• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted this in the post trade deadline power rankings thread. Here are my power ratings going into playoffs.

So here’s what I’m thinking going into the playoffs:
East
1. Celtics
2. Sixers
3. Bucks (if Giannis is healthy)
4. Knicks (if OG is healthy)
5. Pacers
6. Cavs
7. Heat
8. Orlando
9. Hawks
10. Bulls

West:
1. Nuggets
2. T’Wolves
3. Thunder
4. Mavs
5. Clippers
6. Suns
7. Lakers
8. Warriors
9. Pelicans
10. Kings
drop the Cavs- Mitchell cant jump or cut and Garland is lost right now.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw a graphic where Giannis has had multiple injuries to the same leg for the last few months. If I'm the Bucks, I strongly consider sitting him out the rest of the year including the playoffs. That kind of injury history within such a short time frame almost always leads to a catastrophic injury. He's either gonna pop his Achilles, tear a calf or tear a hamstring. The way the Bucks have played this year, they are likely a 1st round exit anyway, 2nd round at best. I sit him instead of running the risk of playing him, having him get hurt worse and end up missing next year

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a graphic where Giannis has had multiple injuries to the same leg for the last few months. If I'm the Bucks, I strongly consider sitting him out the rest of the year including the playoffs. That kind of injury history within such a short time frame almost always leads to a catastrophic injury. He's either gonna pop his Achilles, tear a calf or tear a hamstring. The way the Bucks have played this year, they are likely a 1st round exit anyway, 2nd round at best. I sit him instead of running the risk of playing him, having him get hurt worse and end up missing next year
Like I said in another post, this feels exactly like the KD thing a few years ago.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic option seems most likely if the Heat can handle business which is a big question mark

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve been hypercritical of the Sixers player development. I was just talking about this the other day. Most glaring example is Ben Simmons. Don’t look now but the Mobley story is Simmons-esque. Guy comes in as a rookie and is a ROTY candidate (he actually won) and takes the league by storm. Meanwhile, he never gets better as a Sixer from the 16/8/8 guy he was. He never took his game to the next level commensurate with his abilities. In the Simmons case, it was equal parts Simmons and Sixers organization at fault. In Mobley’s case, (and this is good for you) its been mostly Bickerstaff and the Cavs under utilizing him.
That's cool.....accept he kind of has improved and continues to keep doing more for the team. some of this is on him, as he needs to be more aggressive and it seems like there are times he is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only talking about the player development side more so than fit.
I do agree those are some good options but JB - while certainly nothing special - has done some decent work as far as player development. Or at least his coaches have.

Garland went from one of the worst players as a rookie to an all star and had a similar season to his all star year the following year despite adding that growth stunter. he is struggling this year and, yes, some of that is JB as the new system more tailored to DM than DG as it should be..........Allen went from a role player to at worse a borderline all star and elite defender.........Mitchell is having his best seasons here so far........Wade has gone from a nobody to a guy who is among most of our top 3, 4 and 5 man groupings........Merrill has gone from a guy no one gave a chance to a guy who plays well enough for fans here to cry he does not play enough............they also cry about the undrafted Porter not playing enough.

again, JB nothing special and if we go down in round 1 good chance he is gone. will help of course if Mitchell shows up as that matters more than anything the coach can do. If he does go? I think I'd rather bring in a young newbie than a fired retread, though I guess Bud might be interesting with this group and their D.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never ceases to amaze me how often good teams don’t get up a decent shot when they are just waiting for the last shot.
Our fans usually blame Garland or JB for this (depending who they don't like more) but agree this is something I see all around the league. Even worse is we do it (as do others it seems) once it's tied or we have a slight lead with 4-5 minutes left. Dribble down the clock, get a bad shot. So frustrating.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have not posted much since the CAvs season has been such a roller coaster of shit and injuries.

Mitchell has 1 dunk since the new year. His knee is fucked. He still tries to dominate the ball and has not worked it out with Garland- who has had plenty of his own injuries including the fluke broken jaw.

It is a wasted year in my opinion. No one is on the same page. Everyone has been in and out of the lineup- and I dont like Bicketstaff anymore. I dont see them winning a round in the playoffs if Mitchell cant jump- which he cant.
No doubt like any good team how well their best player can play will matter quite a bit. Not sure what team who has meesed their best player AND 2-3 other starters for long stretches like we have has done so much better.

Frustrating season for sure.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted this in the post trade deadline power rankings thread. Here are my power ratings going into playoffs.

So here’s what I’m thinking going into the playoffs:
East
1. Celtics
2. Sixers
3. Bucks (if Giannis is healthy)
4. Knicks (if OG is healthy)
5. Pacers
6. Cavs
7. Heat
8. Orlando
9. Hawks
10. Bulls

West:
1. Nuggets
2. T’Wolves
3. Thunder
4. Mavs
5. Clippers
6. Suns
7. Lakers
8. Warriors
9. Pelicans
10. Kings
with Philly a 2 seems clear this is just how good you think a team is and has nothing to do with where they are as far as seed. If so, think I might put the Bucks with healthy G ahead of Philly but get that Doc factor might hurt so can see it how you have it. I think I would put Miami ahead of Indiana. If we are playing the what if game with injuries I put the Cavs at 4 with a healthy Mitchell. Maybe as low as 7 if playing but still not himself.

west looks about right to me.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not buying the "it's Hams fault" narrative. It's lazy.

Last season they struggled until Pelinka made deadline moves that changed an ill fitting roster and they got AD and Lebron healthy. Then made a run to the WCF. I don't recall many, if any, complaints about Ham then. In fact, if memory serves, he was being praised for keeping them in striking distance until Pelinka made the roster changes.

This year, AD and Lebron have been mostly healthy, but they've had important rotational players like Vando and Vincent (among others) miss significant time. Since the ASB, they have been mostly healthy and had, I believe, the 2nd best record since the ASB. But. AD got hurt early in the last game and missed last night.

It's almost like a team wins more games when they have a roster that fits and are healthy.

Not saying that Ham is great and hasn't/doesn't make mistakes. But injuries have had far more to do with their struggles than Ham.

Phil Jackson is one of the greatest coaches of all time...what did the Lakers do when they had him, Kobe and not much else?
I'd say in general the blame the coach narrative is often lazy. Hard to comment as much on LA as I don't watch them enough.

I mean, Nurse did not go from smart to dumb to smart again.....players matter. A lot.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Philly a 2 seems clear this is just how good you think a team is and has nothing to do with where they are as far as seed. If so, think I might put the Bucks with healthy G ahead of Philly but get that Doc factor might hurt so can see it how you have it. I think I would put Miami ahead of Indiana. If we are playing the what if game with injuries I put the Cavs at 4 with a healthy Mitchell. Maybe as low as 7 if playing but still not himself.

west looks about right to me.
Cavs are 10-17 after the All Star break and in their usual Bickerstaff end of the season tail spin.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are 10-17 after the All Star break and in their usual Bickerstaff end of the season tail spin.
Like your thoughts on Mobley those are just more opinions you cannot really back...in fact, one of them is factually incorrect. we ended last year 13-7 after the break in games we tried to win (rested starters most of the last game).

would have thought you would know injuries to top player or players might affect a team or a coach but guess not.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like your thoughts on Mobley those are just more opinions you cannot really back...in fact, one of them is factually incorrect. we ended last year 13-7 after the break in games we tried to win (rested starters most of the last game).

would have thought you would know injuries to top player or players might affect a team or a coach but guess not.
I’m a Sixers fan. Embiid has never been healthy for any playoff series and it’s not an excuse. Why would I then accept your excuse? Bickerstaff teams are 1-6 in playoff/ play in games. His teams peak early like this year’s 18-2 midseason mirage.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh yeah?