• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Derrick Favors Thread

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Jazz let both Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap walk in free agency without getting anything in return, that was a sign that they were ready to turn the franchise over to their young players.

The large contract extension just offered and agreed to by Derrick Favors is the team putting its money where its mouth is.

From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Derrick Favors has reached agreement on a four-year, $49 million-plus contract extension with the Utah Jazz, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The deal includes bonus incentives that could push the package well over $50 million, sources said. …

With ideal size at 6-foot-10 and 250 pounds, and merely the age of a college senior, Favors could’ve commanded a $13 million annual salary from several teams in restricted free agency next summer, executives told Yahoo Sports.

The extension provides some security for both sides.

Favors has all the tools to be a dominant power forward in the league, especially defensively. But he hasn’t yet played starter’s minutes anywhere close to a full 82-game season. Since coming to Utah as the key piece in the trade that sent Deron Williams to the Nets, Favors has started just 17 games in total over the last two seasons.

On the team side, Utah is being smart by locking up their promising young talent sooner rather than later. Big men who produce in this league get consistently overpaid, and all indications are that Favors would have received an offer greater than this next summer, and one that Utah would have had a hard time not matching in restricted free agency.

Favors averaged 9.4 points, 7.1 rebounds, and 1.7 blocked shots in 23.2 minutes per game last season. He should put up even more impressive numbers as a starter, which is the reason the Jazz felt so confident in locking him up with a long-term extension.

Report: Derrick Favors agrees to 4-year, $49 million contract extension with Jazz | ProBasketballTalk

Not a surprise since they committed to him and Enes Kanter now

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kanter, him and Burke are the 3 to build around. Not a bad start for the Jazz.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a little high, but they know best I suppose. We shall see if he can evolve offensively.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Favors

In skimming back, I don't see any recent threads dedicated to the big man. He has had moments of looking the stud. But, then he strings on a run of a few stinkers. Versus the 76ers, he was not engaged in anything. Against the Wizards, he looked like a bum. His is not what I would call a dominant rebounded, like one would have projected. He changes some shots. His offense is evolving as he has added a couple decent post moves into his repertoire. I gotta see some more rebounds tho. No more 6 point a night outings either.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's developing more post moves than I thought he would, at this time last year. I had reduced expectations of his offense.

He is still figuring out how to be more consistent there.

I agree, he's not a dominant rebounder like Drummond or Reggie Evans. But he still is better than most.

He challenges shots, but is not a dominant defensive player either. Better than average. But I think Anthony Davis is a lot better.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read an article pontificating on whether Fave is too short to play center. They were pointing out how he was actually underwhelming and not the defensive anchor advertised. The stats showed that we were actually worse, allowing more points, with him in the game. This is possibly due to the small ball, playing Fave and Marvin.

He had only 8 points tonight against NY. That is pathetic and not an indicator of all star capability. I'm not too impressed.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 boards from our starting C last night against Dallas. That is pretty pathetic. Especially when Marvin is playing the PF - should be plenty of boards up for grabs. The kid looks sluggish and unimpressive. On the other hand, Enes is looking sharp - like he did before his shoulder injury. I'd try starting the big turk. Of course, the Jazz won't do this because it would look bad to pay a guy and then relegate him to the bench. But Kanter, at this stage of the season, looks like the better and more engaged player.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 boards from our starting C last night against Dallas. That is pretty pathetic. Especially when Marvin is playing the PF - should be plenty of boards up for grabs. The kid looks sluggish and unimpressive. On the other hand, Enes is looking sharp - like he did before his shoulder injury. I'd try starting the big turk. Of course, the Jazz won't do this because it would look bad to pay a guy and then relegate him to the bench. But Kanter, at this stage of the season, looks like the better and more engaged player.

Kanter and Favors both started against the Spurs, and Marvin went to the bench. I think that's fine, both are playing well enough to start.

Also, it was just a bad rebounding game from Favors. For the year, he's a better rebounder than Kanter. Kanter plays 5 less minutes, but only grabs 6.7 boards for the season.

Favors went 6-8 in the Dallas game, and is shooting 52% from the field. Kanter is shooting 49.6% from the field. Both play a little differently, and have their uses.

Dallas also shot 53% from the field, they weren't a lot of missed shots to be had.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read an article pontificating on whether Fave is too short to play center. They were pointing out how he was actually underwhelming and not the defensive anchor advertised. The stats showed that we were actually worse, allowing more points, with him in the game. This is possibly due to the small ball, playing Fave and Marvin.

He had only 8 points tonight against NY. That is pathetic and not an indicator of all star capability. I'm not too impressed.

I don't think any of the bigs are expected to be All-Stars, just rotation players.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Favors' has dedicated this season to evolving his offensive game. That is the only area where I see any growth. To be honest, I wish he would devote most of his energy and focus on defense - something that he seemed to be naturally attributed to. As of last year, they were touting him as a possible defensive player of the year - the "Officer Favors" - rim protector - and potential league leader in rebounding. I am not seeing it.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Favors' has dedicated this season to evolving his offensive game. That is the only area where I see any growth. To be honest, I wish he would devote most of his energy and focus on defense - something that he seemed to be naturally attributed to. As of last year, they were touting him as a possible defensive player of the year - the "Officer Favors" - rim protector - and potential league leader in rebounding. I am not seeing it.

I agree, his defense is not consistent all game long.

Chandler, even during his first few years, was better than what Favors is now defensively.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
File this in the “How in the F Did I Not Know This?” Thread: Derrick Favors played with the Jazz his rookie year. I always thought we traded for someone who had played a few seasons. No wonder when I looked at his age or number of seasons I always thought something was off. I always felt he was a few years older.

Turn in my Jazz card?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should be in the "Nuraman00, why didn't you tell me we had Derrick Favors for his entire rookie year?" Thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turn in my Jazz card?

This is 2019. Instead of physical laminated cards, it would be something that when you use your voice to ask for a card, then a hologram comes out of your phone, representing the card.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I don't think we ever saw Officer Favors.

More like some guy that was ok at protecting the rim, and ok at rebounding. According to the internet which says what the police ranks are, that would be Police Technician Favors.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That should be in the "Nuraman00, why didn't you tell me we had Derrick Favors for his entire rookie year?" Thread.

I know we didn’t draft him. I thought he played in New Jersey for two or three years before we traded for him. :L