• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. If we get him we can set one course. If we don't we will be forced to set a different course that takes a little longer.
not my idea but if we don't get Rendon we could consider trading for Kris Bryant

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if we sign Rendon, if we don't sign Rendon, if we sign another pitcher, don't sign another pitcher, trade Minor, keep Minor, those are all scenarios you mentioned, I just don't know which you are talking about at any given time

I was assuming your scenario included Rendon coming here and then when you responded it seemed that wasn't the case
You were assuming wrong then. The beginning of this conversation with Scotty began with if we don't sign Rendon, Cole, or Strasburg.

If we don't get one of those we could get another starting pitcher(2 more in all) and still have money left over.

It is Minor on one side of the ledger. On the other side of the ledger is a FA starting pitcher, another FA that we get with the left over money and very possibly a player from the Minor trade that can play this year.

No high dollar FA are a part of the 2020 team in that scenario. That means we are not going anywhere barring something very unforeseen.

To me, even if we don't win more games in 2020 than last year it is okay if the return for Minor is good. That is another very big caveat that I added in the early stages of this discussion with Scotty, the return for Minor(or Lynn) has to be a very good return. I spoke of that team as being desperate to acquire Minor.

I mentioned the possibility of winning a few more games under my scenario because Scotty seemed to want that very badly. To me it is no big deal. That probably depends on what we get in the trade. I certainly wouldn't want a lesser player simply because he would be ready in 2020 as opposed to 2021.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not my idea but if we don't get Rendon we could consider trading for Kris Bryant
Yeah, I saw that.

That reminds me, I was wrong about not being able to trade Wendzel or Jung yet. I guess they changed that rule. Jung and Winn were a part of the proposed trade for Bryant.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were assuming wrong then. The beginning of this conversation with Scotty began with if we don't sign Rendon, Cole, or Strasburg.

If we don't get one of those we could get another starting pitcher(2 more in all) and still have money left over.

It is Minor on one side of the ledger. On the other side of the ledger is a FA starting pitcher, another FA that we get with the left over money and very possibly a player from the Minor trade that can play this year.

No high dollar FA are a part of the 2020 team in that scenario. That means we are not going anywhere barring something very unforeseen.

To me, even if we don't win more games in 2020 than last year it is okay if the return for Minor is good. That is another very big caveat that I added in the early stages of this discussion with Scotty, the return for Minor(or Lynn) has to be a very good return. I spoke of that team as being desperate to acquire Minor.

I mentioned the possibility of winning a few more games under my scenario because Scotty seemed to want that very badly. To me it is no big deal. That probably depends on what we get in the trade. I certainly wouldn't want a lesser player simply because he would be ready in 2020 as opposed to 2021.
winning more indicates improvement. we stunk at defense at virtually every infield position and the bottom of our batting order was virtually guaranteed series of outs. sending away our starting pitcher the return better be better than good

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I saw that.

That reminds me, I was wrong about not being able to trade Wendzel or Jung yet. I guess they changed that rule. Jung and Winn were a part of the proposed trade for Bryant.
personally not crazy about Bryant but now Contreras is a different story

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler left a pretty big hole too.

you’re right. Second base hasn’t been nearly as good since he was traded.

we thought profar could do it. Nope

management still thinks odor can do it. Nope

Hanser Alberto is probably a better player than both of those jokers. We had him, but nobody saw that coming.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers signing Jordan Lyles. 2 years $16M
Minor
Lynn
Gibson
Lyles
Paulumbo/Allard/Burke

If we don't get Rendon it will be very interesting to see if they sign another higher valued pitcher. If that happens do they just send all the young guys down or do they trade one of the tradable pitchers.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story about us signing Lyles on mlbtraderumors suggested we had been in on Howie Kendricks.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So like i said, i was confused about the scenario, bc i missed the initial premise. lots of scenarios are being discussed at any given moment

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So like i said, i was confused about the scenario, bc i missed the initial premise. lots of scenarios are being discussed at any given moment
Yeah, once something has went back and forth 2 or 3 times it is easy to come into it and miss something. Then to murky the waters further me and you had discussed another completely different scenario regarding trading Minor just a couple of days ago. Lots of room for confusion.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From mlbtraderumors:

This type of deal for Lyles would have been unthinkable just a couple months ago. The 29-year-old struggled through the first half of 2019 as a member of the Pirates, with whom he posted a dismal 5.36 ERA across 82 1/3 innings. But Lyles turned his season (and maybe his career) around after the Brewers acquired him from the Pirates before the July 31 trade deadline. The Milwaukee version of Lyles put up a stellar 2.45 ERA over 58 2/3 innings, though the rest of his numbers weren’t really all that impressive. Lyles logged 9.8 K/9, 3.6 BB/9 and a 4.79 FIP as a Pirate, and he recorded 8.6 K/9, 3.4 BB/9 and a 4.42 FIP after heading to the Brewers.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor
Lynn
Gibson
Lyles
Paulumbo/Allard/Burke

If we don't get Rendon it will be very interesting to see if they sign another higher valued pitcher. If that happens do they just send all the young guys down or do they trade one of the tradable pitchers.
What about 3rd if they don't get Rendon? I would think that higher valued pitchers might be turned off by the defense that would be behind them with us. We ranked pretty low at every position

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rangers signed 2 under the radar starters with upside while not breaking the bank. I like this actually. These moves make it so we don’t have to rely on “ the kids”. I mean palumbo, Burke, and Hearn can now go to triple A and get more seasoning without having to worry about being called up for an extended period of time.

allard will probably be the #5 guy. He’s a pretty good #4 or #5 from what I saw last year. The kid is a fighter and he doesn’t just walk people.

They didn’t try to get Ryu or Bumgarner because then we wouldn’t be able to afford Rendon.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, once something has went back and forth 2 or 3 times it is easy to come into it and miss something. Then to murky the waters further me and you had discussed another completely different scenario regarding trading Minor just a couple of days ago. Lots of room for confusion.

Thanks for understanding my confusion