• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 8-8-8 NFL Draft : CHAT

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I get not liking basketball but for the life of me cannot see how someone can watch college then pro and think "that college ball is so much better"

I only watch march madness... and yes that is better than anything and everything the nba throws out... Know why??

If I bet you today that Duke will not win the Tournament, would you take that bet??

If I bet you Today that the Warriors will not win the NBA championship, would you take that bet??

Id feel much more confident in Duke not winning the championship than the Warriors...

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I get not liking basketball but for the life of me cannot see how someone can watch college then pro and think "that college ball is so much better"
I feel bad for any basketball fan that didn't get a chance to watch hoop in the 80s. BOTH NCAA and NBA were incredible - tough to choose one over the other. Those days are long gone though and I can definitely understand people not being a fan of the current product at either level. I definitely still am but nowhere near to the extent I was as a kid

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for any basketball fan that didn't get a chance to watch hoop in the 80s. BOTH NCAA and NBA were incredible - tough to choose one over the other. Those days are long gone though and I can definitely understand people not being a fan of the current product at either level. I definitely still am but nowhere near to the extent I was as a kid
I'm young so I don't really get this at all. How is watching guys post up, play at a slow pace and clog up the paint with no spacing more exciting than the way they play the game today?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point of that clip was the travel not the 3-pointer lol

I thought the point of the clip was the lack of the pass when there was such an easy basket to be had...

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last five years I feel like the product of the game has suffered in college. You have the occasional year like in 15 where you had some legit super teams but most of these teams would get boatraced by the best teams of the 90's or even the Gators from the mid 2000's. Just no stability and seniority

That's why a team like Nova can win 2 of three. They have it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the point of that clip was the travel not the 3-pointer lol

50/50 call. Textbook yes but I guess I look at traveling as a spirit of the rule deal.

I saw it as bad transition hoops and taking the three without kicking it inside there first at least.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last five years I feel like the product of the game has suffered in college. You have the occasional year like in 15 where you had some legit super teams but most of these teams would get boatraced by the best teams of the 90's or even the Gators from the mid 2000's. Just no stability and seniority

That's why a team like Nova can win 2 of three. They have it.

Who cares?? the beauty of march madness is that anyone can get upset... and usually does... sure the favorite has won before, and often... but still

Pack 500

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,380.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50/50 call. Textbook yes but I guess I look at traveling as a spirit of the rule deal.

I saw it as bad transition hoops and taking the three without kicking it inside there first at least.
As somebody who actually suffered through those Knicks teams as a fan any 3 by Carmelo is better than giving it to Kevin Seraphin :suds:

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm young so I don't really get this at all. How is watching guys post up, play at a slow pace and clog up the paint with no spacing more exciting than the way they play the game today?
Because it wasn't just that at all. And in college you had all the players staying 3 or 4 years so the player rivalries had time to develop and the level of competition was much greater. I was a Georgetown fan so getting to see Ewing & co go up against Mullin and St. John's was awesome, plus you had the Pearl at Syracuse. Those game atmospheres were much more intense than they are today, I'd say especially in the Big East. And what's so bad about watching dominant post players? What's so great about watching teams chuck up 50 3's? Exciting is exciting....as long as the quality of talent on the court is high I don't really care how the points get scored personally. I can remember TONS of games where Georgetown had 50 or 60 points by halftime. Look at the scores of the NBA from the early to mid 80s....they averaged a bunch more than the games today. You don't think they were playing up and down the court?

At end of day I may be biased as I grew up in the northeast where the Big East was king and I was a Celtics fan so I got to fully enjoy the Celtics/Lakers rivalry. The tension and excitement before those games is tough to describe if you didn't live thru it, and then the product lived up to the hype. Maybe I would feel differently if I grew up a fan of a franchise that wasn't in the mix, but it seems like when it was Boston/LA, EVERYONE was paying attention and picking a side no matter if you were for that team or not.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't say it's better but it's a lot more fun to watch.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares?? the beauty of march madness is that anyone can get upset... and usually does... sure the favorite has won before, and often... but still

The tournament itself is awesome

But the regular season is hard to follow I guess

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should make the court bigger like as big as a soccer field! Then maybe I would watch one game a year.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love today's NBA and it's much closer to the 80's than the 90's imo.

The league had to do something to free up the game it was getting too bogged down by the same kind of ridiculous defense that Pitino teams employ (can't call all the fouls)

I kind of miss the chess match in the paint you had but the way the teams adjusted make it impossible to go back to it.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it wasn't just that at all. And in college you had all the players staying 3 or 4 years so the player rivalries had time to develop and the level of competition was much greater. I was a Georgetown fan so getting to see Ewing & co go up against Mullin and St. John's was awesome, plus you had the Pearl at Syracuse. Those game atmospheres were much more intense than they are today, I'd say especially in the Big East. And what's so bad about watching dominant post players? What's so great about watching teams chuck up 50 3's? Exciting is exciting....as long as the quality of talent on the court is high I don't really care how the points get scored personally. I can remember TONS of games where Georgetown had 50 or 60 points by halftime. Look at the scores of the NBA from the early to mid 80s....they averaged a bunch more than the games today. You don't think they were playing up and down the court?

At end of day I may be biased as I grew up in the northeast where the Big East was king and I was a Celtics fan so I got to fully enjoy the Celtics/Lakers rivalry. The tension and excitement before those games is tough to describe if you didn't live thru it, and then the product lived up to the hype. Maybe I would feel differently if I grew up a fan of a franchise that wasn't in the mix, but it seems like when it was Boston/LA, EVERYONE was paying attention and picking a side no matter if you were for that team or not.

I agree with a lot of what you said there but the scoring in the NBA these past couple years is finally catching up with the 80's.

College is not even close. But again I feel like defensive strategy outpaces what an offense can do. There aren't a lot of guys as a freshman and sophomore that can break down a good defense.

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you said there but the scoring in the NBA these past couple years is finally catching up with the 80's.

College is not even close.
right it definitely is for the reasons you stated in your above post. Still you had some teams like the Nuggets putting up absolutely ridiculous numbers back then that we may or may not see again. They had something like 80 straight games over 100 points. I just think overall that the NBA/NCAA is in a weird place right now where money and player's concerns for their legacies has really taken over. On an individual basis, the players today are more talented, more athletic, and better defensively than they've ever been, which is why you need these special rules to open up the game. But for me, that's not the way to judge an era vs another era - its more about the feeling and excitement that surrounded the sport than the individual talent out there. They call the 80's the Golden Era for a reason, and its not about the talent level.

Mookie

Hoopla Cash
$ 74,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up a hardcore hoop fan but even I have a hard time getting into regular season anymore unless its a marquee game for the Gators or I'm watching someone like Zion Williamson play. Same deal for the NBA...unless its a marquee matchup I have much better things to do until the playoffs