• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come? You think he'll miss a car payment or something?

He's getting a lotto type pay-check every year and his children & children's children will benefit from this.
never took an economics class?

a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Evan grant, the rangers big competition for Rendon is the LA dodgers.

Anyone else surprised by this? If I was the dodgers, My main focus would be Cole. Their lineup isn’t the problem, they need more starting pitching. Especially with ryu a free agent and Kershaw with back issues.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deferral lessens value almost 17 million

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Evan grant, the rangers big competition for Rendon is the LA dodgers.

Anyone else surprised by this? If I was the dodgers, My main focus would be Cole. Their lineup isn’t the problem, they need more starting pitching. Especially with ryu a free agent and Kershaw with back issues.
The Dodgers also need BP help but the Yankees have a SP problem as well. That could be a serious bidding war there if the Dodgers went after Cole as well. But you are right in that is what they need.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never took an economics class?

a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow

Gosh, thanks for the lesson fella.

In most cases the players representatives - who have had lessons in economics - have the money in the market, thus hopefully having the money actually growing.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Donaldson Increasingly Seen As Candidate For 4-Year Deal

By Jeff Todd | December 9, 2019 at 2:58pm CDT

Veteran third bagger Josh Donaldson is an unsurprisingly popular target through this stage of the market development. The interest has been so robust that he may even secure a four-year guarantee. We’ve seen the suggestion bandied about in recent days, but MLB.com’s Mark Bowman now reports (via Twitter) that it’s becoming a “growing expectation” that Donaldson will get the fourth campaign.

That length of contract wouldn’t be surprising at all for a player of Donaldson’s stature … were it not for the fact that he just turned 34 yesterday. Ben Zobrist did secure a four-year term a few years back, but more recent free agents have faced greater headwinds in securing promised cash into their late-thirties. And Donaldson seems all but certain to command a much loftier annual salary than Zobrist did.

As it turns out, though, interest in Donaldson is quite robust. While numerous clubs are still grappling over top third baseman Anthony Rendon, only one will get him. Donaldson is far senior to Rendon but was even better at his peak. While the former is no longer a perennial MVP candidate, he easily outperformed the one-year, $23MM bounceback contract he took last season with the Braves and seems a good bet to deliver big production for years to come.

Donaldson hit a ton in his 659 plate appearances in 2019, turning in a .259/.379/.521 slash with 37 homers. He did all that while providing value in the field, with Defensive Runs Saved taking a particularly bullish view. As important was the fact that he played that extensively at all. Donaldson had appeared in 165 contests over the prior two seasons but went the distance in 2019.

Entering the winter, MLBTR predicted that Donaldson would secure a $75MM guarantee over three seasons. If he’s able to get that fourth guaranteed year, it may be at a somewhat lesser single-season rate of pay. But it’s also now conceivable he could threaten nine figures in his next contract.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if he is but having seen Mendez I can only hope. Mendez has been a bust since day one
Well, you said, "good" about the signing and then responded negatively to Mendez.

Comparing those two as relievers, one has 27 innings pitched in the big leagues and one has 36.2 innings in the big leagues. As a reliever one has an ERA of 5.40, and the other one has an ERA as a reliever of 5.40.

Both are extremely inexperienced and untried as relief pitchers in the big keagues, and yet you have already come to the conclusion that one is good to acquire and the other one is a bust.

By the way, Mendez has a WHIP of 1.50 as a reliever and Joely has a WHIP of 1.74 as a reliever.

Do you really think 27 innings as a reliever is enough to declare a pitcher a bust?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you said, "good" about the signing and then responded negatively to Mendez.

Comparing those two as relievers, one has 27 innings pitched in the big leagues and one has 36.2 innings in the big leagues. As a reliever one has an ERA of 5.40, and the other one has an ERA as a reliever of 5.40.

Both are extremely inexperienced and untried as relief pitchers in the big keagues, and yet you have already come to the conclusion that one is good to acquire and the other one is a bust.

By the way, Mendez has a WHIP of 1.50 as a reliever and Joely has a WHIP of 1.74 as a reliever.

Do you really think 27 innings as a reliever is enough to declare a pitcher a bust?
so how many times are we going to put Mendez in a roster spot before we give up on him? 3 seasons? 5 seasons? what's the cutoff?
I am not saying good and meaning Rodriquez is better. what i'm meaning is good another LH reliever who might have something better to give the team than what we have.
I wouldn't be opposed to the Rangers adding a couple more LH reliever types. we are going to probably carry 8 relievers with 6 already basically set with Chavez, Clase, Goody, Leclerc, Montero as RH relievers and Martin as the only LH reliever

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am always open to a good trade, but it doesn't make sense to me to trade Mazara and keep Choo.
it doesn't make sense to me to keep both and I would also include DDJ. we have Calhoun basically set in LF and Gallo should be set in RF with either a free agent, trade or Santana in CF. we can't do that with Mazara, Choo and DDJ tying up outfield positions

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so how many times are we going to put Mendez in a roster spot before we give up on him? 3 seasons? 5 seasons? what's the cutoff?
I am not saying good and meaning Rodriquez is better. what i'm meaning is good another LH reliever who might have something better to give the team than what we have.
I wouldn't be opposed to the Rangers adding a couple more LH reliever types. we are going to probably carry 8 relievers with 6 already basically set with Chavez, Clase, Goody, Leclerc, Montero as RH relievers and Martin as the only LH reliever
He has barely occupied a roster spot at all and a lot of that was when he was still a starter. He has pitched less than 50 innings in both roles combined in the big leagues. Lol

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it doesn't make sense to me to keep both and I would also include DDJ. we have Calhoun basically set in LF and Gallo should be set in RF with either a free agent, trade or Santana in CF. we can't do that with Mazara, Choo and DDJ tying up outfield positions
Choo and DeShields should both be gone, but I am willing to keep DeShields as a bench player if we need to.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo and DeShields should both be gone, but I am willing to keep DeShields as a bench player if we need to.
Heineman seems to be a better answer as a 4th OF'er because he can play all 3 positions plus he can play 1st base. DDJ is basically a CF'er

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh, thanks for the lesson fella.

In most cases the players representatives - who have had lessons in economics - have the money in the market, thus hopefully having the money actually growing.

Bobby Bonilla loves deferred money