• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: THE 2014 NFL DRAFT DAY ROUND #1

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would like to move up, but not sell the farm like Atlanta did for Jones. I don't think we need to do anything like that, when we can still get very little drop off in talent moving up just a bit.

Agreed. I'm eyeing the early 20s. I agree that making a dramatic move in this draft seems like a waste of very valuable picks. I hated Bill Williamson's mock of moving up to 11 for ODB, for instance. Giving up both second rounders in this draft would be brutal.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They'd better not make that kind of move. I'm totally fine with trading up into the late-teens or 20s. I really don't like the idea of trading away so much draft capital in a strong draft for a single player.

That's my preference as well. I think the 2nd round is the sweet spot of this draft, so I'm not too keen on giving up more than 1 of those current 2nd round draft picks.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I'm eyeing the early 20s. I agree that making a dramatic move in this draft seems like a waste of very valuable picks. I hated Bill Williamson's mock of moving up to 11 for ODB, for instance. Giving up both second rounders in this draft would be brutal.

I saw that too and would be pissed. I think Watkins is the biggest playmaker, but aside from him I don't think any other receiver is clearly the second best. No need to go that far up. I would prefer a CB in round 1. Also, I say that because I am always worried when we draft a WR.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It always seems like a run begins on CB's in the early 20's and they start flying off the board like crazy. That would justify making a move for a CB before WR because CB is the immediate need. Also good CB's are a lot harder to find than WR's.

So if CB comes off first here are the viable options:

1) Baalke makes another move up to lock in a WR that will succeed despite the coaching staff (the Crimson move).

2) Baalke hedges his bets and waits to get a WR later in the 2nd, and doubles down with another WR in the 3rd or 4th because he doesn't want to make another Jenkins mistake.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Congrats man. She looks like a cutie! With the draft moving back a couple weeks and landing on her birthday maybe that is a sign. Good things! And happy birthday to your little girl! Is she walking or anything yet?

She literally started crawling yesterday. She has been trying to walk for about 2 months. She doesn't come close but she sees her mom and I walking so she was trying that. Gates were erected last night... So it begins

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So here's what it is - my left brain is telling me they should take a CB first, but my right brain REALLY wants a WR!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd like to move up and grab Fuller (him specifically really based on nothing but a gut feeling; not sure I've ever seen him play). There are going to be a lot of good WRs left in the second (Matthews, Moncrief, Robinson, maybe Lee and Latimer). I'd much rather end up with a top CB and one of those guys (and probably another WR from rounds 3-5) than move up for ODB and end up with Pierre Desir or something like that.

Re: all the talk about Cooks, I like what I've seen from him a lot, and what I've heard re: his character off the field, but do folks on the board really believe that this coaching staff will make good use of a guy like that? I have serious questions about their willingness/ability to use that type of player at WR.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So here's what it is - my left brain is telling me they should take a CB first, but my right brain REALLY wants a WR!

I'd think this is typical for most fans, not only 49er fans. we naturally think of the 'glamour' positions first.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Niners are not able to trade up which is unlikely, Ravens only have five picks, they can trade up to pick #17 just before the Jets and draft Cooks, ODB, or Fuller. If they're stuck at #30, maybe the Jags would like to move up into the late 1st round to get their QB. Niners get their early 2nd and possibly a 3rd and another pick. Niners will end up with three 2nd round picks an four 3rd round picks which would be great in this very deep draft.

I like this idea but I would change the 3rd and another pick to next years draft. We already have too many this year. 3 2nd rd picks would be nice.

This isn't a bad Plan B.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She literally started crawling yesterday. She has been trying to walk for about 2 months. She doesn't come close but she sees her mom and I walking so she was trying that. Gates were erected last night... So it begins

Congrats brother. Ours is 18 months and the jump in EVERYTHING from one year to now is crazy. Someone told us year 1 is about the body and year 1-2 is about their brains. And its true. Prepare to have your mind blown. Enjoy it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It always seems like a run begins on CB's in the early 20's and they start flying off the board like crazy. That would justify making a move for a CB before WR because CB is the immediate need. Also good CB's are a lot harder to find than WR's.

So if CB comes off first here are the viable options:

1) Baalke makes another move up to lock in a WR that will succeed despite the coaching staff (the Crimson move).

2) Baalke hedges his bets and waits to get a WR later in the 2nd, and doubles down with another WR in the 3rd or 4th because he doesn't want to make another Jenkins mistake.

agree. everyone (here, beat writers, and national pundits) thinks CB is a larger need than WR....except Dodub. :-)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're spot on Purguy. Although you and I both know Evans will be gone by the 7th pick. He will either go to the Raiders or the Bucs. Assuming there are no trades, the top 5 picks will probably be:

1. Texans - Clowney
2. Rams - Robinson[/B Stafford needs protection
3. Jaguars - Watkins Blackmon is suspended indefinitely
4. Browns - Manziel
5. Raiders - Evans

I agree I don't think he slips by 10. I just don't get TB taking him. They already have WRs. They need help in other areas like at QB.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to move up, but not sell the farm like Atlanta did for Jones. I don't think we need to do anything like that, when we can still get very little drop off in talent moving up just a bit.

Drop off from Watkins and Evans is Big in my opinion. These are #1 type WRs. Others are #2's and #3's. Atlanta made out in that trade. Jones(when Healthy) is a top WR.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the 2nd Tier CB;s. I like Desir who we can get in the 2nd or the FSU CB. I think 49ers end up with Beckham or Cooks. either way I think it will be a great day for the 49ers.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree I don't think he slips by 10. I just don't get TB taking him. They already have WRs. They need help in other areas like at QB.

They have one WR, and he's 31. After that, it's a barren wasteland. Louis Murphy is their #2 right now, followed by Lavelle Hawkins as their #3.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The big question is sitting tight, or making a big splash. If we move aggressively up to get a CB at around 15, then it will be harder to land a top WR without burning through a ton of picks. So I think Trent will probably make a move into the early to mid 20's for a CB, and then make another move up to the late first/early second for a WR. Once those positions are locked in, he'll start working the middle rounds (what's left anyway) to get future picks.

I think a bold prediction would be that we sit tight at 30. I'd be really surprised if that played out.

general comment.......looking at this draft situation now, we should secure our D before O. meaning all things being equal, take the CB. we face good passing teams all the time, and we need to keep our D strong. a CB might even start for us THIS season, whereas a WR will only get so many snaps.

we'll still have enough O to win the SB, its been proven last two seasons. it'll come down to Kaep improving his passing skills anyway, not a rookie WR.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have one WR, and he's 31. After that, it's a barren wasteland. Louis Murphy is their #2 right now, followed by Lavelle Hawkins as their #3.

Oh crap that's right Mike Williams is gone. Yeah I guess they do need one. I still would go QB if I were them and grab a WR in the 2nd.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
general comment.......looking at this draft situation now, we should secure our D before O. meaning all things being equal, take the CB. we face good passing teams all the time, and we need to keep our D strong. a CB might even start for us THIS season, whereas a WR will only get so many snaps.

we'll still have enough O to win the SB, its been proven last two seasons. it'll come down to Kaep improving his passing skills anyway, not a rookie WR.

I agree go CB 1st because it is a bigger need and that player might start. Rather take a WR in the 2nd and let him learn the system.

Another way u look at it is that you go in on Evans or Watkins because of the Idea of Crabtree leaving.

It all depends how the front office is looking at this. We will find out soon.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Drop off from Watkins and Evans is Big in my opinion. These are #1 type WRs. Others are #2's and #3's. Atlanta made out in that trade. Jones(when Healthy) is a top WR.

Did they? Jones has been very, very good when healthy, but at least part of their collapse last year was because they gave up three or four starter-caliber picks to get him. They could have had, for example, Jimmy Smith, Randall Cobb, David DeCastro, and Jared Crick instead of Jones. Obviously the latter would require them to draft well, but none of those picks are unrealistic propositions. I have no doubt which side of that I'd rather be on.