• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brendan Rogers too.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have learned to ignore the nolanwritin guy.

Yeah I have too. No doubt
Always a decent little read though.
I think he’s off point on some things though.

Like this article where he has Robbie Ray “settling” with the Rangers for $45/3 years.
I believe Ray will get paid much more and for longer.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some excerpts from Jeff Wilson's article today.

The final out of the World Series winds the offseason clock. All players become free agents the next day, and five days after the World Series they can begin negotiating with all 30 teams. ...

It’s prediction time, but first an explanation of one factor that could determine which way the Rangers could go.

Even though there is labor unrest, the qualifying offer remains in effect this offseason. A team that signs a player who rejected a qualifying offer must surrender draft-pick compensation.

For the Rangers, they would surrender their second-round pick and the next-highest pick for any subsequent signings of players who were given the qualifying offer. Only players who spent the entire season with the same team are eligible for a qualifying offer.

That and the compensation piece are very important to a team that has the No. 3 overall draft choice.

Now, it’s prediction time.

Seager might be the best fit because he bats left-handed, and the Rangers risk becoming too right-handed in future seasons. Top prospects Josh Jung, Justin Foscue, Sam Huff and Ezequiel Duran are righty hitters. So are Bubba Thompson, Davis Wendzel, Blaine Crim, Luisangel Acuna, Bayron Lora and Max Acosta.

Granted, the last three aren’t as close to the majors. The Rangers do have lefty-hitting prospects — Dustin Harris, Aaron Zavala, Josh Smith and Evan Carter.

Maybe the Rangers see the left-right imbalance working itself out, especially if switch hitters Leody Taveras and Johan Heim become long-term pieces.

The thought here remains that Story ends up with the Rangers. It’s not just the local tie-ins for the Irving native and Colleyville resident, but he has also hit well at Globe Life Field and loves the ballpark. Having never won in Colorado, he might have a little more patience to take 2022 as another rebuilding season.

Story isn’t the oldest of the five free-agent shortstops, but he’s not the youngest (he turns 29 on Nov. 15). He’s in his prime and athletic enough to play another position if need be.

Maybe it makes too much sense, but that’s my call. But one thing to keep in mind: Baez, who was traded from the Chicago Cubs to the New York Mets at the deadline, would not cost the Rangers a draft pick.

Seager might be the best fit because he bats left-handed, and the Rangers risk becoming too right-handed in future seasons. Top prospects Josh Jung, Justin Foscue, Sam Huff and Ezequiel Duran are righty hitters. So are Bubba Thompson, Davis Wendzel, Blaine Crim, Luisangel Acuna, Bayron Lora and Max Acosta.

Granted, the last three aren’t as close to the majors. The Rangers do have lefty-hitting prospects — Dustin Harris, Aaron Zavala, Josh Smith and Evan Carter.

Maybe the Rangers see the left-right imbalance working itself out, especially if switch hitters Leody Taveras and Johan Heim become long-term pieces.

The thought here remains that Story ends up with the Rangers. It’s not just the local tie-ins for the Irving native and Colleyville resident, but he has also hit well at Globe Life Field and loves the ballpark. Having never won in Colorado, he might have a little more patience to take 2022 as another rebuilding season.

Story isn’t the oldest of the five free-agent shortstops, but he’s not the youngest (he turns 29 on Nov. 15). He’s in his prime and athletic enough to play another position if need be.

Maybe it makes too much sense, but that’s my call. But one thing to keep in mind: Baez, who was traded from the Chicago Cubs to the New York Mets at the deadline, would not cost the Rangers a draft pick. ...

An outfielder​

If the Rangers are going to cough up a draft pick on a shortstop, they aren’t going to surrender two of them. That gives them with four options in the outfield: Kris Bryant, Kyle Schwarber, Starling Marte and Seiya Suzuki.

Bryant and Suzuki bat right-handed and can play other positions, though Suzuki hasn’t played anything other than right field the past few seasons. Bryant played six positions this season.

One of them was left field, where the Rangers would seem to have the biggest opening in the outfield. Schwarber isn’t particularly good defensively, which goes against the Rangers’ goal of having elite outfield defense across the board.

He’s also a lefty hitter who has played some at first base but might be better suited at designated hitter. The Rangers also need offense more than they need anything else.

That’s why they might consider the 33-year-old Marte, who could jump to the top of the batting order with his hit/speed combination. Adding Marte would take pressure off Taveras, who could continue to develop lower in the batting order.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from Jeff Wilson.

Starting pitcher​

This isn’t the year for the Rangers to go crazy in the rotation, but they need pitchers to get them through another season until the top prospects are ready to contribute for a full season.

There are several names to kick around, including Jordan Lyles. He had a nice September and threw 180 innings, but the Rangers told him he’s not at the top of their list.

Two pitchers who might be affordable and might have a place past 2022 are right-hander Jon Gray and left-hander Steven Matz. They will be 30 on Opening Day, and might only need contracts similar to Lance Lynn and Kyle Gibson (three years, around $30 million). A shorter deal could give them another go-round at free agency before retiring. ...

However, the Colorado Rockies and Toronto Blue Jays have mulled extending qualifying offers to Gray and Matz, and they’d be nuts to not accept them at $18.4 million after making $6 million and $5.2 million in 2021.

The Rangers would be nuts to surrender a draft pick to sign either one should they reject a qualifying offer.

Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez is an interesting case. He might not receive a qualifying offer from the Boston Red Sox, who paid him only $8.3 million in 2021. It might take more than three years to get him, but his contract might be relatively affordable compared to others on the market.

The Rangers will sign two starting pitchers this offseason. Gray might not be as attractive as thought, with better numbers at Coors Field in Denver than on the road. Matz and Rodriguez would benefit from pitching in the American League West rather than in the hitter-friendly AL East ballparks.

That said, and keeping the big picture in mind, the guess here is the Rangers sign Matz and re-sign Lyles.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the Rangers have no business signing a starting pitcher to a three year deal. Either sign an ace for a longterm deal at some point or sign a guy to a one year deal.

I would be in favor of not signing any or if they just have to, then sign one guy to a one year deal.

We have multiple young guys to serve as a bridge to guys like Winn, Leiter, Vanasco and White.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m ok with a 3 year deal if it makes sense. Only for the simple reason that if they are doing well and so are our prospects then trade the guy at the trade deadline in 2023. If our team is crushing it then I’m glad we got them. Id rather spend a little more for a good product on a 3 year deal with the potential to flip him for prospects vs signing scrubs on 1 year $8-$12 million deals over the next few off seasons just to eat innings.
Those are the worst signings to me
I wouldn’t mind Starling Marte for the same reason.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m ok with a 3 year deal if it makes sense. Only for the simple reason that if they are doing well and so are our prospects then trade the guy at the trade deadline in 2023. Id rather spend a little more for a good product on a 3 year deal with the potential to flip him for prospects vs signing scrubs on 1 year $8-$12 million deals over the next few off seasons just to eat innings.
Those are the worst signings to me
I am in favor of just going with what we have.

What if you sign a guy to a three year deal and he is more Folty than Minor or Gibson?

I wouldn't mind signing a guy or two to a minor league deal and bring them, and Arihara, up when it gets time to shut down pitchers in late August.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless the Rangers are going to sign a SP. Probably not a huge splash. I doubt if it is more than a 2 year deal

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless the Rangers are going to sign a SP. Probably not a huge splash. I doubt if it is more than a 2 year deal
Yeah, I have resigned myself to the strong probability that they will sign at leat one innings eater. I just hope they limit it to one guy with a one year contract.

They could make it work with the guys they have plus a couple of guys on minor league deals, but it would take a lot of planning to make it work out. The innings eater route makes it much easier to figure the innings out. I think they will go the easy-to-figure-out route.

As long as Otto, Alexy, Hearn, and Dunning all get 140 to 150 innings or more then everything should be okay. If some short term acquisition keeps that from happening then that will be a big mistake.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondered what past connection the Rangers had with Ecker because almost everyone they hire has a past connection it seems. We drafted him in 2007. He played for us for part of two seasons.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I have resigned myself to the strong probability that they will sign at leat one innings eater. I just hope they limit it to one guy with a one year contract.

They could make it work with the guys they have plus a couple of guys on minor league deals, but it would take a lot of planning to make it work out. The innings eater route makes it much easier to figure the innings out. I think they will go the easy-to-figure-out route.

As long as Otto, Alexy, Hearn, and Dunning all get 140 to 150 innings or more then everything should be okay. If some short term acquisition keeps that from happening then that will be a big mistake.
Yea we want our new guys to get innings. Do think injuries happen so to be prepared is not a bad thing and if some of these innings are at AAA. Not all together a bad thing

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if some of these innings are at AAA. Not all together a bad thing
You see, that is the same way I feel, only I feel that way about the innings eaters. Sign them to minor league contracts and then bring them up as necessary.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea we want our new guys to get innings. Do think injuries happen so to be prepared is not a bad thing and if some of these innings are at AAA. Not all together a bad thing
If it is Rodriguez, Henriquez or Kent then I agree that they need most of their innings at the minor league level.

For guys like Otto, Allard, Dunning, Hearn and Alexy we need to find out about them this year before our top pitching prospects come on board. The same can be said for Palumbo, Burke and eventually Cody. Those 8 guys only need time in the minors so we can lessen their innings.

It is a shame that Hans Crouse isn't part of this discussion.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it is Rodriguez, Henriquez or Kent then I agree that they need most of their innings at the minor league level.

For guys like Otto, Allard, Dunning, Hearn and Alexy we need to find out about them this year before our top pitching prospects come on board. The same can be said for Palumbo, Burke and eventually Cody. Those 8 guys only need time in the minors so we can lessen their innings.

which is why i think we need a quality FA SP not just some inning eater like Folty. i want something like this:

1. FA
2. Hearn
3. Dunning
4. Allard or Latz
5a. Alexy
5b. Otto

5a/5b which will split time in an opener/main rotation

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see, that is the same way I feel, only I feel that way about the innings eaters. Sign them to minor league contracts and then bring them up as necessary.
Yes that is very doable maybe even better to trade or sign a AA with upside. Good thought

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I for one think Allard is only a placeholder. And Howard is fine with me to start and refine in AAA

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one think Allard is only a placeholder. And Howard is fine with me to start and refine in AAA
I am fine with Allard being a placeholder. He can still eat some innings in 2022. In fact, most of those guys I mentioned are placeholders for our best pitching prospects.