• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History doesn't mean anything to kids these days. Academics only applies to probably 20% of the players choosing a college. Honestly, having higher academic standards is probably detrimental. The other 4 you listed is the same for 20+ other programs.

In the last 30 years Michigan is 11th in winning percentage. They haven't been a top 5-8 program since Bo, and even he didn't win a title.

So is Michigan going to pay 10/11 million for one of those guys? That'd be absurd given they don't have the track record Harbaugh did when he came to Michigan.

Either way it's a gamble IMO to bring in a new HC. Odds are the new HC will be the same or do worse, given the trajectory of the program.
Do you really believe it would take making them they highest paid coach in all of college sports to get one of them?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a scary thought when you see what has happened with some other programs after firing good but not elite coaches. I remember being a nervous wreck with the Tressel hire. I was nervous with Day too but felt better bc of how well Urban had been recruiting.

It's tough to know who's gonna be the next big thing. Obviously Clemson didn't know when they hired Dabo, LSU probably had a better idea when they hired Saban, but even then he didn't have a amazing track record at MSU. And even when Urban was hired at Florida he had no track record at a P5 school. He turned Bowling Green and Utah around really quickly so there was that, but still. When Michigan hired RR, he was coming off 3 top 10 finishes and had WVU within a game of the title game. That looked like a great hire(fit aside). Would hiring the guy who is 11-1 at App State be a great hire? I mean maybe, but he walked into a great situation.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trash him at all in that case. He'd be one of the lowest-paid coaches in the nation, so how could you expect much from him? Instead, not only is he dramatically overpaid, but all of his shtick and SportsHoopla has just been nothing but an embarrassment. Knock it off with the antics, the offseason globetrotting, and the pathetic press conference nonsense. Focus on your program and deliver on what you should be delivering.

Agree.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really believe it would take making them they highest paid coach in all of college sports to get one of them?

No I don't. Especially for Harsin and Norvell, but those aren't any type of home run hires or anything. Rhule would be a fantastic hire IMO. They'd be fighting off the NFL for him IMO, and would probably need to come close to what Harbaugh is getting now.

Money also isn't an issue. If I was a Michigan fan, hell even being an ND fan, I'd throw 15 million out there for Saban/Dabo/Meyer. The schools can afford it, and it's not my money so who cares?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't. Especially for Harsin and Norvell, but those aren't any type of home run hires or anything. Rhule would be a fantastic hire IMO. They'd be fighting off the NFL for him IMO, and would probably need to come close to what Harbaugh is getting now.

Money also isn't an issue. If I was a Michigan fan, hell even being an ND fan, I'd throw 15 million out there for Saban/Dabo/Meyer. The schools can afford it, and it's not my money so who cares?
Was Tressell a home run hire? Was Day a home run hire? Was Dantonio a home run hire? Dabo? What about Saban to LSU? None of them were home run hires at the time they signed.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a scary thought when you see what has happened with some other programs after firing good but not elite coaches. I remember being a nervous wreck with the Tressel hire. I was nervous with Day too but felt better bc of how well Urban had been recruiting.

That is the elephant in the room. Day had a great team when he took over. Will he be able to maintain the recruiting? I look at how far Florida fell after he left. Meyer had an eye for recruiting a team, not just players. I think that is Michigan's problem. They get players but those players don't become a team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Tressell a home run hire? Was Day a home run hire? Was Dantonio a home run hire? Dabo? What about Saban to LSU? None of them were home run hires at the time they signed.

Yeah that's what I basically said earlier. We don't know who will turn out to be a great hire if Michigan came open tomorrow. My point is they aren't getting Saban/Dabo/Meyer, so anyone that they hire comes at a risk. Harbaugh has stabilized the program from their worst stretch ever. Maybe he can't get them to the point they are an 11 win team during the regular season, but there is also only 4 programs that have done that in the CFP era. I don't understand the want to compare Michigan to other elite programs when they aren't? Michigan and ND are one in the same at this point. This was the most meh 10 win season for ND I can remember. Do I wish we could have done better? Yeah, of course. But I also know where we were for 12 years of Davie, Willingham and Weis.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what I basically said earlier. We don't know who will turn out to be a great hire if Michigan came open tomorrow. My point is they aren't getting Saban/Dabo/Meyer, so anyone that they hire comes at a risk. Harbaugh has stabilized the program from their worst stretch ever. Maybe he can't get them to the point they are an 11 win team during the regular season, but there is also only 4 programs that have done that in the CFP era. I don't understand the want to compare Michigan to other elite programs when they aren't? Michigan and ND are one in the same at this point. This was the most meh 10 win season for ND I can remember. Do I wish we could have done better? Yeah, of course. But I also know where we were for 12 years of Davie, Willingham and Weis.
So Michigan should be ok with being good but not great every year despite having more talent than nearly every single team they have played save one and still losing to multiple teams every year with lesser players because they might get the hire wrong?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Michigan should be ok with being good but not great every year despite having more talent than nearly every single team they have played save one and still losing to multiple teams every year with lesser players because they might get the hire wrong?

I'm not sure they have more talent than a program like PSU. It's similar as far as recruiting rankings go. So they have the two losses to them, the five to Ohio State. So that's 7 with what I'd say lesser/equal talent, especially on the road in those PSU games. 2015 MSU went to the playoffs. So that's 8. Sure there are losses where Michigan has had more talent, but it's still tough to play at where they lost. And upsets happen. I'd say probably the only games he should have won that he lost were Iowa in 2016 and MSU in 2017.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I read here are excuses.

You have a top paid coach, you have a fan base that has money, a university that has great facility for the athletes.

Harbaugh is in his 5th year so it is his kids and coaches.

There should be no reason Michigan is stuck at 10-3.
Until we can pay recruits the wealth of the college is irrelevant.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has a better record than everyone in the B10 since Harbaugh came on...except OSU. So the team that pulls in the 2nd most talent is also second in terms of wins. Seems pretty consistent if you ask me.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has a better record than everyone in the B10 since Harbaugh came on...except OSU. So the team that pulls in the 2nd most talent is also second in terms of wins. Seems pretty consistent if you ask me.

Ahem.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the team with the second most talent has only finished 2nd in the division once in five years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"meeeechegan has a better record than everyone in the B10 since Harbaugh came on...except OSU"

You're so full of shit. Seriously just stop your neverending homerism. Harbaugh got to ann arbor in 2015.

Wisconsin's record since 2015: 52-14

Penn State's record since 2015: 48-17

meeeechegan's record since 2015: 47-17

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"meeeechegan has a better record than everyone in the B10 since Harbaugh came on...except OSU"

You're so full of shit. Seriously just stop your never ending homerism. Harbaugh got to ann arbor in 2015.

Wisconsin's record since 2015: 52-14

Penn State's record since 2015: 48-17

meeeechegan's record since 2015: 47-17

In Big Ten play only

Chryst 34-10
Franklin 32-12
Michigan 32-12

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Big Ten play only

Chryst 34-10
Franklin 32-12
Michigan 32-12

He made no mention of that in the comment I quoted. If he meant conference play only he should have said that.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made no mention of that in the comment I quoted. If he meant conference play only he should have said that.

I took that the first part of his statement "meeeechegan has a better record than everyone in the B10" to indicate Big Ten play, so I just wanted to eliminate that out.

Not an Eng Lit major

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took that the first part of his statement "meeeechegan has a better record than everyone in the B10" to indicate Big Ten play, so I just wanted to eliminate that out.

I took the first part of his comment as meaning total record. Of course now that I've said something to him he'll claim he meant in-conference only. But even if he meant in-conference only he was still wrong.

Reactions: gob

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took the first part of his comment as meaning total record. Of course now that I've said something to him he'll claim he meant in-conference only. But even if he meant in-conference only he was still wrong.

That's what I meant by eliminating his out.