• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chicago White Sox '21-'22 offseason

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just sign Marcus Simien! He would be a plus defensively and offensively. If the Sox are competitive with an offer - they are at a stage of development that Simien could see himself as the difference maker if he joins up.

Sign Chris Tucker to replace Leury Legend Garcia.

Tell Reinsdorf - if he wants TLR to win a world series - he needs to depart with some of his best friends at the bank.
55225073.jpg

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the top 25 FAs, at least according to The Score.

Not sure if they're ranked by anticipated salary, relative talent, whatever. Some big names available, especially at SS. Personally, I'd have Robbie Ray listed closer to the front of the line. And I was mildly surprised to see Freddie Freeman on the list. I just kinda assumed he was locked up for a longer spell. I like that they state which players can still have the QO slapped on them. As we all know, Carlos Rodon, the only Good Guy representing on this list and ranked 15th, is a candidate for the QO.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential Free Agent RF prospect from Japan. Led Japanese league in assists from the out field - recently hit 8 Hrs in 6 games - very fast - MLB swing. Called by some "Mini-Trout." Will head into age 27 season - wants to be posted for MLB chance,

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of articles explaining the upcoming timetable for free agency, QO, etc, as well as which teams would have to surrender which picks in the event they sign a FA who received a QO. For the Good Guys, we'd be saying buhbye to our 2nd round pick. Depending on who we sign of course, it would likely be well worth it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joctober?

I don't think so. Homey don't play dat. Remember when it was reported that Pederson turned down an extra 2 mil to sign with the Sox and instead opted for the north side? Anyone who's that stupid should not be wearing a South Side joizy - ever. Besides, if we're hellbent on signing a FA outfielder with L/H power but less than avg defense, I'd just as soon go with another ex-Cubbie, the stronger and much more likable Kyle Schwarber.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the top 25 FAs, at least according to The Score.

Not sure if they're ranked by anticipated salary, relative talent, whatever. Some big names available, especially at SS. Personally, I'd have Robbie Ray listed closer to the front of the line. And I was mildly surprised to see Freddie Freeman on the list. I just kinda assumed he was locked up for a longer spell. I like that they state which players can still have the QO slapped on them. As we all know, Carlos Rodon, the only Good Guy representing on this list and ranked 15th, is a candidate for the QO.
And here's a list of the top 50 per CBS Sports:

A bit surprised, but happily so, to see Leury Legend make the top 50 list, sliding in at #43. Rodon, the only other Good Guy here is ranked 29th.

Other notables who should at least be worthy of interest:

#4 Marcus Semien, 2b/SS - Best player for our biggest positional need, but the bad news is he's now going with Scott Boras as his agent. **Gulp**
#7 Max Scherzer, SP - IF Max was willing to take a 1-2 year tops deal and IF he was the least bit interested in pitching for us.........
#8 Kevin Gausman, SP - Mingo's pick for the Sox attempting to ink a quality SP and I could not agree more.
#12 Chris Taylor, INF/OF - The multi-positional answer to Leury's assumed departure. Ranking is too high, but he does bring serious versatility.
#24 Kyle Schwarber, OF - Don't feel OF should be a major chase, but the Schwarbs works hard out there and he does provide big time L/H power.
#32 Corey Knebel, RP - Coming off a pretty good year for the Dodgers, he'd be a nice fit for the middle of the pen.
#33 Collin McHugh, RP - At age 34, he'll likely garner a smaller salary & length than Knebel and might even give us a small hometown discount.
#41 Eduardo Escobar 2b/3b - If the Sox go bargain hunting to fill 2b, which wouldn't shock me, I suppose we could do worse.
#49 Manny Pina, C - The only catcher on the list. Would he be willing to be the backup? He'd still see a lot of action tho.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Castellanos exercised his option for free agency. He may be the best fit for the Sox clubhouse and RF, but figures to cost $20 million plus per year. He is 29 years old and could get 4 or 5 year offers.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Castellanos exercised his option for free agency. He may be the best fit for the Sox clubhouse and RF, but figures to cost $20 million plus per year. He is 29 years old and could get 4 or 5 year offers.
No doubt the man brings a solid bat and attitude. I still don't think OF should be a major factor in our offseason spending, but Nick could split time between the OF and DH. Don't think anyone can argue that he'd definitely be an overall upgrade.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potential Free Agent RF prospect from Japan. Led Japanese league in assists from the out field - recently hit 8 Hrs in 6 games - very fast - MLB swing. Called by some "Mini-Trout." Will head into age 27 season - wants to be posted for MLB chance,

On a scale of 1-10, how racist would it be if I called this guy Tadahootie all season if he plays for us?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now that this is taking place, there SHOULD be an active pursuit to upgrade the position. The only question is how much will the brass commit to its improvement. It's possible by freeing up this spot, they could offer it to Garcia, but as much as I like the Legend and the versatility he brings, I don't see it as an upgrade, certainly not a major one by any stretch.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt the man brings a solid bat and attitude. I still don't think OF should be a major factor in our offseason spending, but Nick could split time between the OF and DH. Don't think anyone can argue that he'd definitely be an overall upgrade.
How many DH's do the Sox need? (Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Abreu and Collins). Some of these guys figure to be gone by Hahn - for other team needs

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many DH's do the Sox need? (Vaughn, Sheets, Grandal, Abreu and Collins). Some of these guys figure to be gone by Hahn - for other team needs
they don't! castellanos would be a luxury the sox can't afford. geez i hope they don't pull this one. it's so like the sox. pitching and 2nd base, pitching and 2nd base, pitching and 2nd base!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. It's been evident almost from day one as the Sox have built up this roster that we are overloaded at certain positions, with DH/1B being the primary spots. We could also throw in good hitting/bad defensive outfielders as well, which of course would then include Castellanos.

I didn't rant on about the Sox possibly going after him - didn't want to put the cart before the horse, being there's really nothing out there suggesting Hahn is doing so. But I feel the same way in that there's barely enough playing time between the players you mentioned as it stands, and I'll add Engel to this mix. Now throw in Castellanos and we have the makings of what would likely be trade fodder amongst the younger ones, something that would bug me immensely. I'm still trying to get over the unnecessary loss of Madrigal as it stands. He. along with others like Vaughn and Sheets represent the group that would carry on the Sox talent level well into this decade. If we start trading them, then it signals that we're going for a 2-4 year period tops at chasing the crown. And this latter number might be a bit high to boot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the 8 players who have officially become free agents:

Who, if any of these, do the Sox put forth a strong effort at retaining? Who are the ones we simply say buhbye, seeya, wouldn't wanna beeya?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the 8 players who have officially become free agents:

Who, if any of these, do the Sox put forth a strong effort at retaining? Who are the ones we simply say buhbye, seeya, wouldn't wanna beeya?
I tried to edit the above, but I guess I was too late. I believe I incorrectly stated that the players are already free agents. I'm not sure of the exact timeline, but I think the Sox still have a couple of days to work out any type of deal, such as tendering a QO for Rodon. Not sure about this, so if anyone has some updated info on the issue, feel free to provide.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The White Sox need a defensive upgrade - fielding alone tipped the scales in the Astros series. I hope they spend the majority of their available cash on pitching and fill out their lineup holes with defense.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The White Sox need a defensive upgrade - fielding alone tipped the scales in the Astros series. I hope they spend the majority of their available cash on pitching and fill out their lineup holes with defense.
I agree about having a solid D, but when it all boils down, as it way more often than not does, it's all about the pitching. In only one of the six games was the losing team able to score more than 2 runs. And these were both pretty good hitting teams, especially the Astros, who BTW were shut out twice.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about having a solid D, but when it all boils down, as it way more often than not does, it's all about the pitching. In only one of the six games was the losing team able to score more than 2 runs. And these were both pretty good hitting teams, especially the Astros, who BTW were shut out twice.

2nd part of my post - spend the money on pitching!

Just thinking about the holes we need to fill in the lineup. If we’re talking about filling in 2B or OF, let’s get a cheaper guy that could improve our defense vs. getting someone expensive like Castellanos or Semien.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd part of my post - spend the money on pitching!

Just thinking about the holes we need to fill in the lineup. If we’re talking about filling in 2B or OF, let’s get a cheaper guy that could improve our defense vs. getting someone expensive like Castellanos or Semien.
I like your point about the pitching, but disagree about going cheap with 2b (no so much tho with RF where I don't feel a strong need to sign a big name player). We already had a cheap option at 2b in Hernandez, who also happens to play solid D at the position. So if that's our primary objective, why bother letting him walk?

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your point about the pitching, but disagree about going cheap with 2b (no so much tho with RF where I don't feel a strong need to sign a big name player). We already had a cheap option at 2b in Hernandez, who also happens to play solid D at the position. So if that's our primary objective, why bother letting him walk?

I didn’t think Hernandez was anything special in the field - I thought he was signed more for his offensive potential which never actually showed up in a Sox uniform.

I think a plus glove can be had for cheap, and if they go for big $$ at 2B they won’t be able to upgrade their pitching to compete with MLB’s best.