• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant has started his countdown of the top 21 prospects. So far he has:

31 Cam Cauley
30 Cody Bradford

I don't really agree with either one. Cauley shouldn't be that high and Bradford should be higher.

He had this to say about Bradford:

Who he is: Bradford, the valedictorian of Aledo’s 2016 graduating class, was the Rangers’ sixth round choice out of Baylor in 2019. He was the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year as a sophomore, but pitched in only three games as a junior before undergoing Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. The Rangers bought him out of going back for a healthy senior season with a $700,000 above-slot bonus. He began 2022 as our No. 28 prospect.

Why he’s here: He missed the first two seasons after being drafted recovering from surgery and then due to the pandemic, but since has been perhaps the best strike-thrower in the system. In 215 professional innings, he has a 4.7 strikeout-to-walk rate. The K-to-BB rate was a stat that figured prominently in the Rangers’ offseason free agency strategy. His fastball is just average in terms of velocity (88-93 mph) but pure velocity isn’t everything. It plays up some because of his elite extension and he’s got some deception in his delivery.

What’s his future: Because he doesn’t have the profile of a high draft pick or the velocity that lights up radar guns, Bradford can go a little bit under the radar, especially in a system becoming truly deep in starting pitching. But his last 10 starts at Frisco last year stuck out: He held hitters to a .180 average and .566 OPS and struck out 29.3 percent of the hitters he faced. He is a non-roster invitee to big league camp this spring, getting some exposure as a potential depth option for 2023.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bubba in LF. Maybe he does get to compete in a platoon
He should be, but it is hard to see them pay to bring Grossman in to hit against lefties and not give him the righ-handed at bats. That is one of the reasons why I hope Bubba can start in CF instead of Leody.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan Grant has started his countdown of the top 21 prospects. So far he has:

31 Cam Cauley
30 Cody Bradford

I don't really agree with either one. Cauley shouldn't be that high and Bradford should be higher.

He had this to say about Bradford:

Who he is: Bradford, the valedictorian of Aledo’s 2016 graduating class, was the Rangers’ sixth round choice out of Baylor in 2019. He was the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year as a sophomore, but pitched in only three games as a junior before undergoing Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. The Rangers bought him out of going back for a healthy senior season with a $700,000 above-slot bonus. He began 2022 as our No. 28 prospect.

Why he’s here: He missed the first two seasons after being drafted recovering from surgery and then due to the pandemic, but since has been perhaps the best strike-thrower in the system. In 215 professional innings, he has a 4.7 strikeout-to-walk rate. The K-to-BB rate was a stat that figured prominently in the Rangers’ offseason free agency strategy. His fastball is just average in terms of velocity (88-93 mph) but pure velocity isn’t everything. It plays up some because of his elite extension and he’s got some deception in his delivery.

What’s his future: Because he doesn’t have the profile of a high draft pick or the velocity that lights up radar guns, Bradford can go a little bit under the radar, especially in a system becoming truly deep in starting pitching. But his last 10 starts at Frisco last year stuck out: He held hitters to a .180 average and .566 OPS and struck out 29.3 percent of the hitters he faced. He is a non-roster invitee to big league camp this spring, getting some exposure as a potential depth option for 2023.
That should have said "the top 31 prospects." Lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy Texas Independence Day to all of my fellow Texans!!!

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive outing from Dane Dunning.

Screenshot_20230302-150140_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impressive outing from Dane Dunning.

View attachment 322438
Not a big dunning fan to be honest.

I think we should have received a prospect that’s further along or making more of an impact considering what we gave up.

fuck it…..I’m glad JD is gone. We got screwed on the Darvish and the Lynn trade.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lucas Jacobsen is going to make this team. I have heard good things about him this spring and he had another good inning today.

Watch out for Fernery Ozuna too.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lucas Jacobsen is going to make this team. I have heard good things about him this spring and he had another good inning today.

Watch out for Fernery Ozuna too.
I think Odorizzi may start on IL. Kings spot is in jeopardy

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big dunning fan to be honest.

I think we should have received a prospect that’s further along or making more of an impact considering what we gave up.

fuck it…..I’m glad JD is gone. We got screwed on the Darvish and the Lynn trade.

better to look forward than backwards

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trevor Hauver os Evan Grant's #29 Rangers prospect. Here is what he had to say about Hauver, who he calls an analytical darling.

No. 29 OF Trevor Hauver

Height, weight: 6-0, 205

B-T: L-R

Who he is: Hauver, the New York Yankees’ third-round pick in 2020 (99th overall) out of Arizona State, is the “other guy,” the Rangers got in the Joey Gallo trade in 2021. Josh Smith, Glenn Otto and Ezequiel Duran have all appeared in the majors. Hauver, who began 2022 as our No. 30 prospect, has not played above Double-A.

Why he’s here: He is an analytical darling based on a combination of elite strike zone discipline and legitimate power. He’s hit just .247 in 688 at-bats as a professional but has an .852 OPS. A year ago, he had a 20.8 percent walk rate, fourth highest among all minor leaguers with at least 400 plate appearances. When he does make contact, it’s hard. He’s hit 32 homers in those 688 pro at-bats and his exit velocities delight the EV crowd. He’s a true outcomes kind of guy.

What’s his future: A year ago, we comped him to more of a Willie Calhoun/Nick Solak type because he was a hitter without a real position. But the Rangers feel he’s made some progress in the outfield as he’s settled there in the last year. He even got a bit of time at first base, too. After starting the season at Hickory and finishing it at Frisco, Hauver went on to play 16 games in the Arizona Fall League.

Where he will start ‘23: He had only 21 games at Frisco last year. He will go back there to begin the year in a prospect-laden outfield.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson had this on Dane Dunning:

Things got much better Thursday for right-hander Dane Dunning, who was down 1-0 after one Milwaukee batter. It was Christian Yelich, who connected for his first spring home run.

That was the only damage against Dunning, who allowed just two more hits over three innings and struck out five.

“I’ve been working on some mechanical things,” he said. “But I threw that out the window today and was just trying to find my rhythm and timing and tempo.”

Dunning also came to realize that the pitch clock isn’t as fast as it might seem. He said that he wore himself out in his first outing trying to beat the clock, and the result was allowing five runs in 1 1/3 innings.

He took his time, at least within the confines of 15 and 20 seconds, against the Brewers.

“I feel like you have a lot more time than you think,” Dunning said.

Dunning is a candidate for the bullpen, but the Rangers are stretching him out to be a starter in case they want him to serve as rotation depth at Triple A Round Rock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan reports that Bochy is planning on Josh Smith getting in at least 3 games at 1B this spring.

From Evan:

“You are trying to get more versatility, more flexibility with these guys on the bench,” he(Bochy) said. “They become more valuable to you. You have to be prepared for anything. He’s the kind of guy that helps you be prepared for that. He’s our best option when you look at the role players we have.”

But the swing needed work.

Which is why Thursday constituted a significant day for him. He did what the Rangers want in a 6-4 win over Milwaukee at American Family Fields. He got on base and he showed signs of being able to hit a ball the opposite way. He took his fourth walk of the spring and later had a run-scoring line-drive single to left off a lefty. According to MLB’s Statcast system, Smith had exactly one ball that qualified as a line drive off a lefty last year. It came in his final at-bat off the season. He hit .118 for 42 plate appearances against lefties.