• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get what the pay has to do with anything. If we were paying him a million bucks a year instead of 9, would you still not trash him?
I wouldn't trash him at all in that case. He'd be one of the lowest-paid coaches in the nation, so how could you expect much from him? Instead, not only is he dramatically overpaid, but all of his shtick and SportsHoopla has just been nothing but an embarrassment. Knock it off with the antics, the offseason globetrotting, and the pathetic press conference nonsense. Focus on your program and deliver on what you should be delivering.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not including OSU, Harbaugh was 2-2 vs. other ranked teams this year. During the regular season last year, Harbaugh beat Northwestern (who won the west) and Penn State who finished top 20. Lost to ND and OSU in the regular season.

It's not like he does bad in the regular season vs. ranked teams who aren't named OSU.

Does he have a winning record vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State since he returned to ann arbor? Not just this year & last year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 28PPG is a bit skewed by you getting 20 garbage time points against our awful defense last year in the 4th quarter when we even had backups in, but I'll give you credit for this year. You did a good job and scored more than I thought you would.

That said, you guys have brought in plenty of big time talent on the defensive side of the ball in recent years. We had to hear all year last year about how dominant your defense was, and it was a dud. You've been complementary of our offense this year, and for good reason, but you have an established DC with plenty of vets on that side of the ball, and we've done whatever we want for the last two years. This still comes back to Harbaugh. It's his job to make sure his team is complete and he clearly doesn't know how to do it. He's been out-coached dramatically, including this year against the "high school coach" as you said it. That would be really, really upsetting to me as a fan if I knew we were paying this guy top 3 national coach money.
And I think a lot of that is on Brown and the system that he runs. Great developer for the NFL, bad in games against elite offenses as a whole defensive scheme.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read comment #3577

So his record vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State doesn't mean anything? I'm not singling out his losses to the Buckeyes. I'm wondering what his W/L record is vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State. My guess is it's at or below .500.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he can't beat OSU just like the coaches the previous decade before he arrived. And nobody in the B1G is beating OSU. OSU has lost 4 B1G regular season games since Meyer arrived. The program is in better shape now than it has been in over a decade. They were losing to Rutgers and Maryland before him.
He doesn't have to beat OSU every year. It's not even about OSU. It's getting slaughtered by a Wisconsin team who doesn't even remotely recruit on michigan's level. It's losing to Michigan State any year they have a remotely good team. It's not embarrassing yourselves in Bowl Games. And above all, it's act like a damn professional. You don't see elite coaches holding some huge all-star events on national signing days, climbing trees, having sleepovers, etc. Focus on making your team what - by all means in terms of resources - it should be, and not settling for 9-3.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have a winning record vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State since he returned to ann arbor? Not just this year & last year.
Probably not in terms of beating teams who finished the year ranked. I know in 2015 I think we went 0-3 on those. Then 2017 was a bad year as well. But we've had plenty of wins over ranked teams. In 2016, we had wins over both Wisconsin and Penn State; both finished ranked in the top 10.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So his record vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State doesn't mean anything? I'm not singling out his losses to the Buckeyes. I'm wondering what his W/L record is vs. ranked teams not named Ohio State. My guess is it's at or below .500.

Idk. Honestly didn't read your original comment. Which is why I responded with what is did.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't have to beat OSU every year. It's not even about OSU. It's getting slaughtered by a Wisconsin team who doesn't even remotely recruit on michigan's level. It's losing to Michigan State any year they have a remotely good team. It's not embarrassing yourselves in Bowl Games. And above all, it's act like a damn professional. You don't see elite coaches holding some huge all-star events on national signing days, climbing trees, having sleepovers, etc. Focus on making your team what - by all means in terms of resources - it should be, and not settling for 9-3.

Harbaugh is definitely an asshole, no doubt there. I don't like him. I'm just saying, which is a fact, that the program is in a better place now than when be he took over. Michigan is a 9/10 win team in the current landscape of college football. Every 3/4 years they can make a run at the CFP if everything falls into place, and if they didn't have to deal with OSU.

Everyone wants to bash Harbaugh, which fine, I'm all for that and don't like him but or Michigan, but who can they bring in that will be better? What if they hire another Hoke and start losing to the likes of MD and Rutgers again? Lol

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is definitely an asshole, no doubt there. I don't like him. I'm just saying, which is a fact, that the program is in a better place now than when be he took over. Michigan is a 9/10 win team in the current landscape of college football. Every 3/4 years they can make a run at the CFP if everything falls into place, and if they didn't have to deal with OSU.

Everyone wants to bash Harbaugh, which fine, I'm all for that and don't like him but or Michigan, but who can they bring in that will be better? What if they hire another Hoke and start losing to the likes of MD and Rutgers again? Lol
Being better than when he took over is not an amazing accomplishment. They were a joke. Harbaugh wasn't brought in to, after 5 years, just be better than when he took over. They're supposed to be a top-tier program, and he's paid as such. Very few, if any, programs have the resources he has. He could tell the school he needs a gold-plated private jet and I bet it would get done.

Here's a thought - you're michigan. Hiring Hoke was obviously a massive mistake, not one they should be off the hook for. What reason could there possibly be for michigan to not be able to get an elite coach? I'm not saying they can go grab Dabo or Saban, but it's not like Harbaugh is the end all/be all.

How many years does he get delivering above average/decently good results before they start to realize they're wasting $9m a year? There are guys getting paid half as much with nowhere near the resources or recruiting capacity that are doing more.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there any other coach where we have to ignore the best team that they play when considering their stats? I don’t know if there is one.

Last edited:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being better than when he took over is not an amazing accomplishment. They were a joke. Harbaugh wasn't brought in to, after 5 years, just be better than when he took over. They're supposed to be a top-tier program, and he's paid as such. Very few, if any, programs have the resources he has. He could tell the school he needs a gold-plated private jet and I bet it would get done.

Here's a thought - you're michigan. Hiring Hoke was obviously a massive mistake, not one they should be off the hook for. What reason could there possibly be for michigan to not be able to get an elite coach? I'm not saying they can go grab Dabo or Saban, but it's not like Harbaugh is the end all/be all.

How many years does he get delivering above average/decently good results before they start to realize they're wasting $9m a year? There are guys getting paid half as much with nowhere near the resources or recruiting capacity that are doing more.

They aren't a top tier program though. They are a 9/10 win program. They aren't Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, LSU, UGA etc.

I'm just wondering who they can get that is better? Like give me some candidates? It's easy to say they should get someone else until you look at who is available.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren't a top tier program though. They are a 9/10 win program. They aren't Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, LSU, UGA etc.

I'm just wondering who they can get that is better? Like give me some candidates? It's easy to say they should get someone else until you look at who is available.
But why? What are they lacking?

Resources? Check.
History? Check.
Academics? Check.
Trendy apparel contract? Check.
Amazing facilities? Check.
Play in a top-tier P5 division? Check.

It doesn't matter who is available right now. Teams with the money and resources michigan have can make guys available. Examples -
Mike Norvell from Memphis
Matt Ruhle from Baylor
Bryan Harsin from Boise State

You gonna tell me michigan couldn't lure any of these guys away? They're all doing amazing things with much, much less than what michigan can offer. This isn't even counting any top-end coordinators in the country.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But why? What are they lacking?

Resources? Check.
History? Check.
Academics? Check.
Trendy apparel contract? Check.
Amazing facilities? Check.
Play in a top-tier P5 division? Check.

It doesn't matter who is available right now. Teams with the money and resources michigan have can make guys available. Examples -
Mike Norvell from Memphis
Matt Ruhle from Baylor
Bryan Harsin from Boise State

You gonna tell me michigan couldn't lure any of these guys away? They're all doing amazing things with much, much less than what michigan can offer. This isn't even counting any top-end coordinators in the country.

History doesn't mean anything to kids these days. Academics only applies to probably 20% of the players choosing a college. Honestly, having higher academic standards is probably detrimental. The other 4 you listed is the same for 20+ other programs.

In the last 30 years Michigan is 11th in winning percentage. They haven't been a top 5-8 program since Bo, and even he didn't win a title.

So is Michigan going to pay 10/11 million for one of those guys? That'd be absurd given they don't have the track record Harbaugh did when he came to Michigan.

Either way it's a gamble IMO to bring in a new HC. Odds are the new HC will be the same or do worse, given the trajectory of the program.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely a scary thought when you see what has happened with some other programs after firing good but not elite coaches. I remember being a nervous wreck with the Tressel hire. I was nervous with Day too but felt better bc of how well Urban had been recruiting.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harbaugh is a good coach. And I think we have to pay him that because it's what he'd get in the NFL, yes even now. I think if we hired someone else, we would be worse. What Harbaugh is struggling with here is what any coach would and we need to find a way to overcome it. We're on par with Notre Dame in terms of talent, and that back and forth between us and them shows it. We're not on par with the talent at OSU or any of the super elite programs right now. Clemson currently has more five stars committed in the 2020 class than Michigan has pulled in since Harbaugh got here. OSU has 8 top 100 kids in the 2020 class, Michigan currently has 1. If we want to beat OSU, it's not our coaching that needs to change it's recruiting.

What I read here are excuses.

You have a top paid coach, you have a fan base that has money, a university that has great facility for the athletes.

Harbaugh is in his 5th year so it is his kids and coaches.

There should be no reason Michigan is stuck at 10-3.