• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't sign Rendon to hang with the A's and the Rays. You sign Rendon to hang with the Astros and the Yankees. And signing Rendon doesn't achieve that.
Well Rendon was a cornerstone piece and I wanted him but yes the sky is not falling. Hard to predict the future.

Maybe a year of good pitching may make our team more attractive on the FA market. Players will sign where they think they have the best chance at winning if there is at least comparable money.

I would have preferred to see a 7 year deal up front but it is wild speculation that he froze out the Rangers because of that. And then not allow any more negotiation. Sounds like he just preferred sunny California with Trout and Ohani

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Rendon was a cornerstone piece and I wanted him but yes the sky is not falling. Hard to predict the future.

Maybe a year of good pitching may make our team more attractive on the FA market. Players will sign where they think they have the best chance at winning if there is at least comparable money.

I would have preferred to see a 7 year deal up front but it is wild speculation that he froze out the Rangers because of that. And then not allow any more negotiation. Sounds like he just preferred sunny California with Trout and Ohani
Now, that's some very wild speculation.

Sounds like JD blew it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that David Price can get traded with his bloated contract proves that you can trade bad contracts. The fact that a NL team signed Castellanos proves that even a weak defensive OF like Choo can be traded to NL teans.

We have hung onto a couple of guys with bad contracts because we wanted to keep them.
But they traded an elite player along with the bad contract. Plus Boston is paying 16 mill of Price's contract.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they traded an elite player along with the bad contract. Plus Boston is paying 16 mill of Price's contract.
Paying a substantial part of either of their salaries could have made trading either one of them possible. No elite player would have been necessary. Other players with bad contracts have been traded at times without elite players being packaged with them. My point is that both have been tradeable.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying a substantial part of either of their salaries could have made trading either one of them possible. No elite player would have been necessary. Other players with bad contracts have been traded at times without elite players being packaged with them. My point is that both have been tradeable.
I was referring to your scenario. I mean we traded A-Rod but was burdened with part of his contract for quite some time. Anyone can be traded is true if you want to get carried away.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to your scenario. I mean we traded A-Rod but was burdened with part of his contract for quite some time. Anyone can be traded is true if you want to get carried away.
The last 2 or 3 years of a much lesser contract would be much different than ARod though.

I do think it is important to see that even a NL club will put up with lesser defense in the OF than we sometimes think they will.

In essence, I think it would have been much easier to work out a Choo or Odor trade than some have argued. Some seem to think that because we didn't do so that it was because it was too difficult to do so. I think in both cases it was more of a case where management simply didn't want to trade them.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers have checked in on Cameron Maybin

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, the sky is not falling, nor do I think anyone here is that far along with their displeasure.

But what many of us wanted to see this offseason were some signings (or at the very least one signing) that was done in building the club’s foundation to be a winner. And all JD has done has sign stop-gap solutions and reclamation projects. What long-term vision has there been in any of the signings? Which player that they brought in will be around in 3-5 years when the team is ready to compete? The ONLY move that has been made with an eye to the future was getting rid of Mazara to clear up the logjam in the outfield.

It’s fine that we’re not ready to compete this season. I don’t think anyone here thinks that JD could have magically signed 5-6 guys and made us World Series favorites. But his lack of moves with an eye to the future signify that the team has not only waived the white flag on this season but also written off the offseason as a time to build toward the future. JD basically put decent players in place at all the spots so that we could field a team this season which wouldn’t get laughed off the field. So we’re going to be a .500 team or slightly better. Signing Rendon, or trading for Arenado, or signing Castellanos, or trading for Bryant, or trading for Mancini, or signing Ozuna... any one of those moves or even one similar to them would have been a building block toward the future and at least a small step toward saying that we’re going to at least make an effort to be in the Wild Card mix this season.

As it stands now, we have a “core” for our future of Joey Gallo, and I guess you could include Willie Calhoun as well. Maybe Solak too if they find a position for him. That. Is. It. Every other last player on the entire roster is a question mark to even be here in 3-4 years from now. The rest of our “core” has yet to play a single inning at the Major League level. Maybe Jung/Huff/Winn/Crouse et al turn out to be elite studs and we’ll be a contender for years to come. But that’s an enormous maybe at this point. What is the front office doing to build anything long-term around that group and provide insurance should they fail? We’re just going through the motions right now. The worst thing you can be as a team in pro sports is average. You either need to be a contender or a bottom-feeder stockpiling young assets. We are in no-man’s land right now and, unlike other teams who seem to be at least trying to improve, it seems by our front office’s actions that we’re actually TRYING to be just “decent”.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, you are incredibly biased against the ownership and front office.
I didn't start out that way. Every feeling I have towards them has been earned by them. I still give them credit when credit is due. I do blame them when they blow it. Just because I refuse to make excuse after excuse for them doesn't mean I am biased.

I actually believed they were going to spend this offseason on a great player, and defended their intentions beforehand when Scotty doubted they would. I was either wrong about that or JD simply is a very bad negotiator.

Being unbiased means a fan will call them out for doing something wrong and give them credit when they do it right. There have been times down through the years where I have come to JD's defense. I haven't been able to do that in some time though. That doesn't make me biased; it means my eyes are open to the good and the bad. There has been a whole lot of bad over the past 6 years or so. There has still been some good as well.

For example, as much as I have blamed them for not taking Odor out of the lineup, it is to JD's credit that there are two players worth replacing Odor with, that weren"t here after the 2018 season. I have also given him credit for drafting better over the last few years.

He has done some things very, very badly though and I simply don't see it as my duty as a fan to downplay those things or look the other way or explain them away. If that makes me biased then we have a big disagreement as to what being biased means.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad to see Palymbi being appreciated.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he play the corner IF spots?

Ha No but Calhoun might be able to.

Seriously though Calhoun in CF might be one of the best moves so far. Hopefully no regression

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the sky is not falling, nor do I think anyone here is that far along with their displeasure.

But what many of us wanted to see this offseason were some signings (or at the very least one signing) that was done in building the club’s foundation to be a winner. And all JD has done has sign stop-gap solutions and reclamation projects. What long-term vision has there been in any of the signings? Which player that they brought in will be around in 3-5 years when the team is ready to compete? The ONLY move that has been made with an eye to the future was getting rid of Mazara to clear up the logjam in the outfield.

It’s fine that we’re not ready to compete this season. I don’t think anyone here thinks that JD could have magically signed 5-6 guys and made us World Series favorites. But his lack of moves with an eye to the future signify that the team has not only waived the white flag on this season but also written off the offseason as a time to build toward the future. JD basically put decent players in place at all the spots so that we could field a team this season which wouldn’t get laughed off the field. So we’re going to be a .500 team or slightly better. Signing Rendon, or trading for Arenado, or signing Castellanos, or trading for Bryant, or trading for Mancini, or signing Ozuna... any one of those moves or even one similar to them would have been a building block toward the future and at least a small step toward saying that we’re going to at least make an effort to be in the Wild Card mix this season.

As it stands now, we have a “core” for our future of Joey Gallo, and I guess you could include Willie Calhoun as well. Maybe Solak too if they find a position for him. That. Is. It. Every other last player on the entire roster is a question mark to even be here in 3-4 years from now. The rest of our “core” has yet to play a single inning at the Major League level. Maybe Jung/Huff/Winn/Crouse et al turn out to be elite studs and we’ll be a contender for years to come. But that’s an enormous maybe at this point. What is the front office doing to build anything long-term around that group and provide insurance should they fail? We’re just going through the motions right now. The worst thing you can be as a team in pro sports is average. You either need to be a contender or a bottom-feeder stockpiling young assets. We are in no-man’s land right now and, unlike other teams who seem to be at least trying to improve, it seems by our front office’s actions that we’re actually TRYING to be just “decent”.

Definitely no dynasty we have in the present and best Hope is a work in progress. Our IF being the worst of it Yes we needed a cornerstone piece like Rendon but a 2 year contract for Nolan A or Kris B would be a bad move

However there was significant pitching wise and out AAA depth is the best for quite w while.

The FO runs this like a business unfortunately for the fans although hey have made moves for what is thought to be final pieces.

Castellanos may have put us over the top for a WC berth, yes but we may still get another bat but Rendon is the big burn and that has put a damper on the rest of the progress made

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe being in a large market affords the Rangers to be avg on the field while transitioning from rebuild to playoffs while hanging onto their prospects. Smaller market teams will tank.
The 2020 draft in June will hopefully see the Rangers sign more college players
Maybe they can also get a legit international signing who is ready to step into the majors like José Aubreu or Ohtani.
If the team is .500 come July 31st I hope they trade Mike Minor, Jesse Chavez, and Choo. Get some ABs for Solak and Heinemann, some innings for Allard, Palumbo ect.
and most importantly, get some good prospects.
At the end of the season maybe go after a legit free agent or 2 to have them around come 2022-2027
Repeat 2020 season.
If not in contention come July trade the performers who will be free agents at the end of the year for prospects. Guys like Danny Santana, Lance Lynn, Kluber, Frazier, Chirinos and Lyles.
Going into 2022 hopefully there will be a lot of young guys knocking on the door.

C-Huff, Trevino, Florentino, Garcia
1B-Guzman, Terry, Wendzel,Draft, intl, FA
2B-Odor, Solak, Acosta, Apostel, Basabe
3B-Jung, Wendell, Apostel
SS-Andrus, Acosta, Basabe, Tejeda
OF- Calhoun, Gallo-extension, Heineman, Bayron Lora, Taveras, Thompson, Walker, Ornelas

1.Palumbo
2.Crouse
3.Winn
4.Allard
5.Burke
R Garcia, T Phillips, Ronny Henriquez, Yerry Rodriguez

plus guys from the 2017-2019 draft/intl signings who haven’t had a chance to shine yet, prospects they trade for and any FAs they sign.

Notable free agents for 2020-21

Catcher: J.T. Realmuto, Mike Zunino, Yadier Molina
First base: Matt Carpenter, C.J. Cron, Yuli Gurriel, Ryan Zimmerman
Second base: Starlin Castro, Jason Kipnis, Cesar Hernandez
Third base: Justin Turner, Zack Cozart, Jake Lamb
Shortstop: Andrelton Simmons, Jonathan Villar, Marcus Semien, Jurickson Profar
Outfield: Mookie Betts, George Springer, Yoenis Cespedes, David Peralta, Michael Brantley, Joc Pederson, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jay Bruce, Giancarlo Stanton (opt-out)
DH: Edwin Encarnacion
Starting pitchers: Jacob deGrom, Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta, Marcus Stroman, Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana
Relievers: Blake Treinen, Sean Doolittle, Jeremy Jeffress, Alex Colome, Brandon Morrow

Notable free agents for 2021-22

Catcher: Salvador Perez, Wilson Ramos, Yan Gomes
First base: Freddie Freeman, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Belt
Second base: Javier Baez, Kolten Wong, Dee Gordon
Third base: Kris Bryant, Eduardo Escobar, Travis Shaw, Miguel Sano
Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story
Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Kyle Schwarber, Byron Buxton
Starting pitchers: Aaron Nola, Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke Chris Archer, Mike Foltynewicz
Relievers: Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Brad Hand, Jeurys Familia, Corey Knebel, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Roberto Osuna

The stadium will fill this year because it’s new. The stadium will fill next year because it’s still new and they will probably have their first winning season in awhile.
2022-2027 should be good times
Hopefully the Astros will have fizzled out by then.

Last edited:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe being in a large market affords the Rangers to be avg on the field while transitioning from rebuild to playoffs while hanging onto their prospects. Smaller market teams will tank.
The 2020 draft in June will hopefully see the Rangers sign more college players
Maybe they can also get a legit international signing who is ready to step into the majors like José Aubreu or Ohtani.
If the team is .500 come July 31st I hope they trade Mike Minor, Jesse Chavez, and Choo. Get some ABs for Solak and Heinemann, some innings for Allard, Palumbo ect.
and most importantly, get some good prospects.
At the end of the season maybe go after a legit free agent or 2 to have them around come 2022-2027
Repeat 2020 season.
If not in contention come July trade the performers who will be free agents at the end of the year for prospects. Guys like Danny Santana, Lance Lynn, Kluber, Frazier, Chirinos and Lyles.
Going into 2022 hopefully there will be a lot of young guys knocking on the door.

C-Huff, Trevino, Florentino, Garcia
1B-Guzman, Terry, Wendzel,Draft, intl, FA
2B-Odor, Solak, Acosta, Apostel, Basabe
3B-Jung, Wendell, Apostel
SS-Andrus, Acosta, Basabe, Tejeda
OF- Calhoun, Gallo-extension, Heineman, Bayron Lora, Taveras, Thompson, Walker, Ornelas

1.Palumbo
2.Crouse
3.Winn
4.Allard
5.Burke
R Garcia, T Phillips, Ronny Henriquez, Yerry Rodriguez

plus guys from the 2017-2019 draft/intl signings who haven’t had a chance to shine yet, prospects they trade for and any FAs they sign.

Notable free agents for 2020-21

Catcher: J.T. Realmuto, Mike Zunino, Yadier Molina
First base: Matt Carpenter, C.J. Cron, Yuli Gurriel, Ryan Zimmerman
Second base: Starlin Castro, Jason Kipnis, Cesar Hernandez
Third base: Justin Turner, Zack Cozart, Jake Lamb
Shortstop: Andrelton Simmons, Jonathan Villar, Marcus Semien, Jurickson Profar
Outfield: Mookie Betts, George Springer, Yoenis Cespedes, David Peralta, Michael Brantley, Joc Pederson, Jackie Bradley Jr., Jay Bruce, Giancarlo Stanton (opt-out)
DH: Edwin Encarnacion
Starting pitchers: Jacob deGrom, Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, James Paxton, Masahiro Tanaka, Jake Arrieta, Marcus Stroman, Kyle Hendricks, Jose Quintana
Relievers: Blake Treinen, Sean Doolittle, Jeremy Jeffress, Alex Colome, Brandon Morrow

Notable free agents for 2021-22

Catcher: Salvador Perez, Wilson Ramos, Yan Gomes
First base: Freddie Freeman, Anthony Rizzo, Brandon Belt
Second base: Javier Baez, Kolten Wong, Dee Gordon
Third base: Kris Bryant, Eduardo Escobar, Travis Shaw, Miguel Sano
Shortstop: Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story
Outfield: Michael Conforto, Tommy Pham, Starling Marte, Kyle Schwarber, Byron Buxton
Starting pitchers: Aaron Nola, Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber, Max Scherzer, Zack Greinke Chris Archer, Mike Foltynewicz
Relievers: Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Brad Hand, Jeurys Familia, Corey Knebel, Archie Bradley, Raisel Iglesias, Roberto Osuna

The stadium will fill this year because it’s new. The stadium will fill next year because it’s still new and they will probably have their first winning season in awhile.
2022-2027 should be good times
Hopefully the Astros will have fizzled out by then.

at least those bastards got caught cheating and lost draft picks.

it’s very easy to root against this variation of the Astros. Most of the players on that team have a black mark on their record after the cheating scandal.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least those bastards got caught cheating and lost draft picks.

it’s very easy to root against this variation of the Astros. Most of the players on that team have a black mark on their record after the cheating scandal.
They will be booed frequently in other stadiums this year especially NY, Cleveland and at Angels ballpark