• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: THE 2014 NFL DRAFT DAY ROUND #1

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
general comment.......looking at this draft situation now, we should secure our D before O. meaning all things being equal, take the CB. we face good passing teams all the time, and we need to keep our D strong. a CB might even start for us THIS season, whereas a WR will only get so many snaps.

we'll still have enough O to win the SB, its been proven last two seasons. it'll come down to Kaep improving his passing skills anyway, not a rookie WR.

Why Deep, it almost sounds like you're endorsing drafting for next year instead of three years down the road.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they? Jones has been very, very good when healthy, but at least part of their collapse last year was because they gave up three or four starter-caliber picks to get him. They could have had, for example, Jimmy Smith, Randall Cobb, David DeCastro, and Jared Crick instead of Jones. Obviously the latter would require them to draft well, but none of those picks are unrealistic propositions. I have no doubt which side of that I'd rather be on.

I would take Jones and reason being he is a Big time play maker and we have no clue if Atlanta would pick one of those guys. Yes maybe they gave up too much but they got their guy and they made it to a NFC Championship game because of it(not him alone.) What "IF" game is tough because we don't have insight on their draft board during that draft. Who really thought Cobb would be this good. Not many if so he would of been drafted in the 1st rd. It ended being a great pick for GB.

I do see both sides of the argument. I don't disagree with you. Just in my opinion I think Atlanta did the right thing for their organization at that time. It was a win/win.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32s Two teams that have also talked about a trade (this is a big surprise): #Ravens and #Niners. May be a past relationship there. #Bro

This has been my prediction for the last 3 weeks. I think this would be the right trade to make for both teams. Ravens still get a 1st plus more picks that they need. 49ers jump up enough to grab one of their many players(Beckham, Cooks, Fuller, or Varrett).

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Go up to 17 to draft Verrett? That seems excessive. There's a pretty good chance he'd be available at 30.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to lie, this fucking wait for this fucking draft has KILLED my spirits... I'm slowly trying to jumpstart but fucking man o man, bring it back to normal time or earlier...

fuck sakes...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Rams - Robinson[/B Stafford needs protection
Rams oline was pretty solid last year but Robinson does look like the prohibitive favorite at the spot. Robinson projects as a much better run blocker, too

I don't get why people think Cooks is going to leave the top 10. I get that WRs fall every year but he checks all of the boxes as a top 10 pick.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't had a reason to come here much lately.

Thank god the draft is here. Finally something meaningful.

I def see us moving up. We have way too many picks and not enough spots on this team. We need to get a starting cb and a starting wr. Fill in that safety depth and front 7 depth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rams oline was pretty solid last year but Robinson does look like the prohibitive favorite at the spot. Robinson projects as a much better run blocker, too

I don't get why people think Cooks is going to leave the top 10. I get that WRs fall every year but he checks all of the boxes as a top 10 pick.

Except height.

BOB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners do trade up with the Ravens, I hope it's only for an additional 3rd rounder (#77). Hopefully, Fuller will still be available. If not, probably ODB or Cooks.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Jones and reason being he is a Big time play maker and we have no clue if Atlanta would pick one of those guys. Yes maybe they gave up too much but they got their guy and they made it to a NFC Championship game because of it(not him alone.) What "IF" game is tough because we don't have insight on their draft board during that draft. Who really thought Cobb would be this good. Not many if so he would of been drafted in the 1st rd. It ended being a great pick for GB.

I do see both sides of the argument. I don't disagree with you. Just in my opinion I think Atlanta did the right thing for their organization at that time. It was a win/win.

Atlanta got a big time play maker, but it didn't result in anything for them. 1 trip to an NFC Championship for the picks they gave up would be a bitter disappointment to me. I like Julio Jones a lot and you are right when saying we have no idea how their other drafts would have gone, but when you make a trade like that you're shooting for Super Bowl.

Now their team has no championships and quite a few holes on their roster and not even in a top 5 team in the NFC. (Sea, SF, GB, Car, NO, Ari I think are all better).

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners do trade up with the Ravens, I hope it's only for an additional 3rd rounder (#77). Hopefully, Fuller will still be available. If not, probably ODB or Cooks.

I'd like to see us move up higher than Balt's pick. most of our picks won't make the team anyway. If we can't trade down for picks next year, then break the bank this year and grab Evans or something.

Latest word is Beckham is climbing boards to 11ish

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta got a big time play maker, but it didn't result in anything for them. 1 trip to an NFC Championship for the picks they gave up would be a bitter disappointment to me. I like Julio Jones a lot and you are right when saying we have no idea how their other drafts would have gone, but when you make a trade like that you're shooting for Super Bowl.

Now their team has no championships and quite a few holes on their roster and not even in a top 5 team in the NFC. (Sea, SF, GB, Car, NO, Ari I think are all better).

They made it to the NFC title gm in his 2nd yr... following yr he got hurt...

ATL shelled a lot yes, but its not like Julio hasn't been a gamer when healthy.

Glad our Niners got in the way of their SB run :yahoo:

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but ATL's D is shitty compared to ours. And their QB couldn't win a playoff game forever. Apples and Oranges IMO.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Luck is going to have a fun career at Indy lol

What sucks for Hou is two all pro ends won't win you championships. They still need a QB. We'll see who they grab in the 2nd.

Could you imagine Clowney with their 1st pick, and Manzeil with their 2nd?

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What time are the Texans officially on the clock?

Does the coverage start at 7 or does the draft officially start at 7