• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or neither of you could be right or what I think or are assumed to think could be wrong too.
Offering 6 years when everyone knew it had to be 7 years was one of those 2 things. He either didn't really want to spend or he was too foolish to negotiate properly. I am sorry if that bursts anyone's JD fanclub bubble, but it is very obvious.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that David Price can get traded with his bloated contract proves that you can trade bad contracts. The fact that a NL team signed Castellanos proves that even a weak defensive OF like Choo can be traded to NL teans.

We have hung onto a couple of guys with bad contracts because we wanted to keep them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right, or JD could have simply went about his job very poorly. I am not sure which is worse.
Possibly but I chose to believe that JD and the owners had it planned exactly the way it played out. They underbid intentionally with the exact results that was reached

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

8. Bayron Lora | OF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
relying on the same deadbeats odor and Guzman doesn’t seem too smart to me.

we saw what they could do the last few years. How many more chances are these losers going to get?

Betts would not make us a serious WS contender. A Rendon made sense. 1 and 2 year contracts do not

It’s so weird that both of you apparently quoted my post but didn’t read anything I said.

The Rangers aren’t making the playoffs even with Rendon or Castellanos. So what’s the point of maxing out the payroll to go from 79-80 wins to 86-88 wins? Do they let you hang over .500 banners?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s so weird that both of you apparently quoted my post but didn’t read anything I said.

The Rangers aren’t making the playoffs even with Rendon or Castellanos. So what’s the point of maxing out the payroll to go from 79-80 wins to 86-88 wins? Do they let you hang over .500 banners?
Both of those guys would have been here beyond this year. They were more important than the pitching we picked up for the most part. You cannot wait until you are ready to contend to start picking up long term help.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Angels now get Ross Stripling along with Pederson. Other minor leaguers believed to be involved.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it’s a multi year process. You gotta add pieces, hold onto what you’ve got, get some help from your minor league system.

you can’t just press a button and you’re ready to compete. Gotta work up to it.

the rangers could’ve taken some steps to “ work up” this offseason, but they didn’t.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agreed with first paragraph. About the only thing I sent I agree with on this site minus a few.
There are gripes galore

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with a lot of the points you made, a couple of comments.

Rengifo is a top prospect who can play second and shortstop and is a switch hitter. Joc Pederson (36 home runs) had 0 home runs against lefties because he can’t hit them. If the Angels resigned Kole Calhoun this trade is never made.

Kluber has lost 1.6 miles off his fastball in the last 5 years. That’s normal. Also it’s not his best pitch anyway.
36 home runs are 36 home runs, no matter what pitchers they came against. Even if he is a platoon player, he still adds 36 home runs to your roster at a respectable average.

And Kluber is widely viewed as damaged goods. I hope he returns to his dominant ace form, but there is a reason why Cleveland couldn’t get a better offer for him than Delino DeShields, Jr. Even 2-month rentals fetch more than that at the trade deadline.

Last edited:

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wrong. Dead wrong. A lineup with Rendon, Castellanos, Gallo, Calhoun, and Santana along with the trio of Minor, Lynn, and Kluber (hopefully) absolutely does compete for a playoff spot. You honestly think that lineup and that rotation couldn’t hang with the A’s and Rays? They’re in the next tier down from them as presently constructed. Two big bats easily puts them in Wild Card contention.

Plus, as others here have pointed out, you can’t wait until you are a legit contender to add cornerstone players. You’ll never even become a contender that way. Nobody here is advocating going out and spending hundreds of millions on a bunch of players. That’s hyperbole on your part. What we WANT is for the Rangers to add 1-2 cornerstone players... guys like Rendon or Arenado... when they have the chance. Then, with guys like those in the fold, they can continue to develop other less expensive players and turn the team into a true contender. You HAVE to have franchise players to build around. We currently have ZERO. Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun are nice players, but they’re not elite like Hamilton, Cruz, Guerrero, etc were. You need guys like Gallo and Calhoun to be your 4th and 5th best offensive threats, not your 1st and 2nd. And unless we sign a Rendon or trade for an Arenado, we’re putting all of our eggs in the Jung/Huff basket as our future cornerstone players. And while those guys are top prospects who COULD become elite All-Stars one day, Mike Olt and Jurickson Profar were once top prospects, too. Successful franchises rely on a mix of prospects and free agents/trades to build championship teams. We only have one of those currently, and not even a slam-dunk group at that.

Reactions: DTC

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. Dead wrong. A lineup with Rendon, Castellanos, Gallo, Calhoun, and Santana along with the trio of Minor, Lynn, and Kluber (hopefully) absolutely does compete for a playoff spot. You honestly think that lineup and that rotation couldn’t hang with the A’s and Rays? They’re in the next tier down from them as presently constructed. Two big bats easily puts them in Wild Card contention.

You don't sign Rendon to hang with the A's and the Rays. You sign Rendon to hang with the Astros and the Yankees. And signing Rendon doesn't achieve that.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't sign Rendon to hang with the A's and the Rays. You sign Rendon to hang with the Astros and the Yankees. And signing Rendon doesn't achieve that.

rendon would’ve been signed to a 6 or 7 year deal.

before you can hang with the cheaters and the Yankees, you gotta be able to hang with the second tier.

3rd base has been a massive hole since beltre left. Rendon was worth the full court press. Front office screwed up with a flimsy half ass pursuit.

Our infield remains one of the weakest in MLB. It is what it is at this point.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rendon would’ve been signed to a 6 or 7 year deal.

before you can hang with the cheaters and the Yankees, you gotta be able to hang with the second tier.

3rd base has been a massive hole since beltre left. Rendon was worth the full court press. Front office screwed up with a flimsy half ass pursuit.

Our infield remains one of the weakest in MLB. It is what it is at this point.
Yeah, you can't try and make your window opening and your pursuit of a top free agent coincide. We are close enough to go shopping for top tier free agents who will still be in their prime from 2022 to 2024. If you wait you may have to settle like we did for Chan Ho.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Plus, as others here have pointed out, you can’t wait until you are a legit contender to add cornerstone players. You’ll never even become a contender that way. Nobody here is advocating going out and spending hundreds of millions on a bunch of players. That’s hyperbole on your part. What we WANT is for the Rangers to add 1-2 cornerstone players... guys like Rendon or Arenado... when they have the chance. Then, with guys like those in the fold, they can continue to develop other less expensive players and turn the team into a true contender. You HAVE to have franchise players to build around. We currently have ZERO. Joey Gallo and Willie Calhoun are nice players, but they’re not elite like Hamilton, Cruz, Guerrero, etc were. You need guys like Gallo and Calhoun to be your 4th and 5th best offensive threats, not your 1st and 2nd. And unless we sign a Rendon or trade for an Arenado, we’re putting all of our eggs in the Jung/Huff basket as our future cornerstone players. And while those guys are top prospects who COULD become elite All-Stars one day, Mike Olt and Jurickson Profar were once top prospects, too. Successful franchises rely on a mix of prospects and free agents/trades to build championship teams. We only have one of those currently, and not even a slam-dunk group at that.

We need ELITE now and build on it. Nice post Will.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t sign him to hang with any one team. You sign him to make your team appreciably better, for both this season and seasons to come. Period.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3