• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bowl

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your opinion is fine but it also depends on what you mean by "stop"? I don't expect to 'stop' the Chiefs either, but do think we'll slow them down more than people think. My definition of 'stop' is they'll score in the mid-twenties. What is your scoring expectation?

You have to give the Chiefs room between the 20's, but think we can force more field goals than TD's.
I gave my prediction already grudgingly in post #49 of this thread:

Chiefs 37
49ers 23

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you notice, when players include a specific name in their interview, they always praise or indulge that player. Even if they don't believe it 100%, that is right thing to say.

Jones used JG's name but he's saying he isn't capable of 'carrying' the 49ers, that's a negative comment.

Jones should leave out names if he wants to say 'negative' things.
Meh. Why not be honest? He's wrong, but at least he's honest.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I gave my prediction already grudgingly in post #49 of this thread:

Chiefs 37
49ers 23

Ok, we'll see this Sunday.

For me i'm thinking the opposite scores. Granted if the 49ers are up say 30 to 16, they'll run clock and may not score that last TD? The Chiefs are bound to get a garbage time TD, reaching 23, 24, or 26 points.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me i'm thinking the opposite scores. Granted if the 49ers are up say 30 to 16, they'll run clock and may not score that last TD? The Chiefs are bound to get a garbage time TD, reaching 23, 24, or 26 points.
Yeah, in one part of my mind I agree. Something just seems like the 49ers' year. Although they should get beaten handily by the Chiefs, you just might be right. The speed of the Chiefs should be too much for the 49ers but how often do things line up like this?
They win a miraculous final game of the season with some outrageous luck and get home field. Then someone else beats the two teams they struggle most against in the playoffs and they play the worst two teams in the playoffs.

Then you have the history; Marino with the "unstoppable" offense which the 49ers shut down. Brady with the unstoppable offense which the Giants shut down. Manning with the unstoppable offense which the Seahawks shut down. I'm hopeful but not optimistic.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The worst thing that could happen is if the 49ers get up big early because then the Chiefs will unleash Mahomes on them just like they've done throughout the playoffs. When he is on, they are unstoppable. This 4-man rush will not get to Mahomes; I'm certain of it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The worst thing that could happen is if the 49ers get up big early because then the Chiefs will unleash Mahomes on them just like they've done throughout the playoffs. When he is on, they are unstoppable. This 4-man rush will not get to Mahomes; I'm certain of it.

They'll try to unleash Mahomes from the get go, why would they wait till they're down big? This thinking doesn't make sense. If we can get a big lead, its a no brainer we want to.

If the Chiefs want to throw short then yes, the rush won't get there. But throwing short is throttling down their "explosive" passing game. That's what we want them to do, throw short.

Yes, if their passing offense IS on, they're unstoppable. But they're also relying heavily on Mahomes, what if gets a concussion? What if he has to leave the game for an extended time? What if his finger is injured on someone's helmet? What if its not his best day passing?

Next, all 5 of their O-linemen need to block well all game. All it takes is for one linemen to miss his block and there's a sack, maybe a sack-fumble? We're not dependent on just one outside pass rusher, any of the four can get there.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'll try to unleash Mahomes from the get go, why would they wait till they're down big? This thinking doesn't make sense. If we can get a big lead, its a no brainer we want to.

If the Chiefs want to throw short then yes, the rush won't get there. But throwing short is throttling down their "explosive" passing game. That's what we want them to do, throw short.

Yes, if their passing offense IS on, they're unstoppable. But they're also relying heavily on Mahomes, what if gets a concussion? What if he has to leave the game for an extended time? What if his finger is injured on someone's helmet? What if its not his best day passing?

Next, all 5 of their O-linemen need to block well all game. All it takes is for one linemen to miss his block and there's a sack, maybe a sack-fumble? We're not dependent on just one outside pass rusher, any of the four can get there.
Its what they do. They've got this thing, like most coaching staffs, about wanting to be balanced. I don't know why they do it when they have Mahomes but Seattle does exactly the same thing. They try to play balanced offense and when it doesn't work, they unleash Wilson in the second half and they come back and win. Hard to figure why both teams don't do it right from the start.

And when has their passing game not been on?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its what they do. They've got this thing, like most coaching staffs, about wanting to be balanced. I don't know why they do it when they have Mahomes but Seattle does exactly the same thing. They try to play balanced offense and when it doesn't work, they unleash Wilson in the second half and they come back and win. Hard to figure why both teams don't do it right from the start.

And when has their passing game not been on?

Everyone is scared of their passing attack, especially you. Ok, then go ahead and be balanced, run half the time and save your potent passing attack until you face a big deficit.

Is this still making sense to you? Is this the game plan you'd expect from the Chiefs?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is scared of their passing attack, especially you. Ok, then go ahead and be balanced, run half the time and save your potent passing attack until you face a big deficit.

Is this still making sense to you? Is this the game plan you'd expect from the Chiefs?
Agreed. As they should be.
As I just finished explaining to you, no, it doesn't make sense. Hence my previous statement "I can't understand why they just don't feature Mahomes the entire game; or the Seahawks for that matter". There is no denying the accuracy of my statement concerning both teams and their respective offensive game plans.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed. As they should be.
As I just finished explaining to you, no, it doesn't make sense. Hence my previous statement "I can't understand why they just don't feature Mahomes the entire game; or the Seahawks for that matter". There is no denying the accuracy of my statement concerning both teams and their respective offensive game plans.

First you say we don't want a big lead because THEN the Chiefs will unleash their passing game. You go on to say they will be balanced like all teans want to be.

Now you say they will unleash their passing game?! You're saying things on both sides of the conversation again.

Thats what i'm telling you now, you're not making any sense. But this is why you think you're always "hitting it on the nose", because you cover both sides of the conversation. :-0

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you say we don't want a big lead because THEN the Chiefs will unleash their passing game. You go on to say they will be balanced like all teans want to be.

Now you say they will unleash their passing game?! You're saying things on both sides of the conversation again.

Thats what i'm telling you now, you're not making any sense. But this is why you think you're always "hitting it on the nose", because you cover both sides of the conversation. :-0
At the start. I'm starting to be worried about you. I know, and more importantly, you know, that I am right about what will happen if the Chiefs get down big. Denial is not your friend. But keep up with the straw man arguments if it makes you feel better.
Not saying the 49ers can't win, just saying they most likely won't win.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No flag for diving into Jimmy's legs on that pick? Go F yourself refs. We've been officially ref'd out of this game since that Challenge flag went our way. That BS pass interference call in the end zone hurt. Our guy had his hands up and never touched Kelce. Only got flagged because the ball was under thrown and apparently receivers have the right to play through the DB's position.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It went about as I thought it would. They'd get a good lead and then Mahomes would crush them as the offense, defense and coaching staff all choked badly in the 4th quarter.
But Deep Niner was correct that they played them very tough and held Mahomes down until the end. But watching them collapse as a team in the 4th quarter was discouraging.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
20 points not enough, 0 for 6 in 4th! Chiefs get the calls and score 21 points in 6:14!! Need Great Draft, Watch the cap in FA we will be more solid!!:)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This says it all:

COACHING

CHIEFS: Grade: A

Andy Reid had to work hard to earn his first Super Bowl ring. Kansas City was in a tough spot offensively, having no answer for San Francisco's four-man rush. The 49ers were able to drop a lot of defenders to stop the deep ball because they could create so much pressure with D-linemen Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner. Reid adjusted, getting the ball out quickly, relying on the run game, and going to some creative option plays. The adjustments worked like a charm, producing offense on a night where it seemed the Chiefs might be overmatched. Reid's clock management was sound.

49ERS: Grade: D

Kyle Shanahan did a superb job working the play-action game to create easy throws for a struggling Jimmy Garoppolo. But his horrific clock management and second-half play-calling deserves scrutiny. At the end of the second quarter, Shanahan let precious time tick away despite having three timeouts, costing the 49ers a shot to stack two scores to finish the first half and start the second. In the fourth quarter, the 49ers had a chance to ice the game. Their run game was thriving, but instead of relying on their strength and playing the clock, Shanahan passed on consecutive plays after a five-yard rush; neither pass was completed, giving the Chiefs plenty of time to take the lead.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm sure most of us know the SB loser doesn't have a stellar track record the following season. While i'm sure it'll have an effect mentally/emotionally, i'm not going into next season thinking we'll follow suit. We'll lose some good players so MAYBE we don't win as many games, but don't see why we can't get back into the play-offs.

In the past 20 seasons, nine Super Bowl runner-ups failed to make the playoffs the following season, with only the 2018 New England Patriots reaching the Super Bowl (and winning it). Going back further, there are limited examples of teams returning to the game's grandest stage and taking the final step and winning it.

Only eight teams in NFL history have made it back to the Super Bowl the year after losing it. Of those teams, just three -- the 1971 Dallas Cowboys, 1972 Miami Dolphins and '18 Patriots -- were able to take home the Lombardi Trophy.