• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings

1) Ohio State (10-0, 6-0)
- Last Week: 1 - The Buckeyes broke FBS record with 30 straight conference wins this past weekend. This weekend, they could tie tOSU's longest winning streak record. It will take them to lose for them to drop.
2) Iowa (10-0, 6-0) - Last Week: 2 - Pittsburgh and Wisconsin have been the only teams that has kept Iowa under 28 points. Iowa's defense is slipping though as they have only won by 1 score. I know we haven't mentioned it, but Iowa is 10-0 for the 1st time ever.
3) Michigan State (9-1, 5-1) - Last Week: 6 - Last week, I dropped the Spartans down by losing to Nebraska and squeaking by Purdue, but they are a 1-loss team and still not out of B1G CG race.
4) Wisconsin (8-2, 5-1) - Last Week: 3 - MSU won big in their game and Wisconsin had a 1-score game against Maryland. However, the 24 points that Wisconsin allowed is the most they have given up all season.
5) Michigan (8-2, 5-1) - Last Week: 4 - Jake Rudock had a UM record-breaking performance with 6 TD passes and Indiana had no answer for that offense, but the Wolverines had no answer for Hoosier's RB Howard either.
6) Northwestern (8-2, 4-2) - Last Week: 5 - Since Michigan and Iowa has blown NW out, they have gone on a 3-game winning streak. However, they have not been dominant wins, but they are wins, one being over Penn State.
7) Penn State (7-3, 4-2) - Last Week: 7 - After PSU, there is a huge gap. Their only conference wins have been against teams below them and none with a winning record. They can make huge jumps with wins vs the Michigan schools.
8) Nebraska (5-6, 3-4) - Last Week: 9 - Nebraska jumps Illinois with a blowout victory over Rutgers, which followed an upset over Michigan State. They also had 4 heart-breaking upsets and will be bowl-hungry with 1 more game against 10-win Iowa.
9) Illinois (5-5, 2-4) - Last Week: 8 - Illinois beat Nebraska and also Purdue, who also beat Nebraska. However, the Illini was outscored 67-3 vs Penn State and Ohio State, Nebraska upset Michigan State.
10) Minnesota (4-6, 1-5) - Last Week: 10 - The Gophers went into Kinnick Stadium and refused to let the Hawkeyes run away with the game. However, they are on a 4-game losing streak and only conference win is vs Purdue.
11) Rutgers (3-7, 1-6) - Last Week: 12 - Rutgers have 1 B1G win - Indiana.
12) Indiana (4-6, 0-6) - Last Week: 13 - Indiana was close against Ohio State, Rutgers, Iowa, and now Michigan. Unfortunately for them, too many close games means too many losses.
13) Purdue (2-8, 1-5) - Last Week: 14 - Purdue embarrassed Nebraska and hung with Wisconsin, sucked other than that.
14) Maryland (2-8, 0-6) - Last Week: 11 - The Terps are on a 7-game L streak.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings

1) Iowa (11-0, 7-0)
- Last Week: 2 - Iowa ties their program's single season record of 11 wins. They are the only undefeated B1G team and one of 2 (3 if Okie State rallies) unbeaten across the country. They clinched B1G East.
2) Michigan State (10-1, 6-1) - Last Week: 3 - The Spartans get the W in B1G's biggest regular season game. Not only did they win, but they did it without Connor Cook playing a single snap. Their loss to Nebraska still weighs them down.
3) Ohio State (10-1, 6-1) - Last Week: 1 - The giant has been slayed in the game that would have tied the program's longest winning streak. If they win against Michigan, who knows how they look against the CFP Committee. They are Ohio State and returning NC.
4) Michigan (9-2, 6-1) - Last Week: 5 - Michigan passes Wisconsin after the Badgers were defeated by NW. Michigan did good against Penn State despite a few turnovers. They could pass Ohio State with win on Saturday.
5) Northwestern (9-2, 5-2) - Last Week: 6 - The Wildcats had a strong defensive battle against Wisconsin. They forced Wisconsin to turn the ball over four times and forced seven punts.
6) Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2) - Last Week: 4 - If they had a decent offense, they would be a much better team. They have one of the best, if not the best, defense in the B1G, but their offense usually gives up good field position.
7) Penn State (7-4, 4-3) - Last Week: 7 - Penn State put up a good effort against Michigan, but it was not good enough. All of their wins vs B1G opponents came from teams that currently have losing records.
8) Nebraska (5-6, 3-4) - Last Week: 8 - Nebraska does not rise or drop on their bye week. Four of their losses were finished off a game-winning scoring opportunity from opponent. They also have the biggest upset of the season and will have the chance for another top upset.
9) Minnesota (5-6, 2-5) - Last Week: 10 - Minnesota rises after win against Illinois. They will be going for bowl eligibility (well, 6 wins) against Wisconsin.
10) Illinois (5-6, 2-5) - Last Week: 9 - Illinois beat Wisconsin, but has gone 1-5 since with win against Purdue. They will face Northwestern for bowl eligibility.
11) Indiana (5-6, 1-6) - Last Week: 12 - The Hoosiers entered the B1G season 4-0 and was in the Top 5 in B1G. They played the conference's big dogs very tough, but they looked bad against a team like Rutgers. They did dominated Maryland in the 2nd half.
12) Rutgers (4-7, 1-6) - Last Week: 11 - Rutgers drop a spot after getting beat by Indiana.
13) Purdue (2-9, 1-6) - Last Week: 13 - Purdue upset Nebraska, but lost to rest of FBS opponents.
14) Maryland (2-9, 0-7) - Last Week: 14 - Why is Maryland last? look at their conference record.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings

1) Iowa (11-0, 7-0)
- Last Week: 2 - Iowa ties their program's single season record of 11 wins. They are the only undefeated B1G team and one of 2 (3 if Okie State rallies) unbeaten across the country. They clinched B1G East.
2) Michigan State (10-1, 6-1) - Last Week: 3 - The Spartans get the W in B1G's biggest regular season game. Not only did they win, but they did it without Connor Cook playing a single snap. Their loss to Nebraska still weighs them down.
3) Ohio State (10-1, 6-1) - Last Week: 1 - The giant has been slayed in the game that would have tied the program's longest winning streak. If they win against Michigan, who knows how they look against the CFP Committee. They are Ohio State and returning NC.
4) Michigan (9-2, 6-1) - Last Week: 5 - Michigan passes Wisconsin after the Badgers were defeated by NW. Michigan did good against Penn State despite a few turnovers. They could pass Ohio State with win on Saturday.
5) Northwestern (9-2, 5-2) - Last Week: 6 - The Wildcats had a strong defensive battle against Wisconsin. They forced Wisconsin to turn the ball over four times and forced seven punts.
6) Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2) - Last Week: 4 - If they had a decent offense, they would be a much better team. They have one of the best, if not the best, defense in the B1G, but their offense usually gives up good field position.
7) Penn State (7-4, 4-3) - Last Week: 7 - Penn State put up a good effort against Michigan, but it was not good enough. All of their wins vs B1G opponents came from teams that currently have losing records.
8) Nebraska (5-6, 3-4) - Last Week: 8 - Nebraska does not rise or drop on their bye week. Four of their losses were finished off a game-winning scoring opportunity from opponent. They also have the biggest upset of the season and will have the chance for another top upset.
9) Minnesota (5-6, 2-5) - Last Week: 10 - Minnesota rises after win against Illinois. They will be going for bowl eligibility (well, 6 wins) against Wisconsin.
10) Illinois (5-6, 2-5) - Last Week: 9 - Illinois beat Wisconsin, but has gone 1-5 since with win against Purdue. They will face Northwestern for bowl eligibility.
11) Indiana (5-6, 1-6) - Last Week: 12 - The Hoosiers entered the B1G season 4-0 and was in the Top 5 in B1G. They played the conference's big dogs very tough, but they looked bad against a team like Rutgers. They did dominated Maryland in the 2nd half.
12) Rutgers (4-7, 1-6) - Last Week: 11 - Rutgers drop a spot after getting beat by Indiana.
13) Purdue (2-9, 1-6) - Last Week: 13 - Purdue upset Nebraska, but lost to rest of FBS opponents.
14) Maryland (2-9, 0-7) - Last Week: 14 - Why is Maryland last? look at their conference record.
I'd honestly pop Mich over OSU but that looks pretty respectable.

Illinois has such a hot start kind of a bummer if they don't make a bowl, Same with Indiana

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings

1) Iowa (12-0, 8-0)
- Last Week: 1 - The Hawkeyes are one of only two teams in the country to finish the regular season without a loss. They also are the only B1G team not to lose a conference game.
2) Michigan State (11-1, 7-1) - Last Week: 2 - Winner of the B1G East and they defeated both Ohio State and Michigan. They lost to the same team Iowa just beat, but Cook will be far better than Armstrong for Iowa's DBs.
3) Ohio State (11-1, 7-1) - Last Week: 3 - The Buckeyes dominated the Wolverines in the Big House, but falling to MSU keeps them from B1G Championship Game. I can see them seeing Roses
4) Michigan (9-3, 6-2) - Last Week: 4 - I originally put NW ahead of Michigan after Michigan got dominated by Ohio State, but outside their loss, they have done great recently, if not all season long (including vs NW).
5) Northwestern (10-2, 6-2) - Last Week: 5 - NW has a great OOC victory over Stanford, better record than Michigan, but got dominated by Michigan. Close matchup though.
6) Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2) - Last Week: 6 - Wisconsin's defense has been solid all year long and lost vs P5 teams with 33-3 record. If they had Clement all season long, they may have been in B1G CG.
7) Penn State (7-5, 4-4) - Last Week: 7 - Penn State lost to 2nd-5th rank on here, as well as Temple.
8) Nebraska (5-7, 3-5) - Last Week: 8 - Four interceptions severely cost the Huskers a shot against undefeated Iowa. Solid defense. Could possibly be one of the 5-win teams that reach a bowl game.
9) Indiana (6-6, 2-6) - Last Week: 11 - I know they have clinched a bowl bid, but they hae only won 2 of their last 8.
10) Minnesota (5-7, 2-6) - Last Week: 9 - Rough year for the Gophers. Beloved coaches had to retire, weak offense, and just not the same team as last season.
11) Illinois (5-7, 2-6) - Last Week: 10 - Coach was gone before season started. Lunt had his moments but the Illini just couldn't win much in conference.
12) Maryland (3-9, 1-7) - Last Week: 14 - Halftime, last week's ranking was justified. But they came back and defeated Rutgers
13) Rutgers (4-8, 1-7) - Last Week: 12 - Lost to the Terps.
14) Purdue (2-10, 1-7) - Last Week: 13 - Only 1 win vs FBS opponents. How Huskers let it happen is still beyond me.

Reactions: H2S

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats to the Iowa Hawkeyes and the Michigan State Spartans...
the B1G CCG should be a doozy.

:suds:

grats, also, to the other six bowl-bound B1G teams

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G bowl predictions

CFP - Iowa - (of course I am homering this)
Rose - Ohio State
Fiesta/Peach - Michigan State
Citrus - Northwestern
Outback - Michigan
Holiday - Wisconsin
Music City - Penn State
TaxSlayer - none
Pinstripe - none
Foster Farms - none
Quick Lane Bowl - none
Armed Forces or Heart of Dallas - possibly Nebraska

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa AND Ohio State make it into the CFBP ?

That's my hope

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damned Hawkeyes...embarrassing the rest of us like that...:L

Mailbag - Did Iowa's Rose BowlImplosion Embarrass the B1G Most This Bowl Season?

Q: Iowa or Sparty? Which did more damage to the B1G’s reputation in the bowl season?

Townie
: Lucky for Sparty, Alabama won the whole enchilada...but that means Iowa’s skull fucking looks the worst for the B1G.

Jesse: Meh. Stanford and Alabama are good teams. Getting blown out sucks, but they got blown out by teams hitting their stride. I’d be more concerned about Northwestern getting blown out by Tennessee in what should have been a better matchup.

WSR: Iowa.

MNW: The answer is always Iowa. It’s fun to laugh at Sparty, though.

Stew: DAMMIT

Still, ROSE BOWL

C4B: Iowa, though you could also make an argument for the PurpleCats.

GF3: Iowa, but only by a nose. Sparty looked sad and pitiable in a special way, though. But Iowa...woof.

Yorke: Michigan State, but only because most of the nation thought Iowa was a fraud going into bowl season.

LPW: Iowa. I mean, the Rose Bowl is hallowed ground that we all revere, and they got beaten like a high school senior beating up a seventh grader.

Zuzu: Iowa. Stanford scored on the first play of the game didn’t they? I remember that as the biggest buzzkill of the bowl season. It was then that I knew it was all over. AND IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT IOWA "AT LEAST" SCORED POINTS.

babaoreally: Iowa. Losing to Stanford is worse than losing to Alabama.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - after week 1

1) Wisconsin (1-0, 0-0) - They may have not dominated the scoreboard, but anybody that watched the game knows their defense dominated LSU offense most of the game and had a clutch interception.
2) Ohio State (1-0, 0-0) - They faced a cupcake but totally dominated. Reason they are above Michigan is because I think BGSU > Hawaii.
3) Michigan (1-0, 0-0) - Like Ohio State, they faced a cupcake and totally dominated.
4) Iowa (1-0, 0-0) - They faced a cupcake. Iowa led 21-0 after 1st and 28-7 at halftime. They led 35-7 before putting in their backups.
5) Nebraska (1-0, 0-0) - Once halftime came, Nebraska dominated. They did only have a 4-point lead at halftime vs Fresno State. But a win vs Oregon will move them up.
6) Minnesota (1-0, 0-0) - Although Oregon State is not that impressive of a team, they are more impressive than BGSU, Hawaii, or Miami (OH). However, Minnesota did look bad at times with many unforced errors.
7) Michigan State (1-0, 0-0) - Spartans were in control throughout the game, but I never felt they dominated.
8) Purdue (1-0, 0-0) - EKU was actually a bowl eligible team last season and Purdue was awful. Purdue dominated this game.
9) Illinois (1-0, 0-0) - Illinois dominated Murray State.
10) Maryland (1-0, 0-0) - The Terps dominated from start to finish and had a 42-0 lead going into 4th quarter, but Howard only won 1 game last season.
11) Penn State (1-0, 0-0) - PSU went into halftime with a 3-point lead against Kent State, right away in the 2nd half, they scored off a pick 6 and dominated after that.
12) Indiana (1-0, 0-0) - They were losing 13-12 heading into the final period against FIU. Of course, they scored 22 unanswered in the 4th, but it took until the 4th to get going?
13) Rutgers (0-1, 0-0) - They lost by a lot. So, no B1G team that lost is above any that won. However, Rutgers did lose to a team that is expected to be much better.
14) Northwestern (0-1, 0-0) - I know the game ended with a controversial call, but the fact it came down to a call against WMU says a lot. Also, look at the stats. WMU won those too. At least Rutgers was expected to get destroyed.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd drop Wisky to #3 even though they had the best win on paper, they still didn't look better than OSU or UM

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a sucky way for Northwestern to lose the game... Wildcats QB Clayton Thorson fumbles the ball through the endzone just prior to scoring the winning TD. The WMU Broncos defender wasn't thinking, and almost flipped the ball back to the Northwestern players!

Football: Late fumble by Clayton Thorson dooms Wildcats in season-opening loss to Western Michigan

wtfnw.0.gif

Crazy play!

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh pumping-up starting QB Wilton Speight prior to the first play of the game vs Hawaii yesterday...

harbaughpunchi.0.gif

... moments later, Michigan's first play of the game was an interception thrown by Speight!

espnapi_evc_NCF_20160903_Hawaii_vs_Michigan_634fec02e82741a5813bfc6b7b413be0_wmain.jpg

:L

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SILVER BULLET

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Power Rankings - after week 1

1) Wisconsin (1-0, 0-0) - They may have not dominated the scoreboard, but anybody that watched the game knows their defense dominated LSU offense most of the game and had a clutch interception.
2) Ohio State (1-0, 0-0) - They faced a cupcake but totally dominated. Reason they are above Michigan is because I think BGSU > Hawaii.
3) Michigan (1-0, 0-0) - Like Ohio State, they faced a cupcake and totally dominated.
4) Iowa (1-0, 0-0) - They faced a cupcake. Iowa led 21-0 after 1st and 28-7 at halftime. They led 35-7 before putting in their backups.
5) Nebraska (1-0, 0-0) - Once halftime came, Nebraska dominated. They did only have a 4-point lead at halftime vs Fresno State. But a win vs Oregon will move them up.
6) Minnesota (1-0, 0-0) - Although Oregon State is not that impressive of a team, they are more impressive than BGSU, Hawaii, or Miami (OH). However, Minnesota did look bad at times with many unforced errors.
7) Michigan State (1-0, 0-0) - Spartans were in control throughout the game, but I never felt they dominated.
8) Purdue (1-0, 0-0) - EKU was actually a bowl eligible team last season and Purdue was awful. Purdue dominated this game.
9) Illinois (1-0, 0-0) - Illinois dominated Murray State.
10) Maryland (1-0, 0-0) - The Terps dominated from start to finish and had a 42-0 lead going into 4th quarter, but Howard only won 1 game last season.
11) Penn State (1-0, 0-0) - PSU went into halftime with a 3-point lead against Kent State, right away in the 2nd half, they scored off a pick 6 and dominated after that.
12) Indiana (1-0, 0-0) - They were losing 13-12 heading into the final period against FIU. Of course, they scored 22 unanswered in the 4th, but it took until the 4th to get going?
13) Rutgers (0-1, 0-0) - They lost by a lot. So, no B1G team that lost is above any that won. However, Rutgers did lose to a team that is expected to be much better.
14) Northwestern (0-1, 0-0) - I know the game ended with a controversial call, but the fact it came down to a call against WMU says a lot. Also, look at the stats. WMU won those too. At least Rutgers was expected to get destroyed.

This is how it will end up, according to my 2025 Sports Almanac...

1. Ohio State - Playoff and National Champion
2. Michigan - NY6 - Rose LOSER
3. Nebraska - Citrus Winner
4. Wisconsin - Outback Winner
5. Iowa - Tax Slayer Loser
6. Michigan St. - Holiday Loser
7. Maryland - Foster Farms Winner
8. Penn State - Pinstripe Loser
9. Minnesota - Quick Lane Winner
10. Indiana - Heart of Dallas Winner
11. Illinois
12. Purdue
13. Rutgers
14. Northwestern

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd drop Wisky to #3 even though they had the best win on paper, they still didn't look better than OSU or UM

In terms of quality win and how much we dominated (didn't reflect on the score board) I'd say the Badgers are deserving of the top spot. However I think with their lack of viable WR threats outside of Wheelright and inexperienced secondary I would say easily OSU is the better team and probably UM as well. I'll still take our win over any other win in the country this week.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Nebraska finally be a legit team this year? I was happy to see them join our conference but so far they've been an average BIG team while I was expecting them to be top 2-4 every year. If they beat Oregon and combine that with our win over LSU I think that puts the BIG in the discussion as the #2 conference.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he possessed the ball before he went oob, why wasn't it a safety?
No he gained possession in the end zone

In terms of quality win and how much we dominated (didn't reflect on the score board) I'd say the Badgers are deserving of the top spot. However I think with their lack of viable WR threats outside of Wheelright and inexperienced secondary I would say easily OSU is the better team and probably UM as well. I'll still take our win over any other win in the country this week.
By far you guys had the most quality win but QB play looked shaky and I didn't see enough to say they'd be UM or OSU H2H but I guess it depends on the criteria for the power rankings. It's only one week, so grain of salt.