• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 Spring Training

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard a lot about the Rangers considering doing some unusual things in the pitching department this season. Whether it is a six-man rotation, piggy-backing some starters, putting starters in the pen, or other things, it seems they are thinking about doing a lot of tinkering.

It seems they have tinkered with pitching a lot in the JD era. Three years ago they decided to completely shut down their high school draftees and not let them pitch that summer. Two of those guys promptly needed Tommy John surgery when they tried to pitch again after the unusual layoff.

They have moved successful minor league starters to the big leagues as relievers in the past so that they wouldn't have to spend money on good relievers. That ruined Neftali Feliz's development as a starter and maybe shortened his career effectiveness by a great deal. The same thing happened to Alexi Ogando.

I sure hope they are not ruining careers of guys like Palumbo and Hearn and others this year with their tinkering and what some may consider over-thinking.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard a lot about the Rangers considering doing some unusual things in the pitching department this season. Whether it is a six-man rotation, piggy-backing some starters, putting starters in the pen, or other things, it seems they are thinking about doing a lot of tinkering.

It seems they have tinkered with pitching a lot in the JD era. Three years ago they decided to completely shut down their high school draftees and not let them pitch that summer. Two of those guys promptly needed Tommy John surgery when they tried to pitch again after the unusual layoff.

They have moved successful minor league starters to the big leagues as relievers in the past so that they wouldn't have to spend money on good relievers. That ruined Neftali Feliz's development as a starter and maybe shortened his career effectiveness by a great deal. The same thing happened to Alexi Ogando.

I sure hope they are not ruining careers of guys like Palumbo and Hearn and others this year with their tinkering and what some may consider over-thinking.
Well, doesn't this beg-the-question of: 'Why is JD still employed by this franchise?'......Maybe we let the big fish go to the Wrong Coast?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have moved successful minor league starters to the big leagues as relievers in the past so that they wouldn't have to spend money on good relievers.
That ruined Neftali Feliz's development as a starter and maybe shortened his career effectiveness by a great deal. The same thing happened to Alexi Ogando.

i could be wrong but if i remember correctly both Feliz and Ogando could never develop that 3rd pitch that starters need to have. it would have required both going back to the minors to work on it

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta address the elephant in the room here.

does odor play? does he play 155 games like he always does? Does woody bat him 2nd or 3rd to not hurt his fragile ego?

ranger fans have gotta be sick of this guy. Not a good situation if he’s on the team again. He needs to be moved.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i could be wrong but if i remember correctly both Feliz and Ogando could never develop that 3rd pitch that starters need to have. it would have required both going back to the minors to work on it
They brought Feliz up after just 13 AAA starts and only 10 in AA. When he did get the chance to start up here eventually, he did great. They needed relief help so they moved him to the bullpen. They never found out what he could have done with more AAA time in the rotation.

I don't recall it being said that Ogando needed another pitch. Unlike Feliz, he did start out in our system as a reliever. Then they switched him to a starter late in his minor league career. Just after that we brought him up in the middle of 2010 and made him a reliever again. Then in 2011 we used him in the rotation and then flip flopped him each of the next two years.

They tinkered a lot with those two instead of going out and investing in the bullpen in the offseasons. And, those two, were just the tip of the tinkering iceberg.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta address the elephant in the room here.

does odor play? does he play 155 games like he always does? Does woody bat him 2nd or 3rd to not hurt his fragile ego?

ranger fans have gotta be sick of this guy. Not a good situation if he’s on the team again. He needs to be moved.
I remember saying, as the 2019 season was coming to a close, that I would completely give up on the front office if they started Odor in 2020. I would think most would join me of he does so again in 2021.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious: since it appears most of you think JD wields more power than any other executive in baseball, how is it that he came to amass that power?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious: since it appears most of you think JD wields more power than any other executive in baseball, how is it that he came to amass that power?
The owners trust him immensely. To me, they trust him to a fault.

I am not sure if what is being discussed today has anything to do with being more powerful though. Most in his position make the kinds of organizational decisions that are being discussed here lately.

We haven't had a financial discussion lately, but when that arises there will be legitimate disagreements depending on who you believe makes the financial decisions, when it comes to free agency. Those discussions, and inevitable disagreements, will most likely start up in about 9 months.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he will hit some homers during ST and hit around .235 and we’ll see him in the lineup to start the season with someone who should be on the field (probably Solak) sitting on the bench. And it will be the owners and JD who make that decision

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that makes 41 pitchers at ST hope we have enough catchers
Ha but true.
I think the lack of innings by rollout Cher’s last year make the starters position a revolving door this season. FYI Palumbo was sick last season due to sickness that Jake D had. Hearn would be a nice guy to have start in AAA. Not sure thing we can roster all these MILB pitcher moves though

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I count a minimum of 23 pitchers both on the 40-man and non-roster invitees that have a legitimate chance to make the opening day roster and there another 5 that I’m missing

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we win game 6 this would be a non issue. Do think Ogando was overused that season though. Wish he was fresh for the WS. Could have been the difference maker
But then they allowed the rainout
Just too bad.
Maybe the new GM has more player leverage re acquisition now

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we win game 6 this would be a non issue. Do think Ogando was overused that season though. Wish he was fresh for the WS. Could have been the difference maker
But then they allowed the rainout
Just too bad.
Maybe the new GM has more player leverage re acquisition now
No, game 6 going better would not change how I feel about tinkering with pitchers.

Different GM now, but basically the same decision maker. At least there is a new voice, but how many times have we already had new voices?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I count a minimum of 23 pitchers both on the 40-man and non-roster invitees that have a legitimate chance to make the opening day roster and there another 5 that I’m missing
I think they already have most of the spots figured out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get better Rangers coverage from a retired TR Sullivan than I did from his replacement.