers. At the end of the game, he locked onto Crabtree and missed Walker at least once. Earlier, he had Crabtree for a first down but didn't trust the read. He double-clutched his ball to Moss - this was more a matter of trusting what he saw than seeing it period - and almost had one picked deep in our own territory.

As for settling down, he was clearly jumpy early in both the NFC championship and in the super bowl. Not to mention against the Packers when he threw a bad pick-six. His accuracy was off at the start of the last two games, especially the SB where he overthrew his receivers on several of his first quarter throws. That's generally a sign of a QB who is anxious.

As far as the blitz, the clearest example is rushing the throw to Crabtree and not giving him more of a chance to go get it.

I think Kap had a remarkable season. He's been the best young QB I can remember. He is not elite yet. He is incredibly advanced for such a young guy. He's not there. So yes, as said, I believe there are things he can improve upon.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yup. I wonder if he will work with Jenkins in the off season?

The article I posted in this thread (I think) said that Jenkins is planning to go to Atlanta to work with Kap. He needs it....

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I posted in this thread (I think) said that Jenkins is planning to go to Atlanta to work with Kap. He needs it....
That may be the one saving grace for the young man because if he is as shitty next year as he was this year, he'll be gone..

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

All Good, its not like he has Marino control of our Offense yet!!:) If we are going to consider ourselves Bullies on Both sides of the Ball we need to get more big bodies up front as well in the secondary!! We need to improve on our short yardage plays as well! Speed really showed up against our Defense in the playoffs!! Looks like our coaches are still set we need to improve there as well! Go 49ers!!:2cents:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think a lot of these things may get better for the coaches with a full off-season with Kaep. I know they've said that they have the same playbook as they did with Smith, but it might be harder to adjust to game situations when they are dealing with a much different QB. They've had 12 weeks or so, so I don't want to overstate it, but it's an adjustment. There's an off-season for a reason.

I won't say that they'll change the entire playbook for Kaep, but when they work on more plays and adjust things, it may be easier to call plays on time. I'm not sure how much of the delays with Smith was adjusted due to limitations by Smith and how much of it is just Roman or the relay process. It may be like trying to do something one handed versus two, it can be done, but it's harder. Playing to Smith's strengths was probably difficult with the goals they wanted. They could always continue to call things the same for Kaep and he'd do fine, but when trying to maximize him without much time to install plays, is difficult. Finding the greedy play takes time, plus the stakes were high.

Obviously, they had the two weeks to build the game plan and the plays are practiced. I'm just imagining having to call plays and adjust to the defense, every second counts and I think when they trust their QB to do anything (which they do in Kaep) and have their playbook fully adjusted to Kaep's strengths, it will become much easier. They trust in any play they have, because Kaep can do it all, but maximizing the options will be better with a full off-season. They will have those check-down outlets there that Kaep didn't use much, but they'll have more other stuff.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no saying don't bother with offense, but at worse case this unit is already good enough. what a turnaround from only last season?

lean to strengthen defense and we'll continue the quest. more D talent means more rotation, and a hedge against injuries.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The fact that there is a lot of room to grow is what makes Kaepernick so scary right now.

In terms of development I would say Luck, RGIII, and Wilson are all further along in development than Kap is despite Kap having a year head start.

My two biggest issues with Kap is the mental aspect of the game in terms of operating the offense and making reads but that's an issue that's correctable with just plain ole experience.

And being able to put some more touch on the ball which is something again I think will correct itself with getting reps with everyone and learning what to put behind the ball for each guy.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that there is a lot of room to grow is what makes Kaepernick so scary right now.

In terms of development I would say Luck, RGIII, and Wilson are all further along in development than Kap is despite Kap having a year head start.

My two biggest issues with Kap is the mental aspect of the game in terms of operating the offense and making reads but that's an issue that's correctable with just plain ole experience.

And being able to put some more touch on the ball which is something again I think will correct itself with getting reps with everyone and learning what to put behind the ball for each guy.

I disagree. I think he is much better than both Wilson and Griffin.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why is Kaep training in ATL?

I thought he was from California.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wondered the same and thought it was perhaps due to the weather or where the receivers live, facility use or perhaps he is working out with some of the Falcons - other than those idea's I got nothing.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Something about having trained there before. Likely leading up to the draft?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not discrediting his QBing ability. I'm saying he still has room to grow.

He needs to be more aware of the play clock and get the team to the line faster if he needs more time to read the D than he has been giving himself. Simply chalking that up as a mental mistake and thus doesn't count for some reason really only proves my point that he hasn't entirely arrived as an elite player.

He misses open receivers. At the end of the game, he locked onto Crabtree and missed Walker at least once. Earlier, he had Crabtree for a first down but didn't trust the read. He double-clutched his ball to Moss - this was more a matter of trusting what he saw than seeing it period - and almost had one picked deep in our own territory.

As for settling down, he was clearly jumpy early in both the NFC championship and in the super bowl. Not to mention against the Packers when he threw a bad pick-six. His accuracy was off at the start of the last two games, especially the SB where he overthrew his receivers on several of his first quarter throws. That's generally a sign of a QB who is anxious.

As far as the blitz, the clearest example is rushing the throw to Crabtree and not giving him more of a chance to go get it.

Dude! Seriously??? Crimson, nearly every sentence of the above quoted post is incredibly meaningless, wildly inaccurate or flat out dishonest or maybe all of the above. Honestly, it's such a hot mess, I have no idea.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about using one of your bigger claims

According to you: "[Kaepernick] could still improve upon reading the blitz and burning the other team."

Here's how Kap did vs. the blitz in the playoffs:

Drop-Backs...30
Sacks...........1
Att.............29
Comp..........20
Comp%.......69%
YPA.............9.7
YPC...........14.1
TD's............2
INT's...........0
1st Dns......15
1st Dn%.....51.7%
Kaepernick QBr vs. the Blitz......................123.1

As for the 4th & goal play - Kap did read the blitz so that wasn't the problem. Protection was the problem and thus we never know the source of failure.

Anyway, like I said nearly your entire post is nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as it gets? More intelligent than Manning or Brees? More poise and leadership than Brady? I think you're overstating your case. He very well may get there. I don't believe he's there yet. No disputing his physical ability and athleticism. His mental game still has plenty of room to grow. I believe strongly that he will put in the time to make that happen, and has the mental gifts to do so. I don't believe he's completely developed, yet.

C'mon brother, why would you begin your discourse with two nonsensical statement/questions debating an argument that doesn't even exist? That is just crazy talk.

One disagreement and you are already resorting to desperation, exaggeration and cherry picking? Wow, Kaepernick is about as good as it gets but you are about as easy as they come Crimson. ;)

Okay enough funnin around. Look, Crimson, Kap has 10 starts, three of which required him to play with the pressure of performing on the biggest stages and under the brightest lights of the NFL.

I can't think of any QB I've ever seen that has shown a higher degree of proficiency in ANY of the attributes I mentioned after having only 10 starts than Colin Kaepernick, can you?

For the record I would, without hesitation, take Colin Kaepernick over Peyton Manning, especially in the playoffs; and, I would absolutely feel on equal footing with Colin in any game or situation vs. Brady, Brees or any QB.

So, I'm sticking with my statement in its entirety and in the context intended. Feel free to disagree if you must I'm fine with that.