• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2021 NFL Draft Thread.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My read on the situation as of today is I believe is it's between Fields and Lance with Fields being the leader in the clubhouse right now.

John Beck is the QB coach Fields has been working with and now recently Lance as well. Beck was a backup QB for the Shanahans with the Redskins and he's currently tight with the Shanahans now.

So whatever he says about these guys and what he's said about Fields has been really positive is going to hold a lot of weight to Shanahan and thus the 9ers as a whole.

Both Fields' and Lance's pro days are basically 9ers auditions that other teams can watch as both their pro days feature throws that Shanahan wants to see them make.

Mac Jones to the 9ers was just a monster that grew out of control because a couple of media guys connected some dots and thought Kyle would love Jones because he loved Cousins and worked with guys like Schuab, Ryan, and etc.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My read on the situation as of today is I believe is it's between Fields and Lance with Fields being the leader in the clubhouse right now.

John Beck is the QB coach Fields has been working with and now recently Lance as well. Beck was a backup QB for the Shanahans with the Redskins and he's currently tight with the Shanahans now.

So whatever he says about these guys and what he's said about Fields has been really positive is going to hold a lot of weight to Shanahan and thus the 9ers as a whole.

Both Fields' and Lance's pro days are basically 9ers auditions that other teams can watch as both their pro days feature throws that Shanahan wants to see them make.

Mac Jones to the 9ers was just a monster that grew out of control because a couple of media guys connected some dots and thought Kyle would love Jones because he loved Cousins and worked with guys like Schuab, Ryan, and etc.
Mac to SF a smokescreen? I figured but even Kiper and McShay are jumping on it

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smokescreen for what?
Good point, it would be for no reason...still why is everyone jumping on Mac to SF if Fields is the front runner. Who is beefing this rumor up and for what reason?
It seemed like just a day ago, Mac was a lock to SF, now it’s not so clear

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Good point, it would be for no reason...still why is everyone jumping on Mac to SF if Fields is the front runner. Who is beefing this rumor up and for what reason?
It seemed like just a day ago, Mac was a lock to SF, now it’s not so clear

And some of those that said Mac to SF was a lock are now saying they still believe it's going to be Mac but the 9ers are keeping their options open.

It looks to me that when the trade was made Chris Simms whose Shanahan's close friend said he believed the pick was going to be Jones that a big game of telephone happened with the media and they all convinced themselves Jones was going to be the pick based on educated guesses on Shanahan's past history with QBs.

The 9ers front office is ironclad when it comes to the draft and if anything actually "leaks" from them it's intentional on their part. If Mac Jones was hinted at by the front office it's because they wanted to create a smokescreen because at the time the Jets hadn't traded Sam Darnold. But my guess is this is a monster of the media's own creation because it's great for driving interest in the draft and giving all these sports shows something to talk about when we're in the dog days of sports right now.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Good point, what value is there? Jags and Jets are locked in, so a team wanting Fields or Lance can't leapfrog the Niners. Just to annoy the draftniks?

They just do it to keep other teams from being able to plan. All revealing who you're going to draft just makes it easier for the other NFL teams to plan their own moves so why give them an advantage if you don't have too.

Even the Jags won't come out and fully admit they are taking Lawrence with the #1 overall pick. The closest they'll get is Meyer saying that's where they are leaning towards.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

In general pro days aren't important but since teams can't hold private workouts they are a little more important than usual.

For Lance they are actually pretty important since he only had one game this past year and since I've been doing some homework on some of these guys they say he's really cleaned up his mechanics since he's played last.

One of his knocks is his inconsistent accuracy but if you see in his pro day that his mechanics have improved from what was on film it could increase your grade and ranking on him.

A strong pro day could really boost his stock and I think he'll be very much in play at #3 for the 9ers and I don't think he'll make it out of the top 10. The kid ranks crazy high in intangibles and I think teams will look at the level he played at age 19 and unpolished and imagine what he could become with more polish and experience.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

This is why I don't buy the Mac Jones to the 9ers is a lock narrative.

You're not hiding the fact you're going QB but I know you want to hide who you're taking and that's a whole lot of overkill if you're locked in on Mac Jones and you want to convince people you're not.

I don't think you're telling Lance to go to Beck whose basically you're inside man, having him school Lance on the things Shanahan wants to see, and make his pro day basically a private workout that other teams can attend.

If you're interest was superficial to me all you'd do is have Lance set up his pro day, show up with the brain trust, let Lance do his thing, and act interested than bounce.

Yeah maybe it is still an elaborate smokescreen but man that's a lot of work to try to convince teams that you're not taking Mac Jones when you are especially when the Jags and Jets aren't going to take him from you at #1 and #2.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why I don't buy the Mac Jones to the 9ers is a lock narrative.

You're not hiding the fact you're going QB but I know you want to hide who you're taking and that's a whole lot of overkill if you're locked in on Mac Jones and you want to convince people you're not.

I don't think you're telling Lance to go to Beck whose basically you're inside man, having him school Lance on the things Shanahan wants to see, and make his pro day basically a private workout that other teams can attend.

If you're interest was superficial to me all you'd do is have Lance set up his pro day, show up with the brain trust, let Lance do his thing, and act interested than bounce.

Yeah maybe it is still an elaborate smokescreen but man that's a lot of work to try to convince teams that you're not taking Mac Jones when you are especially when the Jags and Jets aren't going to take him from you at #1 and #2.
It could very well be they are just keeping their options open but they still have a #1 target. I mean this a decision that could affect their franchise for quite some time and they didn’t give up all those picks for no reason. They could very well love all 3 prospects. I still think it’s Fields but I could be bias

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner thinks the QB order is #1 Lawrence and then 2-4 are pretty fluid depending on which system you want and wouldn't argue with any order that teams have with those guys. Lance #5 due to consistency. Warner did say he had Jones #3 but mostly due to his bias of how he played. Thinks that Jones is the best at processing but has some of the same questions as Daniel jones coming out and worries that he could end up like Andy Dalton if things dont work out. He thinks Fields could be higher but requires more research to figure out if his good games are flukes or his bad games are flukes. Reading between the lines, Warner is basically suggesting that due diligence will properly place Fields in this mix.

Whats gumming up things likely isnt who people are picking 2-4. Its whether or not teams see Lance as worth the risk. Wilson is a relatively risky prospect himself but Lance is on a whole different level of risk and reward.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Lombardi from the Athletic guarantees the 49ers will not pick Fields

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So like everyone produces their own pick and we judge who gets the most picks correct?
Yeah, I'm wondering if there's some online tool for grading R1. How do y'all do that for the threads in the draft forum?

It could maybe be a combination of (a) picks right, (b) # of players who ended up in Rd 1, (c) other (maybe there could be two picks for a set number of teams).

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm wondering if there's some online tool for grading R1. How do y'all do that for the threads in the draft forum?

It could maybe be a combination of (a) picks right, (b) # of players who ended up in Rd 1, (c) other (maybe there could be two picks for a set number of teams).
That’s tough, I don’t know of any grading system. I know for the mock draft we do yearly it’s just based off people voting, not a grading system.
The easiest way is just count the correct picks made in that spot. It’s hard to do it any other way bc you have to look at value, need, player grade, etc....

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah soooo here wouod be my guess....

x points for correct player
Y points for correct position.
Z points for correctly predicting a trade.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah soooo here wouod be my guess....

x points for correct player
Y points for correct position.
Z points for correctly predicting a trade.
Didn't think about position, that would be an ok add.

I'm thinking you get two players for each team now, like (1) and (2). You can only use any given player as a (1) once and (2) once. Then by draft slot:
(1) - drafted at that slot - 4 points
(2) - drafted at that slot - 2 points
then (1) drafted in 1st round - 1 point
Bind position to choice (1)- 1 point (flexible here)
The trade is tough, because you have to think about whether the points are bound to the slots or teams. But could be worked in somehow.