• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chicago White Sox '21-'22 offseason

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on who to target to improve the rotation next year? Anyone willing to gamble on Rodon?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so even tho the bodies are still warm, I nonetheless feel it's never too soon to start thinking about how we can make a pretty damn good ballclub a pretty damn great ballclub. It's obvious that we're not hanging yet with the Houstons, the SFs, the LAs. But we have the makings of a team that can be an annual contender for a number of years. There are a number of areas that could stand some improving, and they include:

2nd base
Starting pitching
Relief pitching
More power
Backup catcher
Super utility player (maybe)

Of what I've listed, I believe filling in the 2b spot with a brand new starter should be our top priority. I also listed more power as an offseason objective because even tho the Sox started slugging the ball better post-AS game, they still ended up only tied for 11th in the AL for homers. This 2nd base quandary and more power can be addressed by signing one player: Marcus Semien. While most of his career has been at short, he broke in with the Sox primarily as a 2b and he played this year in Toronto at the position. And it sure as hell didn't seem to hurt his game whatsoever. If Hahn was to offer him the right contract, I don't doubt for a moment he'd like to return to the team where he got his start. Not only would he blend in perfectly with an already strong lineup, it would help ease the pain of Hahn's stupid decision to trade Madrigal.

In future posts we'll obviously be talking about how the '22 rotation will be addressed - do we fill the vacated spots internally, FA signings, trades? But it's fairly certain we can't move forward with the status quo. The same to an extent with our pen, perhaps the most disappointing unit on the roster this season. There will be some must-keeps, but it can obviously stand some improvement.

No doubt we need stronger, more consistent performances from the backup catcher. Collins and Zavala just don't cut it. I honestly thought the position was going to be one of the higher priorities in this past draft, but the org gave it nary a thought. I have to assume the brass has some folks in mind and will target them this winter.

Finally, the need for one of those cool, super utility players who can do it all. Of course we're talking Leury Legend. He's now a FA and personally I can't see him wearing a Sox uni next year unless Hahn ponies up some big bucks, because the man is going to have his suitors. Plus I suspect he'd like the opportunity to be an everyday player. Who knows, maybe he'll re-up with the Good Guys, but I'm not betting the farm on it. Assuming he does leave, that's a pretty tough hole to fill.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on who to target to improve the rotation next year? Anyone willing to gamble on Rodon?
There have been mutterings about offering Rodon a QO. This coming year's amount is $18.4m. With his late season injury issues, he likely won't be receiving many big money offers, so dangling the QO might get him to stay put and take a chance on a bigger contract for '23. And if he walks, we get an extra draft pick out of it.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Sox fans should expect big improvements, if any at all, to the roster. I honestly doubt payroll increases. I would not be surprised to see payroll decrease. It’s a shame so much money is tied up in n Keuchel and Grandal.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so even tho the bodies are still warm, I nonetheless feel it's never too soon to start thinking about how we can make a pretty damn good ballclub a pretty damn great ballclub. It's obvious that we're not hanging yet with the Houstons, the SFs, the LAs. But we have the makings of a team that can be an annual contender for a number of years. There are a number of areas that could stand some improving, and they include:

2nd base
Starting pitching
Relief pitching
More power
Backup catcher
Super utility player (maybe)

Of what I've listed, I believe filling in the 2b spot with a brand new starter should be our top priority. I also listed more power as an offseason objective because even tho the Sox started slugging the ball better post-AS game, they still ended up only tied for 11th in the AL for homers. This 2nd base quandary and more power can be addressed by signing one player: Marcus Semien. While most of his career has been at short, he broke in with the Sox primarily as a 2b and he played this year in Toronto at the position. And it sure as hell didn't seem to hurt his game whatsoever. If Hahn was to offer him the right contract, I don't doubt for a moment he'd like to return to the team where he got his start. Not only would he blend in perfectly with an already strong lineup, it would help ease the pain of Hahn's stupid decision to trade Madrigal.

In future posts we'll obviously be talking about how the '22 rotation will be addressed - do we fill the vacated spots internally, FA signings, trades? But it's fairly certain we can't move forward with the status quo. The same to an extent with our pen, perhaps the most disappointing unit on the roster this season. There will be some must-keeps, but it can obviously stand some improvement.

No doubt we need stronger, more consistent performances from the backup catcher. Collins and Zavala just don't cut it. I honestly thought the position was going to be one of the higher priorities in this past draft, but the org gave it nary a thought. I have to assume the brass has some folks in mind and will target them this winter.

Finally, the need for one of those cool, super utility players who can do it all. Of course we're talking Leury Legend. He's now a FA and personally I can't see him wearing a Sox uni next year unless Hahn ponies up some big bucks, because the man is going to have his suitors. Plus I suspect he'd like the opportunity to be an everyday player. Who knows, maybe he'll re-up with the Good Guys, but I'm not betting the farm on it. Assuming he does leave, that's a pretty tough hole to fill.
It’s too bad they traded away their 2B of the future for a shot in the pan reliever. There’s no way the Sox land a player the quality of Semien. They will not pay the premium a player like that would command on the open market. The Sox are more of a “let’s see who is available in Cuba” kind of team.

Garcia definitely walks. I also see Rodin elsewhere too.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think Sox fans should expect big improvements, if any at all, to the roster. I honestly doubt payroll increases. I would not be surprised to see payroll decrease. It’s a shame so much money is tied up in n Keuchel and Grandal.
Disagree - well maybe not with the payroll increasing all that much, but perhaps the Sox will find a way to ditch Keuchel by carrying part of his salary - something like that. But I believe they're gonna improve this roster.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s too bad they traded away their 2B of the future for a shot in the pan reliever. There’s no way the Sox land a player the quality of Semien. They will not pay the premium a player like that would command on the open market. The Sox are more of a “let’s see who is available in Cuba” kind of team.
Semien's definitely gonna make some coin, but he's no spring chicken any longer, as he'll be entering his age 32 season next year. So the contract won't be that monstrous. 3-4 years at most, with likely a mutual option or two thrown in.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree - well maybe not with the payroll increasing all that much, but perhaps the Sox will find a way to ditch Keuchel by carrying part of his salary - something like that. But I believe they're gonna improve this roster.
Perhaps, but after the Machado fiasco, I have no expectations regarding this team and FAs. The fact the catcher holds the franchise contract record makes me think they are not exactly the most savvy front office when it comes to where to spend the money they have allocated for FAs.

I am obviously pessimistic in general, but I think there’s good reason for that. Just my two cents.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer.

I know, lol. That’s a player in a tier the Sox don’t touch. I honestly don’t know.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but after the Machado fiasco, I have no expectations regarding this team and FAs. The fact the catcher holds the franchise contract record makes me think they are not exactly the most savvy front office when it comes to where to spend the money they have allocated for FAs.

I am obviously pessimistic in general, but I think there’s good reason for that. Just my two cents.
Shit, you may turn out to be 100% accurate. I agree, we are talking the White Sox front office and ownership here, with all its boneheaded history. But I'm trusting the fact that we have the solid foundation of a team that can compete at a high level for a number of years, and that Hahn & co see this as an opportunity to fortify this roster with more talent. Of course, what transpires in the offseason will tell us a lot. I think we need to remember that despite this disappointing conclusion, we still won 93 games. We can build on this success.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, you may turn out to be 100% accurate. I agree, we are talking the White Sox front office and ownership here, with all its boneheaded history. But I'm trusting the fact that we have the solid foundation of a team that can compete at a high level for a number of years, and that Hahn & co see this as an opportunity to fortify this roster with more talent. Of course, what transpires in the offseason will tell us a lot. I think we need to remember that despite this disappointing conclusion, we still won 93 games. We can build on this success.
What worries me is when do they pull the plug on this core? If they make the playoffs next year and exit early like 2008, 2020 and 2021, or flat out miss the playoffs, I can see this experiment ending.

Again, I’m not trying to be a downer. Just something I’m wondering. I think this roster is more than a few tweaks away from competing.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What worries me is when do they pull the plug in this core? If they make the playoffs next year and exit early like 2008, 2020 and 2021, or flat out miss the playoffs, I can see this experiment ending.

Again, I’m not trying to be a downer. Just something I’m wondering. I think this roster is more than a few tweaks away from competing.
I think the big difference here is we have most of the talented core youngins on long term contracts. I don't recall this being the case in those previous seasons.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the big difference here is we have most of the talented core youngins on long term contracts. I don't recall this being the case in those previous seasons.
Vaughn and Giolito have resisted Hahn's voodoo so far, avoiding signing early contract extensions that are team friendly. Hahn must not have compromising photos of them yet.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Ryan Tepera is a stupid, stupid man.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only pitcher that showed up in the postseason.
I'm not criticizing his performance. I just don't think his comment did anything but motivate the Astros. I don't think he thought through his comments before spouting them. Without knowing, I doubt many of his teammates found them helpful.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not me. even at his best he's shown to be completely unreliable. that huge contract some thought he's get? i highly doubt it!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will reserve judgment on moves and players until they are made and then how they produce as a White Sock, as always….

BUT…if our big splash this offseason is a second baseman and that impedes starting pitching help/signings I will be shitting bricks into posts on this forum.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer.

I know, lol. That’s a player in a tier the Sox don’t touch. I honestly don’t know.

Sh*t…We couldn’t even score Wheeler. Sadly if we had him instead of Keuchel right now it might have been a completely different story this week.