• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Dark Tower (2017)

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Elba, but it just occurred to me...

How are they going to deal with the Detta/Roland relationship with Roland being black?

This^

I have no problem with them casting Elba, but it does screw up the content of the story to a certain extent. Detta is highly distrustful and violent not only because of Eddie and Roland being male, but also because they are white.

Also, it does reek of a double-standard. If the situation had been reversed (Roland written black, and cast white for the movie) then people would be throwing a fit about it. Not a big deal though. Still just looking forward to the movies.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This^

I have no problem with them casting Elba, but it does screw up the content of the story to a certain extent. Detta is highly distrustful and violent not only because of Eddie and Roland being male, but also because they are white.

Also, it does reek of a double-standard. If the situation had been reversed (Roland written black, and cast white for the movie) then people would be throwing a fit about it. Not a big deal though. Still just looking forward to the movies.
Apparently, Detta will be white (and renamed). She will just be a racist white **** instead of a racist black ****. It seems a bit too PC for my tastes, and it seems to remove the tension between her and Eddie, but we will see how it is handled.

I am getting more concerned with how Jake will age through the series. If they don't film all the movies at once, we will end up with a Chandler Riggs/Carl situation.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, Detta will be white (and renamed). She will just be a racist white **** instead of a racist black ****. It seems a bit too PC for my tastes, and it seems to remove the tension between her and Eddie, but we will see how it is handled.

I am getting more concerned with how Jake will age through the series. If they don't film all the movies at once, we will end up with a Chandler Riggs/Carl situation.

WTF?!?

That is just stupid. Plus, as you noted, it now affects her relationship dynamic with Eddie.

Detta being black is a key part of her character. It is also key to her relationship with the other characters. To change Roland to black, and then go and change Detta to white is idiotic.

I'll still watch the movies, but this is looking more like a download than a theater visit as the casting news keeps rolling in.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is set to be released in just 4 months, but there still isn't a trailer. Not exactly the best way to build hype/anticipation for the movie.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was not a fan of the first book- but I will watch any fucking movie that has Stringer Bell and Rust Chole

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie is set to be released in just 4 months, but there still isn't a trailer. Not exactly the best way to build hype/anticipation for the movie.
There are fake trailers and leaked rough cuts.

What else do you want?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are fake trailers and leaked rough cuts.

What else do you want?
I want a real trailer for the film. It's unusual not to have one at this point. No need to have half a dozen trailers spaced out over a year like Alien:Covenant or Justice League, but not having a single trailer 4 months prior to release is a little ridiculous. I can't remember a movie that was this anticipated, this large in scale, lacking a trailer this close to release. From my experience, particularly over the last several years, it's very unusual. Geeze, does it mean the movie still isn't finished enough to put out a trailer? (this film was pushed back once or twice). Does it mean that the studio isn't putting a lot of money into marketing it (which would be a huge mistake)?

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want a real trailer for the film. It's unusual not to have one at this point. No need to have half a dozen trailers spaced out over a year like Alien:Covenant or Justice League, but not having a single trailer 4 months prior to release is a little ridiculous. I can't remember a movie that was this anticipated, this large in scale, lacking a trailer this close to release. From my experience, particularly over the last several years, it's very unusual. Geeze, does it mean the movie still isn't finished enough to put out a trailer? (this film was pushed back once or twice). Does it mean that the studio isn't putting a lot of money into marketing it (which would be a huge mistake)?
Tomorrow

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eddie and Odetta aren't cast yet. This isn't a remake of the books.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eddie and Odetta aren't cast yet. This isn't a remake of the books.

????

What is the source material then? Shrek 2?

I don't understand your statement. It is a translation of the books to the big screen. Of course it is a "remake" of the books.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally. Looks good too. A remake instead of a straight retelling.

Anyone else catch IT reference? In the scene where Jake sees the damaged balloons and the carnival sign, the sign says "Pennywise"...

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the trailer and it took all of about 1 minute for me to be okay with Elba as Roland. Always been a big Elba fan but being obsessed with the books it just didn't feel right with Roland being written white. This will work though and work well. I'm so pumped after seeing the trailer.

I'm less pumped now. That's gay.

????

What is the source material then? Shrek 2?

I don't understand your statement. It is a translation of the books to the big screen. Of course it is a "remake" of the books.
Don't read this spoiler if you haven't read entire the books.
It's because of the worst ending in the history of books. Roland resets at the end of th ebook and has to start over, I believe the movies are where he starts over. It left an opening and they took it. I actually like the idea.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the trailer and it took all of about 1 minute for me to be okay with Elba as Roland. Always been a big Elba fan but being obsessed with the books it just didn't feel right with Roland being written white. This will work though and work well. I'm so pumped after seeing the trailer.

I'm less pumped now. That's gay.

Don't read this spoiler if you haven't read entire the books.
It's because of the worst ending in the history of books. Roland resets at the end of th ebook and has to start over, I believe the movies are where he starts over. It left an opening and they took it. I actually like the idea.
I actually liked the ending to the series. It adds to the timelessness of Roland's life and his absolute desolation of having no hope, even in victory.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually liked the ending to the series. It adds to the timelessness of Roland's life and his absolute desolation of having no hope, even in victory.

I kinda liked that, on reaching the top, Roland's life was reset...with at least the possibility that his new future could follow a better course, not having lost his friend's horn.

But it left too many questions unanswered. We never really found out what the Tower was, or who built it, or why the survival of the world...and every parallel version thereof, depended on it.

My money was on the idea that Roland's world was the one in which The Stand was set, only centuries later...that humanity recovered, and civilization was rebuilt, and in time surpassed our own...but ultimately fell.

It sucked, IMO, not getting more answers, after so many years of devotion to the series.

Edit: added spoiler tag. cal

Last edited by a moderator:

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst ending I've ever come across in any book. Basically made the entire thing moot. Hated it. not enough for the series to stop being my favorite though haha.