• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rangers need to step things up

I wonder if the Phillies are about to sign one of Correa/Seager.

Knowing our luck it will be Trevor Story.

Then turn around and trade for Bryan Reynolds or Cedric Wilson.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Coming into FA season almost 3 weeks ago, I wanted us to strike quickly. Let the other teams react to us. Of course, we refrained from doing so. Now, we may have to take the leftovers if we don't act really soon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaitlyn McGrath of The Athletic, reports that the Rangers could be in on Robbie Ray. It sounded more like she thought that thst would make sense more than she actually had a source telling her it was so.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a couple of excerpts from the Rosenthal article about the A's possibly rebuilding without tanking.

"One alternative, according to major-league sources, is for the A’s to build back up modestly by signing a bevy of free agents to one-year contracts, a course that might enable them to field a presentable team in 2022 while building inventory for additional trades. Think back to the 2014-15 offseason, when the A’s acquired Ben Zobrist entering his walk year after trading Josh Donaldson and Jeff Samardzija and losing others to free agency. The following summer, they traded Zobrist for one of their players who now might be on the move, left-hander Sean Manaea."

"If the A’s then spent $30 million to $40 million on the right free agents, it would only increase their options. They could not afford to miss the way they did last season with reliever Trevor Rosenthal, who signed for $11 million, required two surgeries and never threw a single pitch for the club. But the idea would be to duplicate what they did with Zobrist and Hill, flipping short-term pieces for longer-term assets such as Manaea and Montas, while keeping the team reasonably competitive in the process."

BULLPEN FAILURE

Headed to a more competent location
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The tweet seemed to hint at Story

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming into FA season almost 3 weeks ago, I wanted us to strike quickly. Let the other teams react to us. Of course, we refrained from doing so. Now, we may have to take the leftovers if we don't act really soon.
Another typical offseason

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of their targets are off the table yet

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of their targets are off the table yet
That doesn't affect what I said though. We did not strike quickly as I was hoping we would.

Now, whether that is costly or not, remains to be seen. All possibilities for those targets are still there.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let's all take a breather here. Still a few days before the deadline, plenty of time for a signing or three.
It's hard to sit back and take a breath, when other teams are making moves and the Rangers don't do squat. Like they usually do. I will not be surprised if they don't sign any top tier free agents. They have recent history of doing this.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't affect what I said though. We did not strike quickly as I was hoping we would.

Now, whether that is costly or not, remains to be seen. All possibilities for those targets are still there.

True, but the mood on the board seems to be leaning towards "the Rangers have screwed up the postseason," so I felt it was necessary to mention that all if their presumed targets are still available.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to sit back and take a breath, when other teams are making moves and the Rangers don't do squat. Like they usually do. I will not be surprised if they don't sign any top tier free agents. They have recent history of doing this.

There hasn't been a single player signed or traded that I was hoping the Rangers would land.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone heard anything on Suzuki?

wonder if we sign him what we could flip him for at the trade deadline?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So other clubs are obviously pursuing some of the players we want. But this tells me that we probably have offers out there but we have not overwhelmed as of yet. Bet when one of the bugs ones take things will move quicker minus Corea. Btw Seattle is planning on contending this season.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what date the FO has to be competitive again. They don't seem to be in a hurry. One ace one SS and one OF should not be difficult unless there is no need to rush.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what date the FO has to be competitive again. They don't seem to be in a hurry. One ace one SS and one OF should not be difficult unless there is no need to rush.

Lots of cogs in this machine. Rangers can't rush decisions that players are making except with a significant overpay, and we shouldn't want them doing that.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of cogs in this machine. Rangers can't rush decisions that players are making except with a significant overpay, and we shouldn't want them doing that.
Well we have a habit of low balling too and hopefully they have not started that again.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we have a habit of low balling too and hopefully they have not started that again.
i'm afraid it's in their blood to low-ball every offer and then feint astonishment when the player opts for more years and money

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't think it's as widespread as most seem to think, and also they've stated their intent to spend. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think it's as widespread as most seem to think, and also they've stated their intent to spend. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
the problem is that other teams are thinking laterally while apparently the Rangers FO isn't. they have targets but instead of pursuing all at the same time they are keying on #1 on their pursuit list and then #2 and then #3.

i think that's what happened with Rendon. he was their #1 target and by the time they knew he was signing with LAA their other possible targets had already signed

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said we would pay market value. Might need to sweeten the pot though although at least the dollar goes further in TX
We are competing with the rest of the league for the best players. Nothing is a given. We shall see if the CY mantra is believed.
And of course the CBA and it’s uncertainty complicates