• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Bowl

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes of course we're not going to run it 42 times again. Lean on the run means more run than pass but it doesn't need to be a lot more. But if we're averaging over 5 yards a carry like these last two games, then yes, lean on it a little more.

The Chiefs must start the game with the mentality they'll stop our run. But they'll need to commit a Safety to do it and keep the OLB's a step further out to guard against the outside zone runs. This will open up play action inside the numbers, whether Samuel, Kittle or even Bourne.

This will also give some opportunities for good inside runs. Against both the Vikings and Packers, some inside runs were effective because the OLB's cheated outside.
Sounds like you got it all figured out. Right on

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Like all games against good QB's, the best way to defend them is pressure. Even if you don't get sacks, pressure will 'hurry' the QB's decisiion making. Pressure cuts the time down for a WR to get upfield and Mahomes can't hold it long enough.

We already have a good front four so thats a solid start. What's more, pressure from the front four isn't dependent on one outside pass rusher, even both INSIDE guys can hurry Mahomes. On top of the front four, Saleh can mix other things in just as he did with the Vikings and Packers. He doesn't need to do it a lot, just here and there with either a LB, a safety, or even K'Waun Williams.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/133955-espns-get-debates-jimmy-garoppolos-ability-carry-49ers/

The 49ers doesn't need JG to carry the 49ers, thats the beauty of it, we have a good running game with less chance of error.

Whereas Mahomes MUST carry the Chiefs and he must do it the entire game. His pass protection needs to be good the entire game too, all five linemen.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like all games against good QB's, the best way to defend them is pressure. Even if you don't get sacks, pressure will 'hurry' the QB's decisiion making. Pressure cuts the time down for a WR to get upfield and Mahomes can't hold it long enough.

We already have a good front four so thats a solid start. What's more, pressure from the front four isn't dependent on one outside pass rusher, even both INSIDE guys can hurry Mahomes. On top of the front four, Saleh can mix other things in just as he did with the Vikings and Packers. He doesn't need to do it a lot, just here and there with either a LB, a safety, or even K'Waun Williams.
That's the key. Pressure from the inside doesn't allow Mahomes to step up in the pocket. Pressure up the middle with containment from the outside guys is what is needed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's the key. Pressure from the inside doesn't allow Mahomes to step up in the pocket. Pressure up the middle with containment from the outside guys is what is needed.

Yes, any combination and mix it up....inside then outside, one inside and one outside, etc.

Of course if its "3rd and 10" don't need to get fancy, send all four guys full bore.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Not 'maybe' the biggest key, 'IS' the key.

I wouldn't just use the front four 100% of the time, i'd throw in a few other wrinkles to keep them guessing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2278-surprise-49ers-hold-super-bowl-edge-over-chiefs/

I've been saying this all last week, but i'll back off this week.

He's also right at the end, there's still no guarantee we win cause chit happens!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm conflicted on this one because no one has beaten the 49ers unless it was the last play of the game. So I'd like to think it will be close. I have two thoughts:
First, the 49ers will have a slight lead and an opportunity to run out the clock but go ultra conservative and hand the ball back to Mahomes who with 4 downs to play with every series instead of having to punt takes them down for the winning score at the end.
On the other hand, I think Mahomes and that offense may simply be too much and will run away from the 49ers.

I guess I'm going with the latter only because it seems more likely:

Chiefs 37
49ers 23

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm conflicted on this one because no one has beaten the 49ers unless it was the last play of the game. So I'd like to think it will be close. I have two thoughts:
First, the 49ers will have a slight lead and an opportunity to run out the clock but go ultra conservative and hand the ball back to Mahomes who with 4 downs to play with every series instead of having to punt takes them down for the winning score at the end.
On the other hand, I think Mahomes and that offense may simply be too much and will run away from the 49ers.

I guess I'm going with the latter only because it seems more likely:

Chiefs 37
49ers 23

I'm not conflicted on this one. :-)

Unless the 49ers kill themselves with turnovers and too many bad penalties, it won't go down to a 'last series'. I see the Chiefs needing two scores at the end.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not conflicted on this one. :-)

Unless the 49ers kill themselves with turnovers and too many bad penalties, it won't go down to a 'last series'. I see the Chiefs needing two scores at the end.
That would be so much fun I don't think I could stand it. I just don't see them stopping Mahomes; no one has.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...-saying-chiefs-percent-super-49ers-shoulders/

Wow, you wouldn't expect this type of 'disrespect', but it really doesn't matter. So great response by JG, don't respond. It could very well be gamesmanship by Jones, just trying to shake him up.

The Chiefs know they have to stop the run, but that's basic for almost every NFL game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/commentary/2280-49ers-chiefs-position-grades-pff-super-bowl-showdown/

I know this doesn't mean a whole lot now, but did find it interesting.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articl...-saying-chiefs-percent-super-49ers-shoulders/

Wow, you wouldn't expect this type of 'disrespect', but it really doesn't matter. So great response by JG, don't respond. It could very well be gamesmanship by Jones, just trying to shake him up.

The Chiefs know they have to stop the run, but that's basic for almost every NFL game.
What's Jones supposed to say "We don't want to stop the run"? I don't see the disrespect. Garoppolo can do the job if needed though. Shanahan has got to help him out with play calling though.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couldn't get to your link but I heard this morning that the 49ers' offense has out-scored the Chiefs offense this year. And the 49ers have had a much tougher schedule.

Yes, i posted it earlier and your response was because Mahomes was hurt for 3 games.

The focus has been on the Chiefs PASSING game with good reason, but a lot of people are underestimating the 49ers OFFENSE. Just about any defensive Coordinator will say we want to stop their run and make them one dimensional. Saleh is already facing an offense that's essentially one dimensional. I'm sure the Chiefs will run some too, but don't think it'll be effective enough.

Just because we run more doesn't mean we can't score, but that is the perception between run and pass.

BTW - the asterisks is for: 4 9 e r s w e b z o n e

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The key isn’t so much keeping up with those receivers in a foot race. There aren’t many players in the league able to do that. However, they are athletic enough to stay stuck to those receivers long enough to make a play if the pass rush gets home. Two or three steps of tight coverage could be the difference between an incompletion and a touchdown.

They’ll also get plenty of matchups on tight end Travis Kelce, who is as good a pass catcher as there is at his position. While safeties and cornerbacks will get matched up on Kelce, the linebacking trio will have to run with him in the middle of the field.

Kansas City’s offense is a different animal for a defense, and it’s not necessarily going to be easy for the 49ers. However, if they can utilize their speed in the second level to eliminate some easy throws and swarm to the football when passes are completed underneath, they may be able to take away some easy completions for Mahomes and at least make his life a little more difficult.

The above is talking about our LB's. The first bolden is true, they aren't expected to stick with the WR's, but covering them a second or half second longer could be the difference.

The second bolden is also true of our defensive philosophy, which is make the opponent earn it. Obvously, we're not going to shut down their offense all game. So you give the Chiefs the shorter stuff and just make good tackles. Take good angles and make the tackle. Don't give up the long passes which are momentum turners.

We hope to give up more field goals, whereas we score more TD's.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, i posted it earlier and your response was because Mahomes was hurt for 3 games.

The focus has been on the Chiefs PASSING game with good reason, but a lot of people are underestimating the 49ers OFFENSE. Just about any defensive Coordinator will say we want to stop their run and make them one dimensional. Saleh is already facing an offense that's essentially one dimensional. I'm sure the Chiefs will run some too, but don't think it'll be effective enough.

Just because we run more doesn't mean we can't score, but that is the perception between run and pass.

BTW - the asterisks is for: 4 9 e r s w e b z o n e
The mods are assholes over there. So full of themselves. You couldn't pay me to post there. But I digress: the 49ers will score I'm sure, they just won't be able to stop the Chiefs in my opinion. That zone defense will get crushed by Mahomes unless Saleh has a different plan.
Not a problem though, not a single pundit is picking the 49ers so we are in a no-lose situation. We can just enjoy the game and maybe we'll get lucky

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The mods are assholes over there. So full of themselves. You couldn't pay me to post there. But I digress: the 49ers will score I'm sure, they just won't be able to stop the Chiefs in my opinion. That zone defense will get crushed by Mahomes unless Saleh has a different plan.
Not a problem though, not a single pundit is picking the 49ers so we are in a no-lose situation. We can just enjoy the game and maybe we'll get lucky

Your opinion is fine but it also depends on what you mean by "stop"? I don't expect to 'stop' the Chiefs either, but do think we'll slow them down more than people think. My definition of 'stop' is they'll score in the mid-twenties. What is your scoring expectation?

You have to give the Chiefs room between the 20's, but think we can force more field goals than TD's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's Jones supposed to say "We don't want to stop the run"? I don't see the disrespect. Garoppolo can do the job if needed though. Shanahan has got to help him out with play calling though.

If you notice, when players include a specific name in their interview, they always praise or indulge that player. Even if they don't believe it 100%, that is right thing to say.

Jones used JG's name but he's saying he isn't capable of 'carrying' the 49ers, that's a negative comment.

Jones should leave out names if he wants to say 'negative' things.