• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2021 - 2022 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I can tell, Adam's point was that ESPN was overrating Nolan Ryan on some "best of" list, and underrating Beltre on the same list. My big takeaway is that this just reinforces my opinion that ESPN is complete shit when it comes to baseball overall.
East coast bias.
Would love to see stats on early Nolan.
My impression was he was more wild back then and aged like fine wine.
We under appreciate the workhorses. Relievers are an entirely different class

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Nolan battled the hitters. We don’t see that toughness enough. That is why I liked Lynn and even Colby. They went toe to toe with hitters

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is MLB Pipeline's #100 draft prospect currently.

Jurrangelo

Cijntje

BHP, Champagnat (FL)

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 45 | Slider: 55 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

If you’re looking for perhaps the most unique player in the 2022 Draft class, Cijntje might be it. The native of Curacao, who pitched for his home country in the Little League World Series in 2016, now calls southern Florida home and is a legitimate pitching prospect from both sides. He showed improvement both left-handed and right-handed over the course of the summer, finishing off with a strong showing at Perfect Game’s World Wood Bat Association World Championship in Jupiter, Fla., in the fall.

A bit undersized at 5-foot-11, Cijntje’s better pure stuff does come from the right side. He throws his fastball right-handed in the 92-96 mph range with a sharp slider that has the chance to miss bats. Left-handed, Cijntje tops out currently at around 88-89 mph with his heater. His breaking ball is a softer curve and doesn’t have the bite his right-handed slider does, but he can land it for strikes.

The Mississippi State recruit doesn’t have a changeup to speak of, though being able to actually switch-pitch might negate the need for the pitch, at least for the time being. Scouts were impressed that while he struggled to get left-handed hitters out early at the East Coast Professional Showcase, he was much sharper with both hands by the time he pitched in Jupiter. Pat Venditte is the last switch-pitcher to touch the big leagues, but Cijntje is a much more legitimate pitching prospect from both sides than he ever was.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East coast bias.
His first season with California, when he was 25 years old, was phenomenal.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Beltre may be underrated on a national level, but it has nothing at all to do with any other player and certainly not Nolan.

I can't remember seeing any national media ever overrate Nolan. Some around here overrated him as a member of the front office, but many underrated him in that capacity also.

This is why "Top 50 of all-time" or whatever lists are pointless, in my opinion. Rank SP's against SP's, etc.

By any metric, Beltre is a top 5 all-time 3B. He is certainly not spoken about that way by the majority, but he should be.

When it comes to SP's, they're measured differently. You can make a case for Nolan being Top 10 all-time. But I think you can also make a case where he misses that cut. But he's in the discussion, so either way he's an all-time great.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why "Top 50 of all-time" or whatever lists are pointless, in my opinion. Rank SP's against SP's, etc.

By any metric, Beltre is a top 5 all-time 3B. He is certainly not spoken about that way by the majority, but he should be.

When it comes to SP's, they're measured differently. You can make a case for Nolan being Top 10 all-time. But I think you can also make a case where he misses that cut. But he's in the discussion, so either way he's an all-time great.
That is a great way to look at it.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East coast bias.

When it comes to pure stats, Nolan is an incredible study.

But my favorite has to be that his last pitch was 98 MPH.

At age 46.

With a torn ligament.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The world premiere of Facing Nolan, a documentary, is set for next month at the annual South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin.

“We’ve got an incredible film,” Reid Ryan said.

Nolan’s sons Reid and Reese are among the executive producers of Facing Nolan, which in part is what it sounds like it would be — hitters who faced Ryan during his Hall of Fame career.

But the documentary also features plenty of Ryan, who these days is out of baseball and lives in Georgetown. Scenes were shot in Arlington, Houston and the Austin area.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants have signed RHPs Luis Ortiz and Wei-Chieh Huang to minor-league contracts.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

The world premiere of Facing Nolan, a documentary, is set for next month at the annual South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin.

Nolan’s sons Reid and Reese are among the executive producers of Facing Nolan, which in part is what it sounds like it would be — hitters who faced Ryan during his Hall of Fame career.

But the documentary also features plenty of Ryan, who these days is out of baseball and lives in Georgetown. Scenes were shot in Arlington, Houston and the Austin area.

I wonder if he is in that Del Webb community where my Mom lived. Nice spot

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I am a guessing man the union wants big progress for the younger players to get to their payday sooner and incentivize better teams put in field as opposed to letting young guys play and develop at the MLB level.

There has to be a monitory incentive to win for players and especially owners. What is accomplished may prove very interesting

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jeff Wilson:

Want to see that.