• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The bad news about getting Lattimore

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baalke takes the BPA for a position he feels he will have to fill in the next 2 years.

This season
Patton to replace Crabtree if he leaves
Tank to replace Smith when he retires
Lemomier to replace Haralson and maybe take over for Brooks
Lattimore to take over for Gore

Last season
AJ Jenkins to take over for Ginn
James to take over for Dixon who was playing very bad
Looney was to replace Snyder
Robinson was to replace Goldson ended up replacing Reggie Smith will back up Reid
Cam Johnson and Fleming replaced Constanzo

I also think he likes to take prospects that are great except in several areas by are also very poor in others (mainly health) and then either rehabs them in case of health or coaches them up in terms of bad traits. Or moves them to a totally different position.

Players drafted with injury concerns in last 2 years:
AJ Jenkins - Too Small will not be able to take big hits
LaMichael James - too small, dislocated elbow in college
Joe Looney - Ankle injury couldn't do combine or proday
Trenton Robinson - too small will be Bob Sanders and get hurt a lot (second round talent, but 6 round body size)
Cam Johnson - needed Knee surgery
Tank - ACL surgery
Lattimore - both knees f'd up

Players moved to new positions
Bruce Miller OLB to FB
Kilgore from OT to C/G
Fleming from OLB to ILB
Moody from S to ILB
Culliver from FS to CB
BJ Daniels from QB to swiss army knife
Navarro Bowman from OLB to ILB

My thought is he is looking for diamonds in the rough who need to be polished into gems. He believes with this coaching staff he can make gems.

If you notice a lot of the players he does draft are players who fell in the draft.

This year I expect to see some of last years draft get much more playing time and this years draft class to get hardly any. Only 2 spots I see getting lots of play time are Reid and McDonald. The rest will be backups and learn.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not agree that he focuses strongly on need in the first three rounds though. This year it can be argued, but look at what he did previously.

He does have a tendency to fall in love with players at our primary need position in the first round. That is true. But look at the Bowman and James picks in previous years. The Carradine pick also showed that he is more value conscience as he was willing to trade back and risk losing the top d-line player on the board in place of getting the value of a future pick.

:agree: I think Baalke looks at our needs and finds a guy he loves at that position and if he thinks that player may not be at our pick he goes & get them. He probably loses out on value in the trade (4th for Davis) (3rd for Reid) but can we argue his success rate? Also he works other GMs during the offseason to get extra picks & the way he works the comp pick system has been masterful so far. I did not like the Reid pick at 18 but that unhappiness washes away with Tank at 40 Patton & Lattimore in the 4th Lemonier in the 5th so all in all I am happy with what he is doing in the FO

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, he loves to trade for picks for the next year. He has 10 picks without any compensatory picks. And, there are sure to be players on this team who are good enough to make other teams better that are expendable on the 9ers who will be traded for picks like Collin Jones last season. I can see Dixon traded to a team who needs a 3ed back and a special team player. I can see McBath or Cox traded too. And maybe even Tolzien for BJ Daniels pans out.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I do not agree that he focuses strongly on need in the first three rounds though. This year it can be argued, but look at what he did previously.

He does have a tendency to fall in love with players at our primary need position in the first round. That is true. But look at the Bowman and James picks in previous years. The Carradine pick also showed that he is more value conscience as he was willing to trade back and risk losing the top d-line player on the board in place of getting the value of a future pick.

As said, I think it's a mix. All of his first round picks have addressed a need. Bowman was a third-round comp pick, presented value, and was something of a need given Spikes' age. Carradine addresses a major need. Even James addressed a need as many don't think Hunter can be an every down back. Every pick could conceivably address a need, and there will almost always be some value in a high pick. I just think Baalke is somewhat more needs-driven than, say, Deep does apparently.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, he loves to trade for picks for the next year. He has 10 picks without any compensatory picks. And, there are sure to be players on this team who are good enough to make other teams better that are expendable on the 9ers who will be traded for picks like Collin Jones last season. I can see Dixon traded to a team who needs a 3ed back and a special team player. I can see McBath or Cox traded too. And maybe even Tolzien for BJ Daniels pans out.

I would agree with this. I would also say that we would have to go back to the Walsh years to find a GM that was able to consistently trade our marginal talent for future picks.