• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thank you Jim Harbaugh / Trent Baalke for a great season

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This was the worst game ever, but I think we can count ourselves lucky to have a jewel of a head coach for (I hope) the next 10-20 years. There's nobody on planet earth I'd rather have as the head coach of the 49ers.

And Baalke has proven he's a top-flight GM.

Thanks to Jed York for hiring those guys. That was all you had to do.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also believe we have found our QB for the next 10 years as well, thanks to them.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I also believe we have found our QB for the next 10 years as well, thanks to them.

I think Harbaugh could get that caliber of play out of a lot of QBs, but you're probably right.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible ending the last two seasons, but fans have to be pleased with making it to the NFC Championship last year and all the way to the Super Bowl this year.

Also, I think we have found our franchise QB. There's no reason to think that he's not going to get better, and he's already pretty good. Even if defenses take away the read option, which remains to be be seen, Kaep can do damage with his arm.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible ending the last two seasons, but fans have to be pleased with making it to the NFC Championship last year and all the way to the Super Bowl this year.

Also, I think we have found our franchise QB. There's no reason to think that he's not going to get better, and he's already pretty good. Even if defenses take away the read option, which remains to be be seen, Kaep can do damage with his arm.

After some time passes, we'll probably all agree to this but I'm not for silver linings right now.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Harbaugh could get that caliber of play out of a lot of QBs, but you're probably right.

Harbaugh can get the best from QB's yes, but not every QB can play like Kap.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After some time passes, we'll probably all agree to this but I'm not for silver linings right now.

I hear ya, Anthem, but this thread is about recognizing a great season. The Niners had a great season. That we fell a little short in the Super Bowl doesn't change that. It was a great ride and we have a lot to look forward to.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, Anthem, but this thread is about recognizing a great season. The Niners had a great season. That we fell a little short in the Super Bowl doesn't change that. It was a great ride and we have a lot to look forward to.

Yeah

Just talking out of disappointment

I won't say anything ridiculous like "fire everyone"! etc. and they restored this great franchise back to elite status but I'm just not in the mood for condolences at the moment.

The window to NFL greatness is a small one, gotta take advantage when you can.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please have an all star off-season too. This is our chance to improve our team even more, don't fuck it up.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Please have an all star off-season too. This is our chance to improve our team even more, don't fuck it up.

When you pass up on Janoris Jenkins for A.J. Jenkins these types of unnecessary Super Bowl phucks up happens!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still in tragedy mode(as i call it at work)...

but yes we are lucky and blessed to have these two guys at their positions...

but WTF...... fuck it, Lets go ATL in the draft and get the next piece!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can 49ers get back to Super Bowl?
What San Francisco must do to get back to the big game next season
Originally Published: February 3, 2013
By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

With Colin Kaepernick at quarterback, the 49ers could be back in the Super Bowl next year.

The San Francisco 49ers made way too many mistakes in Super Bowl XLVII and were utterly dominated in the first half by a poised Baltimore Ravens team. But then the lights went out in the stadium -- and went on for the 49ers. And a fantastic football game ensued.

Even though the 49ers lost 34-31 on Sunday night, that doesn't mean it's all doom and gloom for San Francisco fans. In fact, the 49ers are in awfully good shape to return to the Super Bowl next year.

What do they have to do to get there?

Many will say that Colin Kaepernick was overmatched in this game. He did have a few moments when he looked overwhelmed, clock management was a problem and his footwork was poor on the interception that sailed on him. But for the most part, he threw the football incredibly well. And remember, this was only his 10th start. Think what an amazing learning experience this was for him -- he might have just been the best player on the field Sunday night. Kaepernick will be a great quarterback, if he isn't already. And with a great quarterback in this league, your team should always be competitive.

Going forward, the 49ers face a massive challenge within their division, as Seattle is very young and very threatening. San Francisco has stayed healthy over these past two seasons, particularly with its great defense and offensive line this season. Can that continue? Probably not.

What might they address this offseason? QB Alex Smith is sure to be somewhere else in 2013 and TE Delanie Walker is an unrestricted free agent, along with S Dashon Goldson, WR Randy Moss and DTs Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois. With Justin Smith's age and the possible loss of Jean-Francois, who played the run well in Smith's absence, San Francisco should use a high pick or two on the defensive line, at end and nose tackle, where Sopoaga could depart. Re-signing Jean-Francois and/or Sopoaga seems prudent though, and if they do that then using only one high draft pick on the defensive line would suffice.

Also on defense, there isn't another starting option at safety if Goldson leaves. However, this is a very deep safety draft, so that would lessen the blow if they couldn't re-sign him. The 49ers do play really with only 12 core defensive players game after game (which has worked out very well), but adding more options on that side of the ball could pay off, especially late in the year from a stamina perspective. San Francisco's defense was not the same in the postseason as it was for the majority of the regular season. And while much of that had to do with Justin Smith's injury and the disappearance of Aldon Smith, San Francisco's defensive players logged a ton of snaps this season.

On offense, with A.J. Jenkins still a question mark at wide receiver (although I have high hopes for him as soon as next year), Moss' contract up and Mario Manningham's injury situation, a big-play wide receiver should certainly be a consideration. Michael Crabtree emerged as a true No. 1 wide receiver this season, but a speedster opposite him would be an excellent complement, as might a quick and shifty slot wideout. The 49ers also will need to add a backup quarterback. Walker could demand quite a bit on the open market and is rather underutilized in San Francisco, so he seems to be a logical candidate to move on, opening up a need for a second tight end. This draft could be a very good resource to find Walker's replacement, but he would be a bigger loss than many realize because he's so good as a blocker, threatening receiver and special teamer. With David Akers' struggles, the 49ers also would be wise to find another kicker in the offseason.

Finally, few teams got as little from their rookie class as the 49ers did this year. That isn't to say that guys like Jenkins are busts, but you would think this group would have had more of an immediate impact. Maybe they collectively couldn't get on the field much, as the 49ers' starters are obviously a very strong group. But the first-year 49ers outside of LaMichael James remain mostly a mystery at this point. And of course, San Francisco will be drafting with the second-to-last pick of every round in the next draft, which makes it more difficult to find impact rookies for the 2013 season.

Still, at the end of the day, this isn't a difficult wish list to fulfill and San Francisco's roster could conceivably be stronger next year than it is today. This isn't a team that is missing a major piece or is a player or two away from greatness. Instead, the 49ers just need to stay the course.

With the league's top offensive line, the best and most diverse running game that also gets Kendall Hunter, who was very impressive this year, back from injury, a great and proven defense, along with possibly the league's most promising young quarterback and one of the NFL's best head coaches, this team is not going away any time soon. Don't be surprised if the 49ers are playing in the Super Bowl once again next season … perhaps with better results.

Matt Williamson
ESPN.com

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be surprised if the 49ers are playing in the Super Bowl once again next season … perhaps with better results.

Love the optimism.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the Cowboys from '70 and '71 lost a Super Bowl then came back to win it next year, the 49ers have the talent to pull it off but they need to fill a lot of holes on defense. If Baalke can somehow swing Alex Smith for an impact player that'd be great. If he has to throw in some draft picks along with Alex, I'd be fine with that too.

But yeah, I'm so glad the 49ers have Harbaugh and Baalke running the show and Jed York has done two great things as the CEO. He brought those two together and finally got the new stadium done.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to complain with the results the last 2 years. To get so close to the Super Bowl and then the following year lose the Super Bowl makes this even tougher. If this trend continues we should win the Super Bowl next year, right?

I hope this motivates Baalke and Harbaugh to keep adding great talent to this team and continue to improve the scheme and coaching.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Such a great picture here:

Harbaugh-brothers-after-S-008.jpg

You can almost see exactly why John Harbaugh said he felt extreme pleasure mixed with extreme heartache - look at the expression on Jim's face, just this amazing sadness and shock. I think John knows Jim doesn't lose well, he felt so badly for him. John would be a better loser, can handle these things in stride.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This was the worst game ever, but I think we can count ourselves lucky to have a jewel of a head coach for (I hope) the next 10-20 years. There's nobody on planet earth I'd rather have as the head coach of the 49ers.

And Baalke has proven he's a top-flight GM.

Thanks to Jed York for hiring those guys. That was all you had to do.

Thank you for not taking your advice of making an outside hiring! Not drafting DHB! Not trading up for Poe or Perry!

:rollseyes:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a great picture here:

Harbaugh-brothers-after-S-008.jpg

You can almost see exactly why John Harbaugh said he felt extreme pleasure mixed with extreme heartache - look at the expression on Jim's face, just this amazing sadness and shock. I think John knows Jim doesn't lose well, he felt so badly for him. John would be a better loser, can handle these things in stride.

Jim still has the play call sheet in his hand. He just can't let it go.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A great season with a horrible ending. The Niners picked a heck of time to have one of their worst starts to the game of the entire season.

It was a great season nonetheless, but to come out flat the way they did to start the last game of the season is pretty inexcusable - I'll get over this in a bit so I'm still harboring ill will and all, but still, no doubt we'd be tooting a different tune had this team played to its full potential for the entire 60 minutes instead of the final 21 minutes.