• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas wonders dumbly why aTm wants to join the SEC just ask Kent State

Red Elephant101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, to schedule this year’s Alabama game, it took some maneuvering from the athletic department. Three years ago, while Laing Kennedy was athletic director, Kent State had signed a contract to open the 2011 season on the road against Purdue, not Alabama, which would have earned the Flashes $375,000.

When Kennedy retired last year and Joel Nielsen took over as athletic director in the fall, that arrangement changed. Alabama had a schedule opening and reached out to Kent State — after all, Alabama coach Nick Saban is a KSU alum — in October and offered more than a million dollars for the game in Tuscaloosa. Nielsen took the bait; it would be the largest single-game payout in Kent State football history.

To get out of the Purdue game, Kent had to pay their program $425,000 to void the contract, earning a net of $775,000 with the switch and forcing the Boilermakers to scramble to fill their schedule.

Kent State is about to get paid SEC style.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a lot of money to shell out for KENT STATE....

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Aggie wants to join the SEC so they can pay scrub teams a million dollars?

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm ashamed that Alabama payed that much for a team. :L

Red Elephant101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The subject title requires a slight stretch to correlate into the gist of the topic outline I agree, but if one understands the dynamics of the big-12 and how Texas rakes in all the money from the conference earnings then you could see the stab I was attempting to make at their program.

In the future for this forum I will make things a little clearer and use the big pencil.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the SEC is sticking up for the cry babies in the Big 12 who couldn't hack it? Let me get this right, when the Big 12 first started and Nebraska and A&M were winning everything was fine, but now that Texas and OU are winning it's all Texas' fault for being greedy...just checking my facts here.

mysfit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the SEC is sticking up for the cry babies in the Big 12 who couldn't hack it? Let me get this right, when the Big 12 first started and Nebraska and A&M were winning everything was fine, but now that Texas and OU are winning it's all Texas' fault for being greedy...just checking my facts here.

It's about money.

And ego.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has never been fine for Nebraska. And that is proven by tons of 11-1 votes. Even still Nebraska only bolted when Texas (who runs the big 12) said they can't give a definite on the future of the big 12

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see any facts, only an opinion.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The subject title requires a slight stretch to correlate into the gist of the topic outline I agree, but if one understands the dynamics of the big-12 and how Texas rakes in all the money from the conference earnings then you could see the stab I was attempting to make at their program.

In the future for this forum I will make things a little clearer and use the big pencil.

Use crayon. It's more colorful.

Also, I was taking a stab at the fact that Bama is buying an easy win for a million bucks. Maybe i should use the big pencil.....

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm ashamed that Alabama payed that much for a team. :L

Good, you should be. Call Saban and tell him I said he lives in a Red State, and he should act like it. :ss:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know, I've thought about that too. But I don't think it's as important as the way Texas was dominating things. The Longhorn Network and revenue sharing seem to be the biggest straws.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crybabies? Couldn't hack it? Why do we have to rehash it over and over. Just get on with your lives, we have.

But since you did bring it up, in our defense as some has already said Nebraska has never been okay with it.

We were not okay when the Big 12 moved headquarters from Kansas City ( a neutral site geographically) to Texas. We were not okay when the Conference Championship was permanently moved to Texas. We were not okay with several votes as noted by the 11-1 comment earlier. But we allowed the system in place to work as we agreed to from the start.

Where we abandoned the system was when Colorado accepted an invitation to the PAC, Missouri was courting the B1G and Texas bluffed taking all their buddies to the PAC and leaving the conference in shambles.

With the looming possibilities of conference destruction it was Nebraska's right and responsibility to look after it's own best interests. Nothing different than Texas did with their bluff. Unfortunately for Texas it was only a bluff and we called it.

To quote Dr. Tom
"As we read the tea leaves and listened to the conversations, some of the schools that were urging us to stay, we found some of them had talked to not only one other conference or two but even three, and those were the same ones urging us to stay,"

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I think I got it.

We were in a dysfunctional family and said we would not take it and moved out.
Now all the other kids at home still have to take the abuse and the abusive father says it's our fault it got worse because we abandoned the family.

Sorry kids but we decided enough was enough.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Huskers have a point there. Nebraska was kind of late to the party on expansion, but we were really happy when they showed up. I wouldn't have done anything differently if I were them. Why would anyone? Texas and Missouri talking move....A&M and other schools subtly coming up in SEC or Pac 10 conversations...

Hmmmm. What to do, what to do? And then the Big 12 gets all pissy with Nebraska. Y'all are weird.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Sooner fan talking about bolting because of losses? Didn't Oklahoma weasel out of playing Nebraska every year because Nebraska was a sure L for your Sooners?? Look in the mirror buddy!