• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chicago White Sox '21-'22 offseason

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get ready for the articles hyping up romy Gonzalez move to 2nd base going well.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 years/$175 mil is a lot of coin and a lot of years to toss at a 31 year old. As much as I wanted the Sox to sign him, I never thought beyond 5/125, and even then I would have hoped at least one of those was a mutual option. Don't get me wrong, I think Semien is going to give the Rangers a nice boost, but that contract is just a bit too rich and at least two years too long.
I just don't think there's enough info to know if there is a buy out built into it. Agree - 7 years without an out is too rich.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players be too expensive for us womp wommmm

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another thought, altho I didn't think of it. Not only is this a nice fatty contract for Semien, but assuming he relocates to Texas, he won't pay a penny in state income taxes. At that amount, it makes for a decent savings.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they were never serious about 2nd base. may as well resign hernandez. they better be serious about a pitcher tho.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another thought, altho I didn't think of it. Not only is this a nice fatty contract for Semien, but assuming he relocates to Texas, he won't pay a penny in state income taxes. At that amount, it makes for a decent savings.
No state income tax in Texas, but we make up for it with property taxes,

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No state income tax in Texas, but we make up for it with property taxes,
Yeah, I have heard that property taxes in Texas can be pretty high. We're a bit luckier here in Nevada, where the property taxes are relatively low compared to other states, plus we also don't pay state income taxes. So where do they get us? Well, here in Clark County (home to Vegas, natch), our sales tax is a stinking 8.5%. Now that sucks.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have heard that property taxes in Texas can be pretty high. We're a bit luckier here in Nevada, where the property taxes are relatively low compared to other states, plus we also don't pay state income taxes. So where do they get us? Well, here in Clark County (home to Vegas, natch), our sales tax is a stinking 8.5%. Now that sucks.
One of the reasons the White Sox are so good at signing Cubans -is they are willing to wait a year after the first bonus has been paid - before bringing them to the US to remove the US tax implications.

Death and Taxes -as they say.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scherzer signs for 3 years/$130 Million with the Mets. Only big name I've heard the Sox being associated with at this point is Robbie Ray. Doesn't seem like anything major will happen barring a trade.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else find it bizarre that the Sox love spending money on the most inconsistent position in the sport (relief pitching)?

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else find it bizarre that the Sox love spending money on the most inconsistent position in the sport (relief pitching)?

Don't have to spend $100M+ on a reliever.

And that's that - is there anyone left that the Sox have been linked to?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have to spend $100M+ on a reliever.

And that's that - is there anyone left that the Sox have been linked to?
Make it one more down:

Not that Seager was ever on our radar, but it's now moot regardless.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way teams like the Mets and Rangers are spending money makes it less likely MLB will lower the tax attachment point on team salary totals.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With many of the big name INF and SP off the board, it's beginning to look as tho if the Sox are going to make any kind of a splash, big name signing, it might now have to be in the OF. That's where the majority of remaining talent lies. The trouble is, our needs were greater on other parts of the field than OF. I'm thinking specifically 2b, SP, RP, and even arguably backup C. At least with the RP side of the equation, we did manage to reduce our need with a pretty damn good signing in Kendall Graveman. We still might need another, but RPs, even quality RPs are generally easier to find later in the offseason.

Not too many options left at 2b, which most of us agree was our single biggest positional need. Javy Baez remains available, but who knows what his contract demands are going to be, especially in lieu of these recent monstrous signings. The same with Trevor Story. It was rumored that he was heading to his hometown team, the Rangers, until they landed Seager that is. The problem with Story is he doesn't have a lot of experience manning the 2 bag. But coming off a very so-so season, maybe his price tag will come down a bit. The more affordable and more versatile Chris Taylor is still out there, too. I'm mildly surprised that no team has inked him yet. Wonder if he's holding out for bigger bucks as well.

So there's the outfield with a number of decent names still waiting for a contract, such as:
Nick Castellanos
Kyle Schwarber
Michael Conforto
Seiya Suzuki
(from Japan)
Eddie Rosario
Kris Bryant

Again, OF shouldn't be a high priority, but there are some solid, proven bats on this list and we could always use a good bat. Perhaps too tempting for Hahn to pass up on one of them.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some deals this November have been just historic bad deals - Scherzer and Semien the largest among them.

Deals like Ray's and Gausman's 5 years at $110 - $111 each should have been doable by the Sox - also Escobar's deal @ 2 for $10 million was a reasonable deal.

Hard to escape the thought the Sox were caught with their pants down on these signings.

Trade possibilities: Two other trade partners have opened up for Kimbrell - the Marlins and the Rangers - as long as they are being ridiculous,

The Rangers now have no place for Kiner-Filafa - who is a 2nd baseman Madrigal wants to become. Extremely good fielder. high contact player - good eye for the strike zone - not much power, but is also a pretty good catcher. Kiner-Filafa also is good at stealing bases - even though - he is just slightly above average in speed. Kiner-Filafa beat the Sox twice last year - almost by himself.

The Marlins have about 5 pitchers in AAA who could be MLB starters -with several pitchers right behind them in AA and A ball. Kimbrell could be dealt to the Marlins for a controlled starter in waiting - a guy who can pitch AAA ball and come in next season, or move up to replace Keuchel next year when his contract is up.

The Phillies still have 2nd baseman Jean Segura who can be dealt, but he has about $13 million in salary baggage that comes with him.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikeeeez,

Tigers aren't fucking around.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some deals this November have been just historic bad deals - Scherzer and Semien the largest among them.

Deals like Ray's and Gausman's 5 years at $110 - $111 each should have been doable by the Sox - also Escobar's deal @ 2 for $10 million was a reasonable deal.

Hard to escape the thought the Sox were caught with their pants down on these signings.

Trade possibilities: Two other trade partners have opened up for Kimbrell - the Marlins and the Rangers - as long as they are being ridiculous,

The Rangers now have no place for Kiner-Filafa - who is a 2nd baseman Madrigal wants to become. Extremely good fielder. high contact player - good eye for the strike zone - not much power, but is also a pretty good catcher. Kiner-Filafa also is good at stealing bases - even though - he is just slightly above average in speed. Kiner-Filafa beat the Sox twice last year - almost by himself.

The Marlins have about 5 pitchers in AAA who could be MLB starters -with several pitchers right behind them in AA and A ball. Kimbrell could be dealt to the Marlins for a controlled starter in waiting - a guy who can pitch AAA ball and come in next season, or move up to replace Keuchel next year when his contract is up.

The Phillies still have 2nd baseman Jean Segura who can be dealt, but he has about $13 million in salary baggage that comes with him.
Definitely agree on Scherzer and Semien deals being gawd awful, but sadly also agree on blowing the opportunities to land either Gausman or Ray or even Escobar- all three were fairly reasonable by today's standards, especially Escobar's.

I don't know buddy, I have zero idea as to what the offseason plans for the Good Guys are. I really don't.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely agree on Scherzer and Semien deals being gawd awful, but sadly also agree on blowing the opportunities to land either Gausman or Ray or even Escobar- all three were fairly reasonable by today's standards, especially Escobar's.

I don't know buddy, I have zero idea as to what the offseason plans for the Good Guys are. I really don't.
It's hard to see - at this point - how the Sox will go into next season - better than last year - on paper.