• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2021 NFL Draft Thread.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be such a crazy draft.

I wonder how many college guys who took the year off this year would have done so if they would have known the NFL wouldnt be doing a traditional combine.

For example: I look at a guy that is being rated highly like Gregory Rousseau and wonder how I would draft him early in the draft if I were a GM after seeing only 13 games and not getting to look at him in the combine and comparing him as his athletic potential compared to the other DE's in this draft.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be such a crazy draft.

I wonder how many college guys who took the year off this year would have done so if they would have known the NFL wouldnt be doing a traditional combine.

For example: I look at a guy that is being rated highly like Gregory Rousseau and wonder how I would draft him early in the draft if I were a GM after seeing only 13 games and not getting to look at him in the combine and comparing him as his athletic potential compared to the other DE's in this draft.
I have no idea how someone could draft Gregory Rousseau in rd1. He might be one of the 10 best players in the draft a few years from now but there just isn't enough there to roll the dice on.

Denver Bronco Fan96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam
Jets need to replace Sam Darnold. All of the QBs in the divisional round of the playoffs are young guys who will be around for awhile. Sam Darnold isn't getting you any playoff wins in the future. Any mock draft that doesn't have the Jets picking a QB is wrong imo. I'll put that in writing.
Darnold isn't the problem in NY...He has a very crappy offensive line, and literally no weapons to work with at all... i like Sam, But honestly even if Trevor Lawrence goes to NY they are still not going to have a winning season... The reason why Mark Sanchez was, "somewhat" successful in NY is because he had Rex Ryan, and i know i'm probably gonn get some hate, for even remotely saying that Rex Ryan was a good coach, but he was. They got to the playoffs. They had a considerable team in competing with the "Elite" in the league. They need to worry about their offensive Line. There is nothing wrong with Sam Darnold...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam

Darnold isn't the problem in NY...He has a very crappy offensive line, and literally no weapons to work with at all... i like Sam, But honestly even if Trevor Lawrence goes to NY they are still not going to have a winning season... The reason why Mark Sanchez was, "somewhat" successful in NY is because he had Rex Ryan, and i know i'm probably gonn get some hate, for even remotely saying that Rex Ryan was a good coach, but he was. They got to the playoffs. They had a considerable team in competing with the "Elite" in the league. They need to worry about their offensive Line. There is nothing wrong with Sam Darnold...
He might not be the only problem but he isn’t the long-term answer so yeah if he isn’t the guy you move off of him. You can keep him to still compete for the gig one more year but it’s better trying to shop him for like a 2nd. Sam has no “it factor” of any kind we usually see with a franchise guy, can he be starter caliber, yes I do but he needs a new setting. New York isn’t that place.

Denver Bronco Fan96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might not be the only problem but he isn’t the long-term answer so yeah if he isn’t the guy you move off of him. You can keep him to still compete for the gig one more year but it’s better trying to shop him for like a 2nd. Sam has no “it factor” of any kind we usually see with a franchise guy, can he be starter caliber, yes I do but he needs a new setting. New York isn’t that place.
I do agree with you on that. He will develop as he goes along, but he definitely does need a new setting.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam

I think the Jets investing in another tackle would be interesting. There is a chance that six years from now Bechton and Sewell are the two highest paid tackles in the league. If they're both on the same team then that's certainly a team identity. I just think that if you do this and Darnold has a decent year when you pay for FA WRs then you might get into a situation where you have to give Darnold a contract. You'd have to be really confident in Darnold being a top 10 QB to go this route because with all of the resources the Jets have and arguably the best coaching hire then this is probably the only good opportunity to hitch their wagon to a different horse.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idk, it's possible he's not strong enough to get off press against NFL DB's. Maybe more injury-prone. But somebody's going to take the chance. His speed is electrifying.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idk, it's possible he's not strong enough to get off press against NFL DB's. Maybe more injury-prone. But somebody's going to take the chance. His speed is electrifying.
Yeah lots of fast guys get drafted high...and disappoint.... honestly i think more guys get drafted high based on speed than actual skill at the position, and they fail.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devonta Smith will have to put on weight at the next level. His weight right now kinda doesnt matter because it can't be that in the NFL.

If he can get off the line then he'll be good, though. If he is a 4.45 speed guy at 190 then thats good enough to still be able to separate. He just isnt going to get that Alabama separation.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devonta Smith will have to put on weight at the next level. His weight right now kinda doesnt matter because it can't be that in the NFL.

If he can get off the line then he'll be good, though. If he is a 4.45 speed guy at 190 then thats good enough to still be able to separate. He just isnt going to get that Alabama separation.
Word is that he's at 164, and this is why he didn't want to step on the scales at the Senior Bowl. Looks to be what the bodybuilding community calls a hardgainer. He ain't getting to 190 in the foreseeable future. But 180 and if he's significantly stronger without losing the jets, ya know ....

I predict some team is going to roll the dice in the first half of R1.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if homeboy is 164, adding 15-25 lbs is likely gonna change his game

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 6'2" and I've been around 164 at that weight and I had almost no muscle mass at the time. If thats true then I'm not sure I'd even consider him. 190 is kinda on the low end of a normal NFL weight. Jeremy Maclin was 198 and he was barely big enough for the league. Chris Godwin was 209. If you dont think he is the same guy with 15 lbs then dont draft him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is definitely not comparable to a guy like Tyreek. Tyreek is strong as shit. I don’t think he is top 5 worthy like sone expeets seem to be projecting him at this point. Top 15? Sure.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the receiver order will go:

1. Ja'marr Chase
2. Kyle Pitts
3. Jaylen Waddle
4. DeVonta Smith

And you'll probably see all of them go top 15. I think the most likely way this order is wrong is if Pitts goes before Chase. Drafting TEs in rd1 is generally not smart but Pitts' catch radius is nuts and he looks impossible to cover. I feel like even if he underwhelms the he has a career like Todd Heap and not a TE bust like Howard who was known for blocking. In today's league, though, he probably won't bust. There is a chance he could walk in and be a top 10 'WR' pretty much from the start.

With that order, though, I kinda see Smith's weight taking him out of the top 10. I think he is actually someone who needs a combine and needs to prove himself to teams because what he did in college was worthy of a top 5 pick but I'm guessing teams will need to see him looking like an NFL WR.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think that the Falcons drafting a QB goes against everything the Falcons normally do? I would say that normally if they're sitting there and have to choose between a project QB who might make their team better in three years or a 6'6" TE that looks unguardable then they take the 6'6" TE every single time and then send out a presser about how he is a generational talent and Matt Ryan can play until he is 42.

Eagles pick is interesting because they pick so closely to the Cowboys and Giants and might have first crack at the CBs or DEs. I realize that Wentz is holding the team hostage but the Eagles almost have to pick a pro bowler at that spot just so the other two teams dont get him.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying all season I wanted the Panthers to get Pitts. He's a freak hybrid TE-WR who would blend well with the speed guys (Moore, Samuel, Anderson, CMC) we have. But that win against WFT in week 16 prolly cost CAR that one. Looking at the mocks, a lot would have to happen.

I'd be ok with Micah Parsons out of PSU there. Shaq Thompson has developed into a good NFL LB, but we're a ways off from a few years ago with Luke and Thomas Davis.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying all season I wanted the Panthers to get Pitts. He's a freak hybrid TE-WR who would blend well with the speed guys (Moore, Samuel, Anderson, CMC) we have. But that win against WFT in week 16 prolly cost CAR that one. Looking at the mocks, a lot would have to happen.

I'd be ok with Micah Parsons out of PSU there. Shaq Thompson has developed into a good NFL LB, but we're a ways off from a few years ago with Luke and Thomas Davis.
Micah Parsons is interesting. Isaiah Simmons was Superman coming out of college and he went at #8. Parsons is a different player but I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of teams take a swing at one of the top 3 CBs or maybe Rousseau instead and Parsons drops a bit.

Panthers are kinda the anti-Chiefs right now. In every game but losing every game. They are one or two players away but I couldn't tell you who those players are. Most people kinda point to Teddy Bridgewater so I would expect them to go offense with their top pick. Their yards per play on offense and defense are identical, though, so there is improvement needed on both sides of the ball.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers are kinda the anti-Chiefs right now. In every game but losing every game. They are one or two players away but I couldn't tell you who those players are.
Lot of holes on the defense. Like I say, Panthers need a better LB corps. And DB's. They never have more than competent safeties. There have been a couple of cycles now where they've drafted a promising CB, who doesn't really start delivering till years 3-4. Last two were Josh Norman and James Bradberry (who was good for the Giants this year, and should have been tagged or re-signed, but Marty Hurney is a dumbass). Same thing is going on now with Donte Jackson and Rasul Douglas. One of the mocks had them taking Caleb Farley out of VaTech, though I've seen mixed reviews on taking him early.
Most people kinda point to Teddy Bridgewater so I would expect them to go offense with their top pick. Their yards per play on offense and defense are identical, though, so there is improvement needed on both sides of the ball.
Bridgewater is a capable distributor if he has speedy playmakers around him. That's what's expected of him. The alarming thing was late in the season, he started turning the ball over more. So who knows, maybe they do take Wilson if he's available, but hopefully not Lance.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well when I 1st read this I thought. maybe that is why Hill didnt go until the 5th round, but honestly I never knew Hill's college career so it might have been just his play there.
However Hill worked out for a little guy.
So I looked at what ESPN has them listed at.
Smith has 3 inches on Hill & -10 pounds. That is pretty slim.
So then I thought our Cowboys has a slim ass WR in CeeDee lamb. & he did pretty good.
Looked at those stats & I was surprised he weighs 198lbs. Similar height to Smith. So if Lamb looks tiny at his height & outweighs Smith by 25 pounds. I am gonna have to agree. Smith might fall in the draft.

Closest small weight guy I can think of at the tallest would be D-Jax at 5'10" 175 lbs, which is still 3 inches shorter than Smith.