• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 67 Northern Kentucky 42

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WVU regroups from a dismal 20-17 halftime lead to beat NKU 67-42 and push their record to 8-1. This was a very ugly, sloppy basketball game that was marred with pathetic shooting right from the start. At the 7:47 mark of the 1st half, both teams combined for 16 points as the score was tied at 8. Not sure if I can ever remember a time in a Division 1 basketball game where I have seen such ineptness. Nonetheless, WV kept the pressure on and wore down the Norse(what a great party stumper: Can you name the nickname of Northern Kentucky University?) in the 2nd half to complete a not so impressive victory.

11 WV players got into the scoring column tonight led by Jawan Staten's 12 Pts, 8 Reb, 4 Ast, 3 Stl. Devin Williams adds 12 and Holton adds 10 to round out the double digit scorers. Also of note, the NORSE ( gotta love that nickname) committed 20 turnovers against the vaunted WV pressure. After 9 games, UCONN's 19 were the fewest by any WV opponent so far this season.

A couple of notes here from tonight's game. 1) teams are scouting this press and I am concerned it wont be as effective against teams in the Big 12 with good guards who can knock down three's in transition. 2) Half court offense had better improve as there does not seem to be a go to guy who can score off the bounce. Staten, as good as he may be, is a little limited versus taller defending guards. Miles/Phillips/Paige or Carter had better step up and be that go to guy if WV is going to compete at the top of the Big 12. So, the season moves on and we have 7 days before we play the Herd whom you better believe is grinding their teeth waiting for this one. Hopefully, the Coaching staff and the older players, will instill to the Freshmen, the importance of this game. If they don't know yet, they will know after this week that you never, ever LOSE TO MARSHALL. Have a great week Mountaineer Fans and may you and your family be blessed.