• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No future meriting on the schedule? Sad

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the MLBPA has already vetoed the use of an arbitrator.
Technically it was a government mediator. I wish it could get fairly arbitrated. That would be the fast track IMO

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically it was a government mediator. I wish it could get fairly arbitrated. That would be the fast track IMO
I am just interested in what each side's best offer would be if someone had to choose between the two best offers. In negotiations like these you never see a best offer until some real deadline surfaces. It would be a much shorter process if each side had to approach it the way they approach salary arbitration.

I would respect the party who just came out and said here is a much improved offer. It is the best we will offer. If you don't agree within 48 hours we will take it off the table and be done with making offers. Take it or leave it. We are through playing games.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Young could somehow bring back either Nolan Ryan, Chuck Greenberg, or Joaquin Benoit in some sort of assistant role; or get Nelson Cruz signed, then we would finally know that he can do whatever he wants to do without JD approving. I am not saying he is or isn't able to do that now, but bringing back any of those guys would definitely prove he could.

Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, I am not saying we should or shouldn't bring any of them back.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just interested in what each side's best offer would be if someone had to choose between the two best offers. In negotiations like these you never see a best offer until some real deadline surfaces. It would be a much shorter process if each side had to approach it the way they approach salary arbitration.

I would respect the party who just came out and said here is a much improved offer. It is the best we will offer. If you don't agree within 48 hours we will take it off the table and be done with making offers. Take it or leave it. We are through playing games.
or someone looks at both and chooses something in the middle

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Chris Young could somehow bring back either Nolan Ryan, Chuck Greenberg, or Joaquin Benoit in some sort of assistant role; or get Nelson Cruz signed, then we would finally know that he can do whatever he wants to do without JD approving. I am not saying he is or isn't able to do that now, but bringing back any of those guys would definitely prove he could.

Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, I am not saying we should or shouldn't bring any of them back.
I see no evidence of animosity between JD and Nolan. Lol

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, what should the limit be? injures happen and spots have to be filled and sometimes they occur 2, 3 or 4 times a season. especially in a season, if there is one, that is shortened like this one apparently will be.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson writes about the Rangers approach to the draft.

"We've still got time to figure this out,” Fagg said. “I'm not even thinking about who we might take at 3. We have a long runway here.”

The Rangers cast a wide net, Fagg said. They take a deep dive on a player’s makeup, trying to get to know as much about him as possible. That means talking to parents, teammates, coaches and teachers.

If anything has changed under Fagg’s guidance since he started overseeing Rangers drafts in 2010, it’s that he has placed a higher value of the quality of the person the Rangers are selecting.

“That stuff really means something,” he said.

There might also be a perception based on the past three years that the Rangers are playing it safe at the top of the draft after a shift in philosophy by president of baseball operations Jon Daniels. Josh Jung (No. 8, 2019), Justin Foscue (No. 14, 2020) and Jack Leiter (No. 2, 2021) are exhibits A, B and C.

But the Rangers went with only preps to finish the five-round 2020 draft, and used their third-, fourth and fifth-round picks in 2021 on high schools players Cam Cauley, Ian Moller and Mitch Bratt.

“I know JD's mentioned in recent years about our tolerance for risk and maybe we're a little more risk-averse,” said Josh Boyd, assistant general manager over scouting. “But even then I think it's just an awareness of how we make some of those decisions and when and where we make some of those choices and take different levels of risk in the draft.”

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mediator/arbitrator same thing
Sorry can t let this pass. (Past legal background)

Mediators go in and worn with both parties but no one is obligated to come to an agreement
Nothing is binding

Arbitration is when an outside party comes in and forces an agreement/judgement. It is binding

Just like in baseball when the arbitrator can make a decision on a figure for players 2 years out of free agency. They decide

I just hope this thing settles soon but it looks like it is still dragging out

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Wilson writes about the Rangers approach to the draft.

"We've still got time to figure this out,” Fagg said. “I'm not even thinking about who we might take at 3. We have a long runway here.”

The Rangers cast a wide net, Fagg said. They take a deep dive on a player’s makeup, trying to get to know as much about him as possible. That means talking to parents, teammates, coaches and teachers.

If anything has changed under Fagg’s guidance since he started overseeing Rangers drafts in 2010, it’s that he has placed a higher value of the quality of the person the Rangers are selecting.

“That stuff really means something,” he said.

There might also be a perception based on the past three years that the Rangers are playing it safe at the top of the draft after a shift in philosophy by president of baseball operations Jon Daniels. Josh Jung (No. 8, 2019), Justin Foscue (No. 14, 2020) and Jack Leiter (No. 2, 2021) are exhibits A, B and C.

But the Rangers went with only preps to finish the five-round 2020 draft, and used their third-, fourth and fifth-round picks in 2021 on high schools players Cam Cauley, Ian Moller and Mitch Bratt.

“I know JD's mentioned in recent years about our tolerance for risk and maybe we're a little more risk-averse,” said Josh Boyd, assistant general manager over scouting. “But even then I think it's just an awareness of how we make some of those decisions and when and where we make some of those choices and take different levels of risk in the draft.”
Yes I am glad their philosophy changed. Super high ceiling yet risky for 1st round picks have burned them.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way around a floor is quite interesting and I see the loophole

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok we have Super Bowl Sunday and after this eyes should be on baseball.

Bad look for the great game

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1644793021575.png

Looking at that chart makes me want to hang onto all of our prospects and not trade any of them lol.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one addresses the overpaid players on the back end of contracts. That was always supposed to offset the problem the players are wanting addressed.

Reactions: DTC

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one addresses the overpaid players on the back end of contracts. That was always supposed to offset the problem the players are wanting addressed.

Media surely does not. They seem to be anti owners minus a couple

Yes these players cashed in just like the owners

But we don’t have to take a side. I brought up old time players who sacrificed for the game and have been shut out in their retirement years.
As a working man I once could easily afford the prices now I feel like it is a luxury I do nor want to.

The game became business except what was on the field so far business has trumped baseball the game.

So I don’t feel any injustice to the players or sympathize with owners who want to withhold minor leaguers ST pay.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3