• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Chicago White Sox '21-'22 offseason

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get kris Bryant and move Moncada back to 2nd. He can play any outfield position too.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
breaking news: white sox sign …………

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Castellanos, who is probably the best hitting OFer still without a contract, is reportedly seeking a 7-8 year deal:

Believe it or not, if I were Rick Hahn, I'd give this big time consideration................with one very important caveat. After year 4 both sides have the right to opt out. If Nick agrees to that stipulation, which I doubt he would, then I'd like to see Hahn make a serious run for him. If he's not for it, then fuck him. Too many guaranteed years.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Castellanos, who is probably the best hitting OFer still without a contract, is reportedly seeking a 7-8 year deal:

Believe it or not, if I were Rick Hahn, I'd give this big time consideration................with one very important caveat. After year 4 both sides have the right to opt out. If Nick agrees to that stipulation, which I doubt he would, then I'd like to see Hahn make a serious run for him. If he's not for it, then fuck him. Too many guaranteed years.
even 4 years would be $125 mil. that spot isn't that much of a necessity.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a list from MLB.com of the best remaining FAs still out there:

Interesting that Correa, the assumed #1 FA, remains without a contract. I'm thinking the Yanks and Dodgers are the two clubs with the deepest pockets who will pay dearly for his services. Stroman is the top pitcher still out there, but he said last year before signing the Mets QO that he wouldn't pitch for TLR, so might as well cross his name off. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some talent remains in the OF. The longer they go without signing with a club, the likelier it will be they may have to take a one year prove it deal, which might bode well with respect to our situation.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth - I heard a guy named Vinnie Duber say on a podcast the Sox have the makings of a trade on the table with the Phillies - for Kembrill - that would involve Phillies 2nd baseman Jean Segura. Segura's contract is at $14 million a year. The Sox also want a minor league middle infielder and a relief pitcher prospect, but that hasn't been agreed upon. The Sox can go another direction with the trade neither side has made a commitment. I can see the logic of that scenario.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year Segura hit .290 and 14 hrs - with a 3.7 WAR

He has a $14 million contract and a 2nd year option with a $1 million buyout.

IMO - you can pretty much expect that this Dominican will be a White Sox in a Kimbrell trade.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year Segura hit .290 and 14 hrs - with a 3.7 WAR

He has a $14 million contract and a 2nd year option with a $1 million buyout.

IMO - you can pretty much expect that this Dominican will be a White Sox in a Kimbrell trade.

With the White Sox selling low on Kimbrell it’s tough to nail down what would be acceptable to the Phillies. Hopefully a top prospect isn’t involved in the deal.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the White Sox selling low on Kimbrell it’s tough to nail down what would be acceptable to the Phillies. Hopefully a top prospect isn’t involved in the deal.
This rumored deal would be Kimbrell for Segura and two prospects from the Phillies.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This rumored deal would be Kimbrell for Segura and two prospects from the Phillies.

Why would the Phillies take on more salary? Why would they value a reliever who’s been more bad than good in recent history over a versatile middle infielder coming off a good season? I’m not buying it - I’d believe something closer to this:

Craig Kimbrel ($16M) +Evan Marshall + Jose Ruiz to Philadelphia for Jean Segura ($14M)

The White Sox need a 2B, the Phillies need relief pitching. The Phillies were 27th in team fWar for relievers and have no legit closer. Kimbrel gives them a potential lights out closer. Ruiz proved that he’s a good low leverage reliever last year and is still young + has the stuff for a bigger role. A good low leverage reliever would be a god-send for the Phillies. Marshall is one injury free season removed from being a legit back of the bullpen option. He’s a good bounce back candidate. Segura gives the Sox a low strike-out, high average bat with sneaky pop for the bottom of the line-up. Ideally, we’d pick up someone that mashes righties but turning Kimbrel into a legit starting 2B isn’t a bad thing. I think the Sox would have to throw in more for this to happen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would the Phillies take on more salary? Why would they value a reliever who’s been more bad than good in recent history over a versatile middle infielder coming off a good season? I’m not buying it - I’d believe something closer to this:

Yeah - I don't know. The Phillies see Segura as over priced - and have top prospects to replace him (cheaply). Kimbrell had a terrific first half last year as a closer - and couldn't get it together as a White Sox in the role the Sox tried to fit him into. My instinct is that both teams have over paid guys - Segura had three gradually declining stat years prior to 21 -where he came back somewhat - certainly not in the SB and HR categories - though.

I wouldn't like the deal if the Sox had to trade Ruiz and Marshall with KImbrell to get Seguara. Marshall being an odd factor since he will not likely be ready to pitch next year in any useful way.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recently held Minor League Rule 5 Draft:

Sox didn't lose anyone and only picked up one player, Moises Castillo, from the Cardinals in the 1st round. He plays the three IF positions. Based on his stats, he seems to have been taken for his glove work. One draft transaction of note: Former Sox 1st round pick and total bust Carson Fulmer was selected by the Dodgers at the end of the 2nd round.

Bearsfan81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article running down the FA frenzy at the end of last month. Not a single mention of the White Sox being involved in any of them (not even Semien). Makes you wonder if they didn't expect this spending spree or legitimately didn't think they needed to sign any of them.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good article running down the FA frenzy at the end of last month. Not a single mention of the White Sox being involved in any of them (not even Semien). Makes you wonder if they didn't expect this spending spree or legitimately didn't think they needed to sign any of them.
Either scenario indicates the brass was and is completely unprepared for '22 and beyond. Shame on them if they didn't anticipate the contract values. Now I won't say shame on them for thinking they don't need any big name sigs to win, but I'll strongly disagree with this line of thought. If we don't do anything further to strengthen the club, I believe we won't go very far again in the postseason, and that's assuming we make it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your Chicago White Sox - may not be big spenders, but they will spare no time or expense trying to find diamonds in the rough. At least he is a Lefty - which gives him a good shot as the White Sox are deficient.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys who would figure to improve over last season:

Jimenez
Robert
Cease
Vaughn
Sheets

Guys who figure to show decline:

Abreu
Lance Lynn

Guys I can't figure one way or the other:

Anderson
Giolito
Moncada
Grandal
Crochette
Kopech
Hendriks
Bummer
Engle

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys who would figure to improve over last season:

Jimenez
Robert
Cease
Vaughn
Sheets

Guys who figure to show decline:

Abreu
Lance Lynn

Guys I can't figure one way or the other:

Anderson
Giolito
Moncada
Grandal
Crochette
Kopech
Hendriks
Bummer
Engle
Pretty solid take on that list, especially the ones you can't figure out, because I pretty much can't either. I might slightly disagree about Pito showing decline. While his offense was off a bit this past season, and really not all that much, his defense has never been better. And I've said in a number of previous posts that the way he's built, players like him actually produce well into their late 30's. He's really not your classic "athlete", the type of player who often does show decline once they hit their mid-30's. Which is why I think he'll continue to mash and most importantly, continue to drive in runs.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty solid take on that list, especially the ones you can't figure out, because I pretty much can't either. I might slightly disagree about Pito showing decline. While his offense was off a bit this past season, and really not all that much, his defense has never been better. And I've said in a number of previous posts that the way he's built, players like him actually produce well into their late 30's. He's really not your classic "athlete", the type of player who often does show decline once they hit their mid-30's. Which is why I think he'll continue to mash and most importantly, continue to drive in runs.
On Abreu - my impression was that he was beat up by the end of the season and not as sharp.

I don't think Jose Abreu will go into a deep decline. I do think he needs to learn to DH and sit games out and lead from the bench - rather than use up his body before the playoffs arrive. His miss rate went up this past season - especially at the end. Jose is a talented enough batter that he can make an adjustment to how they are pitching him.

Unrelated comment below - but in a way involves Jose.

I thought it was interesting that the Sox hired the Strength and Conditioning Coach from their minor league system to replace the S&C coach they let go. That kind of hire suggests to me that the Sox will retain the same S&C philosophy, but change the personality of the coach. It doesn't suggest that the Sox are going to make any changes on the conditioning programs. With muscle tears it seems to me you need more stretching.