• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely is true. I have see years of it. No denying it. Now that Garland’s shot is off and right now is not the better distributor-he isn’t nearly as valuable. Things could change hopefully.
Did you watch down the stretch? They attack Garland. Put him on a switch. Garland puts his arm out then goes to the other man. He is a liability on defense whether the effort is there or not. He is also not the guy you want to take the last shot or in the clutch. I have numbers to back that up as well. Last night there was a lot of issues and at times Garland made the right play and limited TO’s. In the grand scheme, he works better overall without Mitchell on the floor.
He doesn’t need to go to the bench—he needs to play mainly with the second unit. He can start in the 1st. The sooner JB realizes this the better and it would not be ideal in crunch time to have Garland in the game. More suited for a floor spreader who can play defense. I have watched these Garland Cavs for a long time and the consistency is not there. I want go believe it will work but the eye test says otherwise.

Everyone always mentions, “despite Garland the defense is still elite” and I really don’t care. In crunch time basketball is a 1-on-1 game and they will go at Garland every possession like last game. We aren’t talking about the other issues but this is just one change among more chances. So I won’t act like there are other issues.
It absolutely is not true.....please review the games he was out compared to his return (I pretty much helped you already) and tell me how it's true with something factual other than "eye test" or "I watch the games". Also a fact the D has been elite this year and last year. Before you say you watch and he's such an issue down the stretch please try and remember we have played a number of close games late and came away with a W. Is he a good defender? Nope....like most PGs. and all star caliber PGs don't often sit down the stretch.

Having said that last comment does not mean I believe he must play in crunch time. I could see going with Mitchell, Allen, Mobley, Levert and maybe strus, Niang or even Merrill at some point.

Because of math Garland and DG are going to play some together as are Mobley/Allen. If they all play 32-36 minutes each gonna have to have them on the court a certain amount together. Oh - and not sure why you keep ignoring this - but the 4 of them were among the top 4 man units and 5 man units in the entire league last season. Before you say "but the playoffs" we now have far better players off the bench than we did last season in the playoffs.

what I just want to see is obviously everyone stay healthy to give JB time to see everyone playing more together and figure out what works best....and, yes, if radical changes need to be made I also hope he's open to that.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It absolutely is true. I have see years of it. No denying it. Now that Garland’s shot is off and right now is not the better distributor-he isn’t nearly as valuable. Things could change hopefully.
Did you watch down the stretch? They attack Garland. Put him on a switch. Garland puts his arm out then goes to the other man. He is a liability on defense whether the effort is there or not. He is also not the guy you want to take the last shot or in the clutch. I have numbers to back that up as well. Last night there was a lot of issues and at times Garland made the right play and limited TO’s. In the grand scheme, he works better overall without Mitchell on the floor.
He doesn’t need to go to the bench—he needs to play mainly with the second unit. He can start in the 1st. The sooner JB realizes this the better and it would not be ideal in crunch time to have Garland in the game. More suited for a floor spreader who can play defense. I have watched these Garland Cavs for a long time and the consistency is not there. I want go believe it will work but the eye test says otherwise.

Everyone always mentions, “despite Garland the defense is still elite” and I really don’t care. In crunch time basketball is a 1-on-1 game and they will go at Garland every possession like last game. We aren’t talking about the other issues but this is just one change among more chances. So I won’t act like there are other issues.
Good post. The stuff you’re talking about usually doesn’t make a huge impact in the regular season but loom large in the playoffs.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. The stuff you’re talking about usually doesn’t make a huge impact in the regular season but loom large in the playoffs.
It does....but our issue in the last playoff was scoring. Even with Garland the defense was not close to our issue. will say he was part of it as the guards were terrible rebounding and boxing out.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean…

Shouldn’t use it an excuse in that way.

But how could it not?

He is the anchor of your defense. You need your bigs to be able to communicate effectively, both calling out screen coverage and calling out rotations.

The big can usually see a lot more than the guards can.
Need them to be able to communicate on the floor.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat basketball finally back tonight
It's all about the culture...amirite?

Lab Stem GIF by College of Natural Sciences, UT Austin

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullets in the OKC tonight having lost 9 in a row. Thunder coming off their biggest win of the season. I couldn’t bet either way but I would consider taking the points if I did.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This summer I need Maxey’s skill work to revolve around his midrange game.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely what he needs to be a complete player, could be scary
It’s not a deficiency, it’s just not as efficient as his rim game and his distance shooting. This is the time where he really needs it. When Embiid is around, the lack of midrange efficiency isn’t a big deal cause Embiid is in those spots anyway.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs might have to give Okoro a Tristan Thompson type contract if he keeps on improving...shit- if thats enough.