• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely isn’t good.

But I would label it as passive more than terrible.

Scout surely says he can give Paul Reed some space at the 3 point line, so he did that.

He is playing under to be in position to stop the drive after the anticipated dribble hand off, and Paul Reed took advantage of the space to make a good play.
Ok... I won't quibble over the semantics of it... IMO, it's pretty obviously losing strategy when Maxey is buzzing around Reed like that.

I get that Reed is a non-shooter, but you press up on him a little there because you'd also rather Reed possibly driving than Maxey almost certainly getting the ball in great position to score. If Maxey gets the ball after that, you worry more about him than Reed (obviously)... even to the point of trapping him.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... I won't quibble over the semantics of it... IMO, it's pretty obviously losing strategy when Maxey is buzzing around Reed like that.

I get that Reed is a non-shooter, but you press up on him a little there because you'd also rather Reed possibly driving than Maxey almost certainly getting the ball in great position to score. If Maxey gets the ball after that, you worry more about him than Reed (obviously)... even to the point of trapping him.
Seems like what you’re calling for is for the 5 to blitz Reed and force him to make the play getting the ball to Maxey without turning it over. That’s a riskier option because the defense is broken down for Maxey if Reed can get the ball to him. I use that play if this is Embiid but not BBall Paul. If I’m the defense I don’t give him that special attention and instead play straight up. Maxey is the real threat here.

On another note, watching this play I’m reminded of how the Harden acquisition allowed Maxey to grow being able to play off ball like this. This is some savvy work by him toying with the defender through DHO action.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like what you’re calling for is for the 5 to blitz Reed and force him to make the play getting the ball to Maxey without turning it over. That’s a riskier option because the defense is broken down for Maxey if Reed can get the ball to him. I use that play if this is Embiid but not BBall Paul. If I’m the defense I don’t give him that special attention and instead play straight up. Maxey is the real threat here.
I completely agree that Maxey is the real threat.

That's the basis of my reasoning... not to have an easy exchange to him in a spot where he either gets an open shot or (if the defender jumps at that) an easy drive against a 5 who is in no-mans-land.

Gotta do something to disrupt that flow... it is risky to apply a little more pressure but (in this case) it's riskier not to.
On another note, watching this play I’m reminded of how the Harden acquisition allowed Maxey to grow being able to play off ball like this. This is some savvy work by him toying with the defender through DHO action.
Maxey is a great offensive weapon... he is obviously a worker and has gotten better every year.

He has developed a solid outside shot, so it's next to impossible to keep him from driving... you just gotta have some shot-blocking options around to make it somewhat less comfortable for him and hope for the best after that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree that Maxey is the real threat.

That's the basis of my reasoning... not to have an easy exchange to him in a spot where he either gets an open shot or (if the defender jumps at that) an easy drive against a 5 who is in no-mans-land.

Gotta do something to disrupt that flow... it is risky to apply a little more pressure but (in this case) it's riskier not to.

Maxey is a great offensive weapon... he is obviously a worker and has gotten better every year.

He has developed a solid outside shot, so it's next to impossible to keep him from driving... you just gotta have some shot-blocking options around to make it somewhat less comfortable for him and hope for the best after that.
The night he was drafted, I did a deep dive on Maxey reading as much about him as I can and one thing stood out. John Calipari called him the best overall offensive talent he ever coached. He said the kid’s knack for seeing the game at that end and being able to execute was off the charts. Cal has had a shit ton of dudes so that caught my attention.

The way to play Maxey now is to be physical with him. For whatever reason, Maxey isn’t given a fair whistle despite being a 26 PPG game and likely All Star. Best example of this was the other night vs the Heat. They were getting physical with him even in the back court daring the officials to blow every play and bring the game to a halt with constant foul calls. This is especially worrisome come playoff time as the games ratchet up with physicality. The adjustment is to give him help on screens from players being covered by a defender who is slow of foot and having Maxey use his speed. You can’t bump what you can’t catch.

And oh shit! Look where I am again! BBall Paul is going to catch an assignment like that when you have Maxey/Embiid on the court and he is arguably the best screener on the team.

Pretty much FFB Hearts BBall Paul is the theme of the day haha.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That last paragraph….

If only someone in this group had said something like that before….

They’d probably be a pretty smart bro…

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That last paragraph….

If only someone in this group had said something like that before….

They’d probably be a pretty smart bro…
Tip of the cap to you.

I’ll own that I was worried about Maxey the playmaker. I just wasn’t creative enough in my thinking. Playmaking doesn’t necessarily need to come in the traditional PG way. The multiplicity of options in the Maxey/Embiid two man game in and of itself creates playmaking through decision making. Maxey and Embiid have put in the work to make that stuff as effective as it is. I still think that they have room to grow around it. At the same time, Sixers are 22nd in the league on percentage of assists on made FGs. I want to see that number much higher especially in a system predicated on sharing the ball.

Selfishly, I’m getting impatient because I want to see what they add to this group.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments here are pretty fun.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,116.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tip of the cap to you.

I’ll own that I was worried about Maxey the playmaker. I just wasn’t creative enough in my thinking. Playmaking doesn’t necessarily need to come in the traditional PG way. The multiplicity of options in the Maxey/Embiid two man game in and of itself creates playmaking through decision making. Maxey and Embiid have put in the work to make that stuff as effective as it is. I still think that they have room to grow around it. At the same time, Sixers are 22nd in the league on percentage of assists on made FGs. I want to see that number much higher especially in a system predicated on sharing the ball.

Selfishly, I’m getting impatient because I want to see what they add to this group.
You sure were.

I was 1 of the people telling you Maxey would be just fine....and a stud on the court.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tip of the cap to you.

They are one of the more interesting teams with 6 weeks before the deadline

Chi/atl/tor all expensive and floundering. What will each do with their core guys getting more expensive

Philly- who do they get or do they wait?

GS- what track are they on? Stubbornly buy? Sell? Buy for next year using Paul’s expiring deal? Ride it out and let Paul and klay walk to reset their tax? Lots of options

Lakers- they have one big move left in them?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are one of the more interesting teams with 6 weeks before the deadline

Chi/atl/tor all expensive and floundering. What will each do with their core guys getting more expensive

Philly- who do they get or do they wait?

GS- what track are they on? Stubbornly buy? Sell? Buy for next year using Paul’s expiring deal? Ride it out and let Paul and klay walk to reset their tax? Lots of options

Lakers- they have one big move left in them?
What about this guy for the Lakers?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about this guy for the Lakers?

A guy id look at as Philly if you can’t land a star is deandre hunter

Fun two way guy who can be Harris like for almost half the cost

But he’s versatile enough to play with Harris

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not sure what Philly would get back

Would need at least 1 other team
I like Rui as a Tobias replacement but would likely need a third team.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy id look at as Philly if you can’t land a star is deandre hunter

Fun two way guy who can be Harris like for almost half the cost

But he’s versatile enough to play with Harris
I really like Deandre Hunter and he’s from the Philly area. He’s the kind of piece I think Sixers should be looking at as their 3rd guy around Embiid/Maxey

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Deandre Hunter and he’s from the Philly area. He’s the kind of piece I think Sixers should be looking at as their 3rd guy around Embiid/Maxey

If I was Philly I’d be redirecting cov and others

Let Harris and hunter be your 3/4 and be pretty interchangeable

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. I’m talking about Harden KD Magic Bird Kobe Shaq Russ…most MVPs have to be at that MVP level for a few years before the voters grant them the award. Those guys were the first two I could think of that had a season where they just blew up in the public eye and were given the award without establishing years of MVP caliber play.
Oh, yeah.

I agree.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news is... the future isn't as bad as this years record indicates. Cunningham and Ivey are real pieces. Duran seems like another good, young body.

Basically, most of the rest of the roster needs to get cleared out... and then you add in another top draft pick and some role bodies...

Detroit could easily be a fringe playoff team starting next year.
I honestly thought they had a chance for the play in this year.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You could likely get hunter and bog out of atl

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you get rui you might as we get hunter too and just get your big spacey wings
If they go Hunter then no need to do the Lakers. If Atlanta is doing this, they’re looking for a rebuild. Tobias Harris gives them a quick way to clear $40 million in cap. If the Hawks want an extra first to make it 3, I would do this.

IMG_3819.png

If the Sixers do this, I don’t care that they won’t have cap space this summer because I think they’re all set from here.

Maxey
Murray
Hunter
Batum
Embiid

Bench is Bev Melton Oubre RoCo/Morris BBall Paul

They can still have the midlevel exception this summer and they can do Bird rights on Melton and Batum.