• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The First 2018 College Football Playoff

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but their second loss wasn't Iowa . That's a game you can't avoid . The second ( avoidable ) loss was Oklahoma . I get your point I'm just not sure it's right . I know we've debated this before but I still think a 12-1 OSU gets in over Bama last year even with the Iowa loss

IDK how you define "avoidable" we were terrible in that Oklahoma game and lucky we didn't get blown out.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To my point. You can also say 1 loss while playing 12 games is < 1 while playing 13 games.

A team getting into the playoff without playing in their conference title game is essentially rewarded for failing to win their division. They dont have to play that extra game and risk that 2nd loss (YES EVEN OHIO STATE 2 YEARS AGO)

Last year Auburn and UGA were in a way punished for having to play in the SEC title game. One of them had to take a loss, eliminating them from the playoff. While Bama sits at home and gets in anyways. Hows that fair?
Exactly the past two seasons have pointed out glaring flaws in the current system. Teams are rewarded for scheduling weaker teams and failing. People say expanding the play offs is watering down the regular season. While the current format promotes playing more meaningless games in the regular season. While punishing teams for earning the right to play another "ranked team" in their CCG. And devaluing Conference championships. The current system is not by definition the best 4 teams its the opinion of a committee. The current system has ecocide to this

xHKXfFA.png

If we want a true champion and the actual best teams. Uniform schedules,a concrete system to determine play off teams and expansion. Which actually adds meaningful more games......

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK how you define "avoidable" we were terrible in that Oklahoma game and lucky we didn't get blown out.
Avoidable as in they didn't need to schedule it. If you guys play Cincinnati instead of OU you go 12-1. Even if everything else stays the same I think you get in over Bama

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avoidable as in they didn't need to schedule it. If you guys play Cincinnati instead of OU you go 12-1. Even if everything else stays the same I think you get in over Bama

True. I can agree with that. Everyone else might as well start watering down their OOC schedules, there really is very little point (Especially for the Ohio State type teams) to risk a loss OOC, because if they get through with 0 or 1 losses and win the conference more times than not they'll end up in the playoff

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama is already in regardless of what happens on Saturday. Unless they somehow blew chunks against Moo State or All Barn (which they wont)

I'd bet money on it.
VCash bet that if Bama loses, they do not make it in over a
Basically the committee said "conference championship games are important" in 2014 with TCU and Baylor.........yet clearly they dont think conference championship games are very important by Rewarding teams by putting them in when they dont even win the division of their conference.
How dare the committee do what they are tasked with and find the best four teams.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC teams can get away with their OOC, and pretty much ALL of the rest of us have added a yearly FCS team.. because they can and it doesn't hurt their chances of reaching a high ranking. We have ALL of the evidence we need to see how it would play out if OOC games no longer had any impact at all on reaching the playoffs. ALL of them would be against teams where you can play your greenhorns, rest up your starters, and be in a better place to face your real opponents. It just seems obvious to me.

The problem with the west coast is we will never have the advantage of the SEC when it comes to OOC until everyone outside of them incentivizes them to change. Out west we have essentially 2 conferences, in the MWC and Big Sky or whatever the hell league North Dakota plays in, to choose from for OOC then just pray someone doesn’t back out like Wisconsin did to both our schools. College football needs uniformity where we on the west coast, or hell any conference outside the SEC isn’t at a disadvantage or it will stay how it is where IMO conferences really are irrelevant for football. There is no way (especially with a committee that doesn’t watch football) to choose a champion when you can’t place resumes up next year each other without massive holes in it. Does UCF play the toughest schedule, of course not, doesn’t mean they aren’t worthy. It’s just like a resumes in the real world.

But like I said I don’t blame the SEC folks I blame all of the other conferences who chased money when it came to the BCS then the short sided realignment where the SEC is going to be the only conference that tv ratings mean anything in 5 years and television money as the main revenue source is because of a lack of effort by AD’s. Either whore yourself out all the way or don’t, it’s like a chick who decides being naked is her profession, you either try to be the A squad or do pron, you don’t settle for the afternoon shift because it is easy money.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but their second loss wasn't Iowa . That's a game you can't avoid . The second ( avoidable ) loss was Oklahoma . I get your point I'm just not sure it's right . I know we've debated this before but I still think a 12-1 OSU gets in over Bama last year even with the Iowa loss
And the “avoidable loss” against Oklahoma got them into the playoffs in 2016.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How dare the committee do what they are tasked with and find the best four teams.
I don't inherently disagree but if that's the job ( which they say it is ) then why no othet with criteria ? They list off these 17 things they use to rank teams but when something doesn't fit into that criteria they say " we just rank them in the order we think they're best ). I think most people would be fine with that so they really should just get rid of the criteria aspect as it does nothing but create controversy ( although that may be the point lol )

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the “avoidable loss” against Oklahoma got them into the playoffs in 2016.
No what got them in in 16 was going 11-1 instead of 11-2

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The committee doesn't pick the best 4 teams. They pick their opinion of the best 4 teams. Real Champions aren't "selected". Again Alabama wasn't even the best team in their division.The "committee" rewards teams for failing. And the current system promotes a watered down regular season. Baja will get in with one loss this has already been established. Last year when OSU had the better resume

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going 11-1 and actually beating Oklahoma. They play Ohio rather than Oklahoma and they would have been sitting at home during the playoffs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The committee doesn't pick the best 4 teams. They pick their opinion of the best 4 teams. Real Champions aren't "selected". Again Alabama wasn't even the best team in their division.The "committee" rewards teams for failing. And the current system promotes a watered down regular season. Baja will get in with one loss this has already been established. Last year when OSU had the better resume
So let’s go to an auto bid program that makes the season more watered down than Bud Light? Hell no. OSU didn’t have a better resume. They looked like shit the whole season, got blown out by a mediocre Iowa, the only game they look good in was Michigan State. Should have lost to Penn State and Michigan but they were coached by the Choke twins.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing the CCG got them in. 11-2 while playing an extra game and winning a conference championship > 11-1 and finishing 2nd in your division. That 2nd loss theory is asinine

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going 11-1 and actually beating Oklahoma. They play Ohio rather than Oklahoma and they would have been sitting at home during the playoffs.
Maybe .Maybe not

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let’s go to an auto bid program that makes the season more watered down than Bud Light? Hell no.
You claim an outbid system waters everything down. Although its earning it on the field;d and adding more meaningful games. Yet are ok with the current system that currently promotes teams watering down the season.By rewarding weaker SOS and failing to win your division. If you didnt want a watered down system OSU is in over Bama last year.......The current system is broken. It needs to be tweaked if we want a true champion or they're just promoting this

xHKXfFA.png

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claim an outbid system waters everything down. Although its earning it on the field;d and adding more meaningful games. Yet are ok with the current system that currently promotes teams watering down the season.By rewarding weaker SOS and failing to win your division. If you didnt want a watered down system OSU is in over Bama last year.......The current system is broken. It needs to be tweaked if we want a true champion or they're just promoting this

xHKXfFA.png
By saying that 1/3 to a 1/4 of the season is completely worthless, I don’t get how anyone can not see that is watering the season into absolute piss water.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NW IS mediocre, I wouldn't be trying to prop them up like SEC homers will try to prop up Miss State and Texas A&M. Even if they did happen to at least beat Akron and were in the top 25 right now.

I think Miss State and A&M are better than NW is. But neither of them are good. A&M and Miss State are top 25 good. NW is probably top 30-35 good. But neither A&M or Miss State has a chance in hell of winning their division like NW does.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think the CFP top 25 has absolutely no influence from the AP/Coaches poll your are incredibly naive.

Teams get boosted from beating preseason top 25 teams who end up being shit every year. Of course the initial ranking doesnt mirror the end, but the initial preseason rankings shapes a good amount of the rest of the season.

I honestly don't think it does. There's a pretty large variance between the CFP rankings and the AP/Coaches Poll.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By saying that 1/3 to a 1/4 of the season is completely worthless, I don’t get how anyone can not see that is watering the season into absolute piss water.
Is Ohio State in the play offs last year over Alabama if they play Arkansas State instead of Oklahoma? Mercer instead of Iowa?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ohio State in the play offs last year over Alabama if they play Arkansas State instead of Oklahoma? Mercer instead of Iowa?
Is Ohio State in the playoffs in 2016 if the play Mercer instead of Oklahoma?