• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The defense is worse than in 2012

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
FS has been downgraded. Justin Smith is a year older. Rogers is a year older. Whitner started to lose a step last year, and now he's just a liability IMO.

Something needs to be done about this. There are a couple of guys out there who could reverse this trend.

So far, the only position that improved from last year (personnel wise) is WR.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that you can really say that until after the draft...and even then, we need to see how things play out.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all on the draft at this point. They need to elevate as many picks as possible high in the draft and get impact players.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all on the draft at this point. They need to elevate as many picks as possible high in the draft and get impact players.

I agree. I'd like to see us end up with 3 2nd round picks that we can use to solidify our defense. I'd be in favor of drafting nothing but defense with our first 4 picks!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. I'd like to see us end up with 3 2nd round picks that we can use to solidify our defense. I'd be in favor of drafting nothing but defense with our first 4 picks!

i'd be ok with trading up for three 2nd's, and ok with first four on D. but do predict it'll be 3 of first 4, cause they'll add a WR or TE?

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it time for the fangio drop off curse?:scratch:

Or maybe we plan to play AJ Jenkins at FS?

tumblr_mj2fzepwj61r3gb3zo1_400.gif

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson' absence is really going to glow and be a headache for us fans during the GDTs....

unless we find a gem in the draft

THe defense is oddly worse since the NFC title gm vs the giants IMHO, its been declining...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dorsey will be an improvement over Soap. Or at least I am banking on it. Hopefully we can find a good Safety, Defensive linemen, and CB in the draft.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey over Sop for 30% of the plays vs. every down without All Pro Goldson is not even close to making it a wash.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
FS has been downgraded. Justin Smith is a year older. Rogers is a year older. Whitner started to lose a step last year, and now he's just a liability IMO.

Something needs to be done about this. There are a couple of guys out there who could reverse this trend.

Obviously losing Goldson hurts. But while Smith, Rogers, and Whitner are older, guys like Aldon Smith, Bowman, and Culliver are older and still developing. And the offense should be better with a full off-season of Kap.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully we can add a ballhawk FS.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It sounds like this was the plan all along. The draft is so deep in quality safeties and the fact that Goldson would have made an incredible salary to come back, it only made sense to let him walk...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners need at least 1 big-name impact guy to elevate the defense this offseason IMO. And I don't mean a safety. They're set w/ starters on the front 7, but CB could use an upgrade. And then there's a situational pass-rusher (Haralson would probably hold that spot at this point).

They could make up for it by getting Warmack or Cooper at C and having one of the best O-lines of all time, but if they don't do that, at least one of the following players needs to be a 49er this season IMO:

Revis
Jarvis Jones
John Abraham
Dumervil
Nnamdi
Osi

I'd prefer it isn't Osi because that messes up the compensatory pick(s), but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Plus they need 1 good 3-4 DL. I'd prefer 2 (Hankins & Carradine), but 1 would be fine.

GET ONE OF THOSE 6 PLAYERS!!! (or an OL like Warmack or Cooper).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta exit the draft with a passrusher at 34 end and 34 OLB.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Will have to wait till the draft and till the rest of the FA sign before seeing how we are defensively.

The other tough part is it's hard to gauge just how good (or bad) the developmental guys on our roster are since there isn't anything to go by. Maybe Cam Johnson is the situational pass rusher we need or maybe Ian Williams is going to be a big part of the DL. Nobody knew how good Bowman was going to be at first and we've seen how that panned out.

Dorsey I believe winds up being an upgrade to Soap because I think Tomsula will coach him up and I see him playing more than NT and playing some DT when we go in 4 man fronts.

I do think we need to at least sign Nnamdi. I think using him exactly how he should be used and putting him on the best defense along with the best coaching he's gotten might make him a steal in the short term. Also unless we jump way up in the draft it's unlikely we're going to find a CB that's a significant upgrade to what we already have.

Absolutely must draft a Safety. Right now with Dahl and Whitner are more infamous for blowing coverages than anything else. We need a Safety with strong coverage skills whose a ball hawk.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: safety, Brock played FS in college, I think. I wonder if he could get a look there. Probably not, but it might bear considering if we pick up another CB. Also interested in what Robinson might have to offer. I'd like to add two safeties in the draft. Whitner was a disaster in coverage last year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

:agree:. Especially the Justin Smith part.