• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 1 Thing to fear from your program by other teams for the 2015 Season

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Chris Peterson is one year closer to doing is thing. Probably gonna be a long year in Seattle....

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a category, or is there supposed to be a comma in there somewhere? Either way I call bull.

Which part? Because he did take a Stanford program that was among the worst in the Power 5 conferences and turned them into one of the best. He also took a San Francisco franchise that was stuck in a decade of mediocrity and took them to three straight NFC title games and one Super Bowl. So like I said, he has a track record of turning programs around.

Which I want to go back to that comment about the 49ers, unlike Saban and other former NFL coaches in the college ranks, Harbaugh had success in the NFL. I'll grant you he doesn't have the national title rings of the other contenders for title of best coach, but that doesn't invalidate the argument.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which part? Because he did take a Stanford program that was among the worst in the Power 5 conferences and turned them into one of the best. He also took a San Francisco franchise that was stuck in a decade of mediocrity and took them to three straight NFC title games and one Super Bowl. So like I said, he has a track record of turning programs around.

Which I want to go back to that comment about the 49ers, unlike Saban and other former NFL coaches in the college ranks, Harbaugh had success in the NFL. I'll grant you he doesn't have the national title rings of the other contenders for title of best coach, but that doesn't invalidate the argument.

He's a hell of a coach. Hope he can return Michigan to prominence.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saban took a team that was 4-12 the year before he arrived and almost had them in the playoffs both years despite a host of injuries and was playing a 3rd string QB by the end of his 2nd year.

They went on the year after he left go 1-15.

It's why Dolphins fans were upset that he left, he was in the process of turning things around.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban took a team that was 4-12 the year before he arrived and almost had them in the playoffs both years despite a host of injuries and was playing a 3rd string QB by the end of his 2nd year.

It's why Dolphins fans were upset that he left, he was in the process of turning things around.

And Harbaugh took a team that went 6-10 the year before (similar to Miami the year before Saban arrived) and not only made the playoffs, in his first they went to the NFC title game and came a play away from going to Super Bowl, only to make it up his next year by going to the Super Bowl and coming a play away from winning the whole enchilada.

This isn't to knock on Saban, he did do a good job at Miami (all things considered) and maybe would have completed the turn around, but the fact remains you cannot call his two years in the NFL a "success" while you most certainly can say the Harbaugh had success at the NFL level.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Harbaugh took a team that went 6-10 the year before (similar to Miami the year before Saban arrived) and not only made the playoffs, in his first they went to the NFC title game and came a play away from going to Super Bowl, only to make it up his next year by going to the Super Bowl and coming a play away from winning the whole enchilada.

This isn't to knock on Saban, he did do a good job at Miami (all things considered) and maybe would have completed the turn around, but the fact remains you cannot call his two years in the NFL a "success" while you most certainly can say the Harbaugh had success at the NFL level.

I lived in the bay area during both his stints there, so I remember the situations pretty well. I went to 49ers games pretty regularly even though I'm a Bears fan.

The state of the dolphins when Saban arrived is no where near the state of the 49'rs when Harbaugh arrived. Singletary was a disciplinary head coach and while he didn't have the best record he did straighten the team up a bit. He was the guy who sent Vernon Davis to the locker room in the middle of his first game, he didn't put up with bullshit. Harbaugh was able to come in and take advantage of the situation by improving QB/Offensive play that eluded Singletary.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lived in the bay area during both his stints there, so I remember the situations pretty well. I went to 49ers games pretty regularly even though I'm a Bears fan.

The state of the dolphins when Saban arrived is no where near the state of the 49'rs when Harbaugh arrived. Singletary was a disciplinary head coach and while he didn't have the best record he did straighten the team up a bit. He was the guy who sent Vernon Davis to the locker room in the middle of his first game, he didn't put up with bullshit. Harbaugh was able to come in and take advantage of the situation by improving QB/Offensive play that eluded Singletary.

In the five years before Harbaugh arrived in San Fransisco, the 49ers went a combined 33-47, placed no higher than 2nd in their division and never made the playoffs.
In the five years pre-Saban, the Dolphins went a combined 45-35, finished 1st in the division once, and made the playoffs twice (and even won a game)

Now tell me again, which program was in a worse state prior to the respective coach showing up?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the five years before Harbaugh arrived in San Fransisco, the 49ers went a combined 33-47, placed no higher than 2nd in their division and never made the playoffs.
In the five years pre-Saban, the Dolphins went a combined 45-35, finished 1st in the division once, and made the playoffs twice (and even won a game)

Now tell me again, which program was in a worse state prior to the respective coach showing up?

I already did tell you. You went back 5 years to when Miami defense wasn't full of guys over the age of 30. They were young and in their prime when you went back that many years. So the defense was getting old, he had no QB and a RB in Ricky Williams that was a constant problem and spent the 2nd half of 2006 suspended.

San Fransisco didn't have a great record under Singletary, but he was rebuilding the team up pretty decently during those years and instilled discipline to the team.

So as far as situations goes, Harbaugh walked into a much better one. Personally thought the big thing Harbaugh did for the 49'rs was made Alex Smith serviceable. He sucked so bad under Singletary. I was at the first game Alex Smith and Frank Gore played in and bought a Jersey. I was damn glad I picked Gore.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying Harbaugh isn't a great coach; he is. I just think it is a little early to be calling him the greatest coach or the greatest coach at turning teams around. He has taken teams that weren't very good and made them contenders...problem is they never won it all once they started contending. Let's allow the jury to deliberate a little longer.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You may not like Harbaugh, but you have to respect him. I vividly remember a bad Stanford team taking down USC that was a 40 point favorite.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may not like Harbaugh, but you have to respect him. I vividly remember a bad Stanford team taking down USC that was a 40 point favorite.

I respect the guy and am anxious to see if he can turn the program around. As much as I love drubbing Michigan every november, its better for the conference (and by association, Ohio State) when Michigan is good.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect the guy and am anxious to see if he can turn the program around. As much as I love drubbing Michigan every november, its better for the conference (and by association, Ohio State) when Michigan is good.
Definitely. I feel the same about USC

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep. Minus 41.5 at home in 2007. #1 USC was on a 24 game conference winning streak, hadn't lost at home in over six years (to Stanford in 2001 ironically), and Stanford was playing with a back up QB (Tavita Pritchard) who had all of three career passes under his belt. Crazy.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody didnt notice that every year under Harbaugh, Kaepernick got worse and wor

sounds like he did a horrible job in in building the team since it went to shit the next year.
-Florida fans regarding Meyer

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Minus 41.5 at home in 2007. #1 USC was on a 24 game conference winning streak, hadn't lost at home in over six years (to Stanford in 2001 ironically), and Stanford was playing with a back up QB (Tavita Pritchard) who had all of three career passes under his belt. Crazy.
Yeah, that was pretty crazy!!

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had no dog in that hunt, but I liked Stanford upsetting USC in the Colosseum.

BeaverShaver

Blocked, Ignored, and Hated in equal parts (12)
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Chris Peterson is one year closer to doing is thing. Probably gonna be a long year in Seattle....

this one made me laugh.

one year closer to what? getting fired?

newsflash husky, relevance is not coming anytime soon

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As mentioned earlier:
543c7c1e692ba.image.jpg

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this one made me laugh.

one year closer to what? getting fired?

newsflash husky, relevance is not coming anytime soon

I have to agree. I just see Petersen as another former BSU coach who will fail miserably in a big boy conference.